Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times

Advertisements

I made a sour a couple of months back, starting it with yeast, then diligently feeding it daily with a little flour and fresh water .. good, (expensive) organic white and stone-ground (hah!) whole-wheat ..

.. day, .. after day .. stirring

keeping the cloth damp, .. changing bowls every wk, glass or porcelin, never using metal for stirring ..

Decided to make a pizza one night. When the dough hadn't risen as much as it should have and time being of a factor .. had to go for it.

It was the worst pizza I have ever made! dull, flat and boring .. blah!
I've always had great success with sours, making the pizzas, and had such great expectations for this one. What a let-down!

Even used new yeast when making the pizza dough, adding some of the sour, then returning some of that mixture to the sour again.

Fed it for another week, and decided to make a foccaccia .. for a social gathering of course. .. and it was about as boring as the pizza!

So I think I'll give it a toss. Tired of babying the damn thing. Some you win, some you don't ..

Last edited by stone-ground; 05-28-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 PM

263 posts, read 745,275 times
Default talk to me about the yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I made a sour a couple of months back, starting it with yeast, then diligently feeding it daily with a little flour and fresh water .. good, (expensive) organic white and stone-ground (hah!) whole-wheat ..

.. day, .. after day .. stirring

keeping the cloth damp, .. changing bowls every wk, glass or porcelin, never using metal for stirring ..

Decided to make a pizza one night. When the dough hadn't risen as much as it should have and time being of a factor .. had to go for it.

It was the worst pizza I have ever made! dull, flat and boring .. blah!
I've always had great success with sours, making the pizzas, and had such great expectations for this one. What a let-down!

Even used new yeast when making the pizza dough, adding some of the sour, then returning some of that mixture to the sour again.

Fed it for another week, and decided to make a foccaccia .. for a social gathering of course. .. and it was about as boring as the pizza!

So I think I'll give it a toss. Tired of babying the damn thing. Some you win, some you don't ..
giving up and throwing out a sourdough is always hard...too bad it didn't work out.
are you sure you followed the directions to the letter? i know there are hugely different recipes and methods, so i won't even try to guess what's up with yours. temperatures and water quality and flour quality and time issues...they can be pretty persnickity.
i do a flemish desem bread and my starter is 30 years old. when he is happy he makes real nice whole-grain bread and pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink