Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

It turns out I may be needed to host a team dinner for my son's lacrosse team on short notice. I think we're talking about maybe 20 teenaged(freshman/sophomore) boys and 2-3 coaches. What can I serve that is tasty, filling, not a huge mess and not too expensive? Hot dogs/hamburger and pizza have already been done.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Hmmm. I've dealt with that a time or two, let's see what I can dredge up out of the memory banks.

Do you have one of those big electric roasters, the ones that Wisconsinites call a Nesco? (As in "how many Nescos of baked beans do you want me to bring?") You can fill that up with bratwursts and potatoes, dump in a few cans of beer, rinse some sauerkraut and dump that over the top and roast for a few hours.

You could do a pasta bake: cook up several pounds of pasta to the point of being almost done (i.e., still somewhat chewy), drain and mix with your favorite pasta sauce and a little tomato paste, add a couple pounds of cooked crumbled hamburger and/or sausage, mix all together, put in a couple of 9x13 pans, sprinkle with grated mozzarella and bake at 350 for about a half an hour.

What we call "Mexi-sagna" is another very solid, filling dish that goes together pretty fast. Brown up a couple pounds of hamburger meat with some chopped onion, drain fat off, add a couple-three cans of Ranch-Style beans. Put a layer of corn tortillas on the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spoon some bean mixture over, top with grated cheddar cheese, repeat. It'll make a couple pans' worth. Bake at 350 until the top cheese is bubbly.

Chicken tacos would be another one. Buy the most inexpensive chicken you can find - we used to be able to find a 10-lb bag of frozen legs and thighs for about 19 cents a pound - and boil it until the meat is falling off the bones. Let it cool until you can handle it, then strip the meat off the bones, shredding it as you go, and mix with taco seasoning. (Save the broth, by the way, it'll make wonderful soup later.) Put it out with a bunch of corn and flour tortillas, chopped tomato and lettuce, salsa, jalapenos, and corn chips.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Big batches of Sloppy Joes, BBQ beef, or a pasta bake. You can also do a make your own taco deal. Lots of meat mix and then just set out the toppings. You can also order a 6 foot sub from a sandwich shop. Those always go over well and it would be really easy for you.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the ideas - I'm thinking of a bbq beef brisket. I can make in advance then warm in the oven. I do not have a roaster.....I hadn't thought of a pasta bake. That's an idea too. Keep em coming. I'm just trying to figure out where to put them. My house is pretty small. I'm hoping the weather holds out and then they can overflow to the deck! The dinner is usually right after practice so the boys will be STARVING!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
You'll want both plenty of protein and plenty of carbs to fill up those ravenous appetites. Brisket is a great idea, if you can get them inexpensively where you live (they're pretty pricey up here). I'd serve that with dozens of flour tortillas so the kids could make their own brisket tacos. A big vat o' beans of some kind would be a great way to fill them up inexpensively, too. My college-age son makes what he calls "cheater chili," which is just browned hamburger meat with those Ranch-Style beans added, and that's usually a big hit. If you have a favorite baked beans recipe or some other kind of legume, make a big pot of 'em, which can also be done in advance.

Oh, and the Nesco isn't essential, if you want to do the brat-and-potato roast. A big black spatter-ware roasting pan full of them in the oven would work just as well.

Don't forget about desserts. I'd probably get a couple of those gallon tubs of ice cream for the fastest, easiest solution. If you like to bake, dig out your easiest cookie recipe and make up a batch or two. A sheet cake is a fast easy solution, too.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Chili would work, as well. Just make a huge pot of it. That, or gumbo, with cornbread and/or Fritos for the chili, or bread and a big salad for the gumbo, were always really popular when my son was bringing the team home. (Now these men in their mid-30's will STILL walk in and stick their heads in the frig to see what's there when I haven't seen them in years, when they come over!)

Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
(Now these men in their mid-30's will STILL walk in and stick their heads in the frig to see what's there when I haven't seen them in years, when they come over!)
I love that! That's what I aspire to!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
You'll want both plenty of protein and plenty of carbs to fill up those ravenous appetites. Brisket is a great idea, if you can get them inexpensively where you live (they're pretty pricey up here). I'd serve that with dozens of flour tortillas so the kids could make their own brisket tacos. A big vat o' beans of some kind would be a great way to fill them up inexpensively, too. My college-age son makes what he calls "cheater chili," which is just browned hamburger meat with those Ranch-Style beans added, and that's usually a big hit. If you have a favorite baked beans recipe or some other kind of legume, make a big pot of 'em, which can also be done in advance.

Oh, and the Nesco isn't essential, if you want to do the brat-and-potato roast. A big black spatter-ware roasting pan full of them in the oven would work just as well.

Don't forget about desserts. I'd probably get a couple of those gallon tubs of ice cream for the fastest, easiest solution. If you like to bake, dig out your easiest cookie recipe and make up a batch or two. A sheet cake is a fast easy solution, too.
Thanks! Brownies or a sheet cake would probably work best here. I'm not 100% sure if I'll have it or not. The email came last night that a host was still needed for Thursday. I responded but have not heard back...either way, I'll have to do it sometime, so having ideas on hand is a good thing. I'm used to feeding 5-8 boys but 20 is more than I've had to do before...whew!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
We used to do team dinners for the varsity football team..40-50 hungry boys! a real crowd pleaser is baked mostacholli. use the huge aluminum pan and fill it up! lots of cheese etc. also, they loved italian beef sandwiches, or pick up fried chicken from the local grocery store deli (or KFC, popeyes). tossed salad (just empty a few of the pre-made bags) and some garlic bread. They love chocolate chip cookies, brownies, scotcheroos(they are a big hit).

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
I've done team dinners for girls. It was always pasta. Tray of stuffed shells, tray of penne ala vodka, tray of meatballs, big salad, rolls & butter.

Some moms would do spaghetti-but timing that always seemed too much work for me!

Have fun-I'm sure they will eat anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink