Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times

Advertisements

Hey, I've been trying to start cooking for the family and helping us eat healthier and 'better'.

I purchased one of those two pack pot roasts from Costco last night and wondered is anyone had any ideas they might would share.

I was planning on putting one of them in a crock pot with some cream of mushroom soup and an onion soup mix, adding some potatoes and carrots and letting it cook all day.

I've just had problems with my pot roast being 'chewy' or a bit tough.

So, any other ideas or recipes that might be easy for me?

Oh, I'm a 38 yr old man who works about 12 hours a day so it need to be pretty easy and something I could put on cruise control. My wife and I have 3 kids, 13, 11, and 2 and they eat pretty good!

Thought the details on the family might help with ideas.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-08-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: 'put'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
I don't use a crock pot but slow cook in oven. Matter of fact doing one today.

Line a pan with 2 layers of foil (crisscrossed). Put meat in center, season, add carrots, mushrooms, sprinkle with Lipton's onion soup mix and add a can of cream of mush or cream of onion. Seal tightly. Cook 250 for at least 4 hrs.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
I always do my roasts in the crockpot.

I put the frozen roast in the crockpot along with carrots, onions, potatoes and then some herbs. I then fill it with water, put the top on and turn it to low. It usually cooks for about 11 hours at my house and so far I've never had a dry one.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:31 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I don't use a crock pot but slow cook in oven. Matter of fact doing one today.

Line a pan with 2 layers of foil (crisscrossed). Put meat in center, season, add carrots, mushrooms, sprinkle with Lipton's onion soup mix and add a can of cream of mush or cream of onion. Seal tightly. Cook 250 for at least 4 hrs.
What kind of pan do you use in the over to be able 'seal tightly'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I always do my roasts in the crockpot.

I put the frozen roast in the crockpot along with carrots, onions, potatoes and then some herbs. I then fill it with water, put the top on and turn it to low. It usually cooks for about 11 hours at my house and so far I've never had a dry one.
I never heard/thought about filling it with water. Do you mean literally fill the crock pot with water? Does it hurt to cook it more than 11 hours?

I leave the house around 7 or 8 but I can stop back by and start the crock pot later.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas so far! There's nothing like walking in the house after a crock pot has been cooking all day!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:35 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i make mine in a big pot.
first trim the fat, salt and pepper it. put a couple of tbs of oil in the pot, high heat, and place the meat in it. you sort of sear it on each side--leave the meat alone until it doesnt stick and has a bit of crustiness to it. do this on all sides.
add about 4-6 carrots, roughly cut--dont make them small, cause they will dissapear!
2 stalks of celery cut the same way, 1 yellow onion, 1 can of diced tomato, and then cover all of it with water.
i add spices, and a couple of bay leave and let it cook for about an hour and a half. then take the meat out and cut it into chunks, and put it back in...let it cook a bit more.
enjoy!
its only 2 of us and a baby, so we have left overs. with the rest, i warm it back up and add some small pasta when it boils--yummy

Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Pan I use a small roasting pan and criss cross the layers of foil so they fold and seal up-meat is basically "packaged in the foil".

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I never heard/thought about filling it with water. Do you mean literally fill the crock pot with water? Does it hurt to cook it more than 11 hours?

I leave the house around 7 or 8 but I can stop back by and start the crock pot later.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas so far! There's nothing like walking in the house after a crock pot has been cooking all day!
Yep I literally fill the crock pot to the brim with water. I'm sure if you cook it for 12 or 13 hours it won't hurt it any.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:51 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
If you're not adding water, that most likely is your problem. I always put a minimum of 1 cup of water in with my roasts. Usually when I use the crock pot, I add in the seasoning and veggies then fill with enough water to cover it all. I usually use dry onion soup mix for my seasoning too. I've let mine cook all day in the crock pot and it always ends up tender and falling apart when I cook it that way.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I put the roast in a slow oven if I have time, a 350 oven if I only have a couple of hours. Sprinkle Knorr French Onion Soup Mix on top, add a little black pepper to taste, pour about 3/4 cup of red wine over the whole thing, cover and pop it in the oven. 2 hours (for an average-sized chuck roast) at 350 or four or five hours at 300. A lot depends, of course, on the meat involved as far as flavor and tenderness are concerned, but this works pretty reliably and is very tasty.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:14 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
I marinate the roast overnight in a mixture of steak seasoning, worcestershire and soy sauce. Then I coat it lightly with flour and sear it in oil in a large pot. I cook it in the crockpot. Depending on the size of the roast, it usually takes 4-5 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low. (I normally get about a 4-pound roast.) I've never had a dry roast. I put some of marinade in the crockpot, along with a cup of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink