Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM

714 posts, read 2,308,522 times

Advertisements

That's really cool! I have never heard of Stained Glass Cookies before. I just Googled them and found this article/recipe which mentions LifeSavers and Jolly Ranchers:

Stained Glass Cookies Recipe | Simply Recipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,065,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
That's really cool! I have never heard of Stained Glass Cookies before. I just Googled them and found this article/recipe which mentions LifeSavers and Jolly Ranchers:

Stained Glass Cookies Recipe | Simply Recipes
Thanks!

They are really pretty and yummy too... kids love them, and they keep well.

You can make large cookies, cut out a few holes and put different colors in each space. They can look like cathedral windows if you are really artistic! Mine, maybe not so much....

http://onceuponacookie.blogspot.com/...stfinally.html
this site looks useful for ideas....

Last edited by southdown; 12-05-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,866,360 times
Southdown-getting something homemade is so very special. It means that person's gift came from the heart.

Now my address is...........

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 AM

714 posts, read 2,308,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Thanks!
Once Upon A Cookie: Tis The Season To Rest...Finally!
this site looks useful for ideas....

That site... is AWESOME. I haven't even begun to think about Christmas gifts this year, but I know it's going to be a lean year. This is inspirational, I think I will begin coming up with some ideas. Thank you!

(Sadly I can't rep you for this... Why can't I rep you? Argh. Someone rep Southdown for me!! )

Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
That site... is AWESOME. I haven't even begun to think about Christmas gifts this year, but I know it's going to be a lean year. This is inspirational, I think I will begin coming up with some ideas. Thank you!

(Sadly I can't rep you for this... Why can't I rep you? Argh. Someone rep Southdown for me!! )
Aw thanks, it's the thought that counts! We are saving our pennies too, as redundancy looms for DH ... and ... so that was part of the reason for doing the home-made thing.

I have been saving pretty paper and gift bags for ages, I am going to use it all up this Christmas, filled with cookies and fudge!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,277,236 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of making fancy decorated cookies, pretty wrapped fudge and some very colorful jams and preserves as gifts for friends and neighbors.

Be honest please - is that a good idea, or will it look a bit lame...? I am planning on using nice quality jars, wrapping, boxes etc.

Any tips, ideas, recipes?
My address is....

Ooops! I just saw Lacey's post. Two great minds, one great thought.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,937 times
I have been making peanut brittle for the last 25 years as gifts, and now if I forget someone they gently let me know. Which I don't mind. But it has grown so large, my daughter and daughter in law also make it with me. We have a week-end marathon. This year we went through 70 pounts of raw peanuts, and ended up with 135 bags of PB.
The best part is that its my grandmothers recipe, so I do think of her every time I make it.
Yes people love homemade gifts.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 AM

849 posts, read 1,954,386 times
Quote:
Me too, can't do it for me - but I can do detail for other people!

I was thinking of making 'stained glass' cookies to hang on the tree, can anyone recommend a good hard candy for that - I only made them in the UK before and they don't have the same sweeties here!
I just use Life savers for those. Worked good for me.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
I have been making peanut brittle for the last 25 years as gifts, and now if I forget someone they gently let me know. Which I don't mind. But it has grown so large, my daughter and daughter in law also make it with me. We have a week-end marathon. This year we went through 70 pounts of raw peanuts, and ended up with 135 bags of PB.
The best part is that its my grandmothers recipe, so I do think of her every time I make it.
Yes people love homemade gifts.
wonderful - is the recipe a secret.... or can you share?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,937 times
Quote:
wonderful - is the recipe a secret.... or can you share?
pm me with your e-mail. You will love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink