Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

Recently a magazine article mentioned Glorified Hamburgers. It made it sound like a standard recipe, but didn't include one.

I googled it and found more than one recipe. Maybe it never was a standard thing and people are just using the expression generally. Sometimes that does seem to be the case.

Here is some of what's out there. I'll just list the main added ingredients (no salt 'n' peppa) on some of the recipes, since quantities would vary depending on how many hungry mouths you feed.

All these things are stirred into the meat, mind you.

1. Cornflakes/sour cream/instant onion (whatever that is)

2. Chopped celery/ shredded cheddar/ ketchup/chopped onion (almost always a good thing in burgers)

3. Oats/milk/ketchup and egg. Then a sauce that includes ketchup, onion, and Worcestershire sauce

Do any of these look familiar to you?

I suppose everyone has there own versions of what they add to hamburger anyway. And it is getting to be grilling season soon, for everyone.

What do you add to your hamburgers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Those look like some of the ways my mother stretched the hamburger when I was growing up...

Onion soup mix is pretty good in burgers too.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
My late MIL added oat meal as a binder...Not bad if you don't over do it. We have started using a dab of oat bran. I like jalapeno slices in mine as well as onion bits. We have made two thin patties and stuffed with mushrooms and swiss cheese too. Imaginations can get creative with ground beef.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
We grill no matter how cold it is outside.
When forming the burgers, I use ground buffalo, and usually add gorgonzola cheese, garlic, and other spices, sometimes chipotle.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We grill no matter how cold it is outside.
When forming the burgers, I use ground buffalo, and usually add gorgonzola cheese, garlic, and other spices, sometimes chipotle.
Whoa! When you doing some of those next? Give me a couple days notice. Flights are cheap these days. I'll pop over! With a nice Aussie red.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
My late mother-in-law, who fed a family of eight on one small paycheck, would use oatmeal, breadcrumbs and other starchy fillers to extend the ground meat when she made hamburgers. I like the flavor it adds if the meat is greasier than usual.

We've done the stuffed hamburgers before, too, when you put cheese and grilled onions between two thin patties of meat, press them together and grill; our kids used to call them inside-out cheeseburgers.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I have never heard of "glorified hamburgers". To me, adding all those ingredients to hamburger meat just makes meatloaf. When we make our hamburgers, we keep it simple, usually just adding seasonings like Jane's Krazy Mixed up salt, garlic powder, etc. After the burgers are cooked we'll add things like chopped onion if we want. I've always wanted to top them with a good cheese when cooking them, but can't get dh to be more creative other than American cheese. And I just can't stand American cheese....

Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
It sounds good, and gives me a few ideas to give a burger a more healthy kick to it.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
I clicked on this thread expecting to see the ultra-expensive trendy hamburgers that are popular.

Interesting recipe, though I feel like it will make the burger dense, almost brick like. I just salt and peper mine, make sure there is enough fat, and gently shape them.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Hmm. Didn't think of it as a stretcher.

For flavor have added, at separate times, basil, dill, Italian seasoning.

Getting hungry for a burger now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink