Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 AM

176 posts, read 638,613 times

Advertisements

I have to mention Costco.

I don't shop there myself, but when I visited my mom recently, and went with her there - i had to admit that some of the meat prices were really pretty good.

Though, I can see how you would have to train yourself not to shop till you drop there too, if you go with Groceries as your primary goal, which does tend to happen in such a tempting store.

Last edited by Lionsdale; 06-08-2009 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: spelling etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Use your freezer and shop the grocery store ads. When your favorite chicken part is on sale, stock up, and repackage it into meal-sized portions in zip-lock freezer bags. Don't forget to label.

Don't buy much pre-packaged junk, as others have said. That stuff is really really expensive compared to real food. It may seem cheap at 2 for $5, but what are you getting? 8 tiny granola bars? 4 pudding cups?

If there's something you really like (i.e. my DH and Post Shredded Wheat), you wait for a sale and stock up. Kroger's Big Brother Reward Card software tracks my purchases and so I also get store coupons for shredded wheat cereal.. buy two and save $1.50. Wait for the next sale and you might get two boxes of name-brand cereal for about $1.50 each instead of the usual $4.00.

I also shop the ads on fresh vegetables, buying what's on sale.. but only if it looks good. If there's something not on sale that looks better/we like better, then I buy it. I do my grocery splurging in the produce section because fresh vegetables are so yummy and so good for you. (OK OK, I also bought a $13 bottle of Simi wine this weekend ) You'd be amazed how much more space in your cart the same $$ amount worth of fresh produce takes up (versus boxed and canned products).

Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I agree about Costco, as long as you have the storage for the mega-amounts you have to buy.

I also agree about doing your own deboning--just making things from scratch if you can take the time. I know people can be so tired when they get home from work, but sometimes cooking can be very relaxing and therapeutic.

I have already been buying many Publix products with success, and now buy their cereal instead of the name brands and find it quite good--and far cheaper.

I eat a lot of yogurt. I started making my own yogurt (in the crockpot) and I am amazed at how tasty it is and how long a batch lasts.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
One thing we have never skimped on in our home is quality food. I shop in our "Fresh Market" which is eq. to Whole Foods, for meat, fish, produce & fruits. We find because of the quality of the food there is virtually very little fat and we actually have leftovers. One of the best buys that I have found are Tyson, boneless chicken breasts 4-5 lb pack for less than $16.00. I cut them diagonally in half and than pound to 1/8" thick, double the amt. of chicken for less than $16. Pack in Food Saver bags (the meat can be frozen in these up to a year.) I use the Green Bags for fruit and vegetables which save a lot of money in the long run. We don't have any waste or spoilage of food.

I have always used these tips:

1. Don't go shopping when you are hungry
2. If possible shop w/o the kids
3. Check the unit weights and costs
4. Make a list & stick to it
5. Check your pantry, fridge & freezer
6. Try & plan meals around the items you have on hand

I never buy pre-packaged items. Buy what is in season and local. Start a garden. You can eat very well without taking a second mortgage out on your home. Good luck to you.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times
I buy from Costco (non-perishables, meat and spices) and Kroger. I found I can get good, thick cuts of pork chops from Costco for about $15 and each container holds about 10 chops. That's enough for DD and me to eat on for a month. I also get the chicken they sell in the vacuum-sealed packs. I can get approximately 36 chicken wings (six in each package, six packages in a bundle) for about $15 to $17. DD doesn't like beef, so I haven't bought any in a while, but the cuts I've seen there look great. I'm not a fan of seafood, but I can eat the marinated Alaska salmon that Costco sells. That is the only item I splurge on (can't even remember how much it costs). I also get paper towels, toilet paper, spices and sports drinks from Costco. Those are items we can get through without them going bad. For everything else I go to Kroger.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:59 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,478 times
Thanks for the responces all, keep 'em coming! lots of good tips!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I eat a lot of yogurt. I started making my own yogurt (in the crockpot) and I am amazed at how tasty it is and how long a batch lasts.
I never knew you could do that. How.........?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Aldi is a great alternative to Costco as one doesn't need a membership to shop there and they have cheap prices on many basic food items. Just remember to bring a shopping bag with you (as they charge for bags) and pay with either a debit card or cash (as credit cards are not accepted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink