Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,721,382 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Hubby has to leave here by 545 every morning. He does slugging (catching rides w/ people going the same way) so can't eat in the car/on the way there.

He was getting breakfasts from fast food places or the cafeteria in his building but it's too expensive. We've been buying frozen breakfasts for the microwave which are much cheaper, but still just as bad for him.

What easy, HOT breakfasts can I make for him to take? It can be something he can warm up there, but they only have a microwave - no toaster oven or anything else to use to heat up foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Make your own breakfast burritos and freeze 'em. He can pop 'em in a paper towel and zap 'em. Use corn or flour tortillas and fill 'em with bacon, eggs, whatever he likes. You can freeze a week's worth at a time, and it will cost you pennies.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 AM

stan, the eggs won't be rubbery? do I under cook them?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,183,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Hey all. Hubby has to leave here by 545 every morning. He does slugging (catching rides w/ people going the same way) so can't eat in the car/on the way there.

He was getting breakfasts from fast food places or the cafeteria in his building but it's too expensive. We've been buying frozen breakfasts for the microwave which are much cheaper, but still just as bad for him.

What easy, HOT breakfasts can I make for him to take? It can be something he can warm up there, but they only have a microwave - no toaster oven or anything else to use to heat up foods.
Considering that his employer does not pay him to eat, I would say that eating at work is inappropriate unless he is an hourly employee and is "off the clock" or unless your husband takes his lunch break time to eat. (Which would mean, then that he would not eat at lunch).

I realize that 545 am is early, however, there are many, many, MANY people out there who go to work considerably earlier than that. The secret would be to have your husband get up an hour earlier so that you can cook him a nice, healthy breakfast before he leaves.

That would be the best solution.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM

No offense, but that's not really your call to make. I asked for ideas about breakfasts, not thoughts on whether he should be eating there or not. Thanks though.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
You'll have to experiment with the eggs. Try just meat and potatoes, too! With cheese! That reheats wonderfully.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,547,402 times
A lot of people eat breakfast at work here and the bosses don't mind.

I usually have a cold breakfast.

Sometimes I have one of the following:

1) cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks or
2)cottage cheese with some cherry jello on the side or
3) yogurt or
4) irish oatmeal made with some fruit such as a diced apple and some dried cranberries.. usually add nuts too. Make a big batch of this and eat it for breakfast all week (this one I eat heated up of course) or
5) hardboiled eggs

Last edited by Debsi; 02-10-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM

I'm going to get some flour tortillas today!

Deb, since the Irish oatmeal is heartier, does it get as creamy? Or is it chewy? I've been wanting to buy it and try it but I didn't want to spend the money if I didn't like it.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,547,402 times
I got the idea of making it ahead from a friend of my brother's. My husband is grossed out by it (reheated oatmeal) and won't even taste it, but it reheats really well.

I follow the cooking instructions on the quaker box except I add my goodies near the beginning.
Lately it's been one diced up apple, a handful of walnuts or almonds, and a small handful of dried cranberries or blueberries. I also add brown sugar/maple syrup and some cinnamon. The berries will stain the oatmeal so you might leave them out if he's a picky eater.

The texture is chewier than regular oatmeal but that is why I like it. I hate oatmeal's "gluiness." It's not... crunchy.. or anything..
Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM

42,002 posts, read 75,366,570 times
I tote a couple of veggie sausages to work with me, along with a hardboiled egg or two.

And I keep quick-cooking (one minute) oatmeal in my desk for emergencies. Debsi, I'm going to look for the steel cut oats; I've been meaning to try them.

But I really prefer other-than-traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. Leftovers often are my breakfast. If you ask me, there's nothing better than cold pizza or pasta for breakfast! If he really has to have a hot breakfast, he could heat them up ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink