Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,337 times

Advertisements

You could try to order off their website to get your favorites. That's how I learned about them. They are too expensive for me now but their ice cream was good. They also kept switching drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Since we love about 70 miles from any decent grocery store, the Schwann's truck stops by the community abt every two weeks. We have tried a few things and so far all are very good. somewhat pricey, but, when you factor in the fact that a round trip to the store is about 4 hours, and gas....makes it easy for us sometimes to have things on hand that donot require a lot of prep. We work around the ranch etc, and building the house...sometimes by the end of the day..who wants to cook.

I just want to sit down and have my scotch and soda and something quick.

Hw and SIH...happy trails,
we have never purchased anything from them but we have a lot of friends who have and we have tasted a few things. Yes, they are not bad at all, serve a great service as many, especially seniors sometimes do have trouble shopping and their food is a lot better than some delivery trucks, but the cost is the main problem It is sooooo expenisve.....................I do know a couple widows in our area that are so glad to have Schwann's.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,766,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
You could try to order off their website to get your favorites. That's how I learned about them. They are too expensive for me now but their ice cream was good. They also kept switching drivers.
They have some good products, just way to expensive for most people. The reason the drivers keep switching is because they work on comission. When the driver discovers he can't make a living, he moves on to a "real" job.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
I just made out my Schwans order. 3 pizzas, 1 bag pierogies, 2 boxes lasagna roll ups, 1 bag of beer battered cod, 1 box haddock squares. With my points from my last order it was $53. That is 19 meals for me. I don't think that is expensive. Look at the price of a fish sandwich from McDonalds and it is a lot lower quality than the haddock squares. The pierogies are less than Mrs.T's. The lasagna roll ups are on sale this week so I ordered 2 boxes. You have to check the sale items.

I have never had a bad driver. Never pushy. About once a year they recommend a new product. I always tell a new driver to NEVER stop if I don't have an order placed.This was in Ohio and now in Arizona. My sister had a bad driver and quit ordering from them so I realize that there are some bad drivers out there.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
I never purchased from Schwan's, so I just went to their website to take a look. While I can't speak to the taste obviously, what immediately caught my eye is their portions. For example, their sale pizzas are 13" pies, which they say serves 8. A 13" pie is a medium-sized pie, (not a large one). Most pies are cut into 8 slices. That means they're figuring 1 slice of a medium pizza is one portion? It very well may be, but nobody I know eats just 1 slice of a medium pie as an entire meal.

That made me question other items, like their "Meat Lasagna with Four Cheese Blend", which they say serves two. I am guessing it really just serves one, at best. Sure enough, while reading the reviews, people have posted comments such as, "This wasn't much of a portion to split between 2 people." That makes the price per serving, which isn't bad, much more if just one person eats it and not two. Worse, the nutritional breakdown per serving is: calories 400, fat 14g, sodium 670 mg. and carbs 43. If that isn't bad enough and someone eats the whole thing themselves, that would be 800 calories, 28gm fat, 1340 mg. sodium and 86 carbs. Yikes!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
All companies list portions like that. One place had 2/3 of a muffin as a portion. A 13" pizza is 2 portions in my opinion.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
I have had several friends who purchase a significant portion of their groceries from Schwan's. I have NO problem with the quality of the goods that Schwan's sells. They are as good as most major grocery brands.

Having said that, you are paying a 40-70% PREMIUM over major grocery store prices and even more if you take advantage of promotional pricing available in most stores.

Is the convenience worth it? It is not for me.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,006,141 times
Like the ice cream. However, their entrees have way too much sodium.

HW

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
All companies list portions like that. One place had 2/3 of a muffin as a portion. A 13" pizza is 2 portions in my opinion.
2/3 of a muffin is insane.

Most places would note that a serving is 2 slices and then note servings per pie = 4. That tells anyone with half a brain there are 8 slices total. Claiming there are 8 servings to a pie is intentionally misleading IMO and that turns me off immediately.

Thank goodness I don't have a need to buy from them. If I want groceries delivered, my local supermarket offers home delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink