Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you typically eat before going to a party?
Yes 5 14.29%
No 7 20.00%
Unsure/Haven't thought about it 1 2.86%
Depends on Party 20 57.14%
Other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times

Advertisements

I've been brought up to eat something before going to a party instead of showing up hungry. I think it's because we like food but don't want to "pig out" in front of others. I'm certain people are enjoying themselves and likely aren't concerned if they aren't pigging out themselves, but sometimes I don't know what to expect (whether there's actual food or snacks/hors d'oeuvres). Also do you think either approach (eating before/coming hungry) is considered greedy, or that it doesn't matter?

I just wanted to see if this approach is common/uncommon and how/whether your circumstances vary (culture, familiarity with hosts, etc.).

(This includes all types of parties—even cookouts, barbecues, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
You better not eat before coming to one of my BBQ parties when I've spent hours BBQing pork butts, ribs, chicken and made homemade baked beans. You might not get an invitation next time .

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Yeah, I mean if you're going to a booze party that's not serving food... by all means eat before you go. If it's a food event go empty....

Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 AM

109 posts, read 155,521 times
No I say. Specially when it's a buffet party then I'll just have to starve myself before the party.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I always ask what can I bring so I can determine if it's an "eat at" party. If it is, I go hungry and take a big dish of whatever with me so I know I will at least get some of my own. If there are no eats and just a drinking get-together, I eat hardy before I go, as I sure don't want to be a cheap drunk with no food in my tummy.

Especially if going to Satx's house....he might be serving his BBQ - LOL

Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
I/we don't go to parties. We stay home or go out together and then we get ALL the food, like professional PIGGIES!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I first heard about eating before a party when I read "Gone with the Wind" in middle school. Scarlet and her sisters had to eat before parties so they wouldn't eat much at the party. They could just push their food around on their plates so they would appear to be ladylike and delicate.

I had no idea anyone actually did this in real life.

When I give a party I want people to eat! When I go to a party I want to have enough room to try everything!

If I noticed someone not eating much I would think something was wrong, or that the person didn't like the food.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:09 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
depends on the party and place,,,as dirt grinder stated- if he's having a bbq or cook-out dinner party- bring your appetites....

usually if im going somewhere- i have snacks in the car-just in case- i've been to cook-out parties where the host had no idea what he/she was doing and not open to suggestions- and it takes an hour or two longer to cook

if booze is there- much less of an issue-usually there are appetizers

if you eat before a dinner party- the host may have spent all day cooking,,just to have you and your family "pick" at it,,,,you dont want to say you ate before coming over, and the host is thinking you dont like the food

so the next time you invite him/her and family over to YOUR dinner party,,, and he brings a bucket of kfc -dont be offended

Old 06-29-2013, 06:49 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
I probably should clarify. By eat, I don't mean a full-fledged meal, but a snack, just so I'm not completely starving. I'll still eat a good amount, a good plate of food and have seconds of a couple items; but it won't be like home where I'll have half a plate of macaroni and another half of chicken and ribs. Or I'll have chips with one each of hotdog, burger, rib, and sausage before having a second hotdog or something. In other words I'll eat "enough" to show I'm eating decently without going "overboard."

It's good to know what other people do. Sometimes food still isn't quite ready when I get to a cookout, especially if I come relatively on time, so I'd hate to already be starving. I guess I'm just more conscious of what I eat in front of people.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
It totally depends on the party, who is having it and what time of the day? A cocktail party, absolutely no and the same with a dinner party. Maybe something in the afternoon we would have lunch first. Even a dinner party, if it was really late, like 8pm for dinner, we would grab a light snack about 4pm. The old parties, back in the party days (yes, I can remember, I will have you know ) we would eat a light dinner first. If we didn't we would end up smashed out of our minds. If it is a Sunday brunch, maybe spoiled brat will grab a piece of toast or a bowl of cereal early in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink