Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you eat Wild Game meat?
Yes 114 88.37%
No 6 4.65%
Yes but never again 9 6.98%
Other, explain 0 0%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 PM

789 posts, read 640,516 times

Advertisements

Venison, wild boar and Javelina!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Venison, quail, venison, caribou, frog, bison, alligator, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, duck, pheasant, frog... 'tis all great

Like any meat - the final taste/quality of wild/exotic game depends on (a) how the animal lived, its diet, (b) how it was killed [quickly, or strung out], (c) how it was butchered & cleaned, (d) how it was seasoned & stored [if at all], and (e) how it was prepared & cooked. IMHO, all of these are important, but if not cooked right, for the type of meat it is, then all other variables will not matter as much. I've seen very sad occasion where someone unknowingly ruined venison, for example, by improper cooking - and then the poor souls eating turning up their collective noses... and blaming the meat itself for being bad, and swearing off venison, stating worst meat they'd ever had.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What's cougar and beaver like ? I've never had either.
I had some mountain lion once at and it tasted like chicken Just kidding, it kind of reminded me of a pork chop, and was not tough, or strong tasting. Don't recall having any beaver, but mounted several though.(I did taxidermy years ago.) As far as the other wild game I've sampled, antelope, boar, bison, bear, burro, caribou, duck, elk, geese, moose, mule deer, pheasant, raccoon, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, turtle, whitetail are remembered. In the fish I've had just about everything from smelt to a salmon or trout from the Great Lakes. Never had sturgeon though. May have forgotten some, but as others have said, it's all how meat is handled from the start to on the plate. Don't go by one bad experience, someone else may prepare the dish differently and make you drool for more.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
I had some mountain lion once at and it tasted like chicken Just kidding, it kind of reminded me of a pork chop, and was not tough, or strong tasting. Don't recall having any beaver, but mounted several though.(I did taxidermy years ago.) As far as the other wild game I've sampled, antelope, boar, bison, bear, burro, caribou, duck, elk, geese, moose, mule deer, pheasant, raccoon, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, turtle, whitetail are remembered. In the fish I've had just about everything from smelt to a salmon or trout from the Great Lakes. Never had sturgeon though. May have forgotten some, but as others have said, it's all how meat is handled from the start to on the plate. Don't go by one bad experience, someone else may prepare the dish differently and make you drool for more.
I'll eat pretty much anything you give me ( and have done so already) and like you I think a lot of it is how it is prepared. I have had delicious insects and grubs and appalling chicken !

I'm game for most game. Dog really is my only taboo in the meat department and roasted tarentula ( being arachnophobic not my idea of culinary heaven !) . Apart from that bring it on...

Old 09-18-2009, 04:32 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
I've ate rabbit, squirrel, deer, turtle, pheasant, and wild turkeys.
Ain't nothing better than rabbit or squirrel with a good gravy and buttermilk biscuits.
Turtle soup is fantastic.

Haven't tried coon, possum, or groundhog yet. I probably wont go there.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:52 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
among other things i've eaten monkey, dog, horse, several kinds of snake, seagull, ants, grubs! If offered food in a foriegn country eat and enjoy first~ wait a while before asking what it is!
LOL, My rule was, "Only if I really liked it did I ask what it was" In W. Africa, diet is more a function of what you have than what you would rather be eating.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
I live in WA where a lot of men hunt.
I was given a venison steak once which I didn't really like, but I don't think I prepared it correctly.
I was told to cook it in butter, but the two flavors just fought each other.
What I really like is the jerkey and the sausage. I have had salmon, venison, goose, duck, and moose.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I've eaten rabbit, duck, venison, alpaca, cuy (guinea pig), iguana, goat, buffalo, and ostrich. Some are better than others, but all together not bad.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I've tried venison before, wasn't crazy about it. I make my burgers with bison meat. I've tried gator, rattlesnake, horse, eel, and dolphin. I can take it or leave it and would not go out of my way to eat it again. I would like to try wild boar some day. Especially if roasted/BBQ like they do in the Philippines or Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I've had venison, elk, bison, and pheasant. Liked them all except the pheasant, and I think that was because I had to clean part of them........turned me off from our dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink