Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Pho get about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethatspice View Post
Moroccan, Korean and upscale Mexican cuisine are really on the rise. I have learned to cook a dish from each group. I must say they are all simply divine!
This is an interesting post, but I am amazed, after 4 years it is re-opened and I don't have a clue where you live, but we have lived all over the country and I really have never seen a huge move to try Moroccan food. And what is upscale Mexican? Mexican is just that, some better than other dishes, Mexican is different than Spanish, but I have never heard of Upscale Mexican and certainly, it isn't mainstream. Korean, maybe?

I would say, a trend toward Cuban and Indian foods has hit throughout the country. Of course we all know Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Thai food are very trendy, but some have been for years. I don't even think about ethnic like Italian, French and Chinese because they have been main stream here for generations.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
In Southern California: Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Greek, Middle Eastern, Thai, Vietnamese, French.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I'm in Chicago and I'd say:
Mexican, Italian, "Americanized" Chinese, Sushi, Indian, Greek, Arab, Polish, Thai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've had pierogis at home, but working in stores, I've found them sold in the frozen food section of the store. Somewhat surprising to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is an interesting post, but I am amazed, after 4 years it is re-opened and I don't have a clue where you live, but we have lived all over the country and I really have never seen a huge move to try Moroccan food.
I would say, a trend toward Cuban and Indian foods has hit throughout the country. Of course we all know Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Thai food are very trendy, but some have been for years. I don't even think about ethnic like Italian, French and Chinese because they have been main stream here for generations.
Chinese (has been around for decades), Mexican, Indian, Japanese (sushi), Thai and some Mediterranean
hummus, baba ganoush (spread), stuffed filo & falafals) are Americanized. Hard to find geniune Polish, Italian, German & Czech for us anymore because they lost their appeal and oh, how we miss those French crepes.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is an interesting post, but I am amazed, after 4 years it is re-opened and I don't have a clue where you live, but we have lived all over the country and I really have never seen a huge move to try Moroccan food. And what is upscale Mexican? Mexican is just that, some better than other dishes, Mexican is different than Spanish, but I have never heard of Upscale Mexican and certainly, it isn't mainstream. Korean, maybe?

I'm not sure what the other poster meant by "upscale Mexican" but I imagine it's a sit-down place where everything isn't served in a tortilla.

Having lived in Central Mexico, nobody there eats tacos for dinner. NOBODY. They eat more like a typical American family - a protein, a vegetable, a starch (or 2 or 3 of same in a stew). Just different seasoning. But that wouldn't be 'upscale', just family-style.

I'm guessing upscale would be more like Bayless' restaurants in Chicago or Sandoval's in NYC. Meals similar to what you might have for a business dinner or more expensive night out in Mexico City. Which bears no resemblance to a tacqueria.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

I'm guessing upscale would be more like Bayless' restaurants in Chicago or Sandoval's in NYC. Meals similar to what you might have for a business dinner or more expensive night out in Mexico City. Which bears no resemblance to a tacqueria.
That's what I think as well. Menus - Rick Bayless | Frontera

Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Chinese is the only good one I can think of, besides that, ethnic people tend to have the most disgusting foods, especially Thais, Africans and Mideastern people.

I don't consider Italian or French food to be "ethnic" considering the fact that many Americans have ancestry traced back to those counties. Same with Cuban and other Latin foods.

American food is the best and has the cleanest restaurants too. A lot of ethnic restaurants tend to be crappy and run-down looking.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Love middle eastern food, actually there is a new report from doctors who say A Mediterranean diet is the
healthiest. Vietnamese is also delicious and has a fresher taste than Chinese.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm not sure what the other poster meant by "upscale Mexican" but I imagine it's a sit-down place where everything isn't served in a tortilla.

Having lived in Central Mexico, nobody there eats tacos for dinner. NOBODY. They eat more like a typical American family - a protein, a vegetable, a starch (or 2 or 3 of same in a stew). Just different seasoning. But that wouldn't be 'upscale', just family-style.

My wifes family lives in Guadalajara and I have to disagree with you.

Of the many times we have been back there to visit family, since being married in 1991, just about every time they had tacos of various fillings at one time or another por Cena during our stay. Not everynight but at least once or twice during a 10 day trip.

HOWEVER, corn tortillas were offered with everymeal. If your a real mexicano then you understand that eating your meal with tortillas and not silverware means your eating tacos ALL the time.

Everyday when my wife aunts or grandmother didnt make fresh pressed corn tortillas for meals someone ran down to the tortilla factory and picked some up for the day. I loved to go on those tortilla runs with my wifes Uncles and male cousins. Got to hit a few of the local watering holes without worrying about getting my ass kicked.

Street tacos are also VERY popular in the neighborhood for dinner where her family lives.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
We have upscale mexican and upscale tacos. Basically our places use nicer ingredients (organic veggies, grass fed beef) and nicer presentation. Also, they tend to pick up lots or regional specialties that aren't very common.

As for ethnic food that is now mainstream? I think the winner is absolutely siracha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink