Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I replaced the meat with chicken or other alternatives. I may buy steaks once a month, for example. We are not buying our typical cheeses and crackers. (It was our friday special to accompany the movies). And we're not eating out as much as usual. Ah! and no more sodas.

We still can't cut out the icecream!

same
I second the cheese and crackers thing as well. I was starting to get crazy with the different cheeses I was trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
We really didn't cut back at all. I always cooked from scratch and never had processed foods in the house so it really hasn't been a big deal to us. I shop Super Walmart every 6 wks. for canned goods, rice and beans. Once a week in our "The Fresh Market" which is the same as Whole Foods and buy our organic produce, fruits, fish & meats. We use Sam's Club, which is 1/2 mi. from our home, as a reg. supermarket to purchase 1/2 & 1/2, eggs, butter, dets. as needed.

We made one change, instead of buying half gallons of ice cream, I buy the dixie cups, my dh is the ice cream addict so one cup a night is his treat., & his chol. has gone done quite a bit.

I staple all of my receipts to my appt. calendar and we average $100 a week for everything, and we eat very well, we have fresh fish & great meat dinners every night.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
We really didn't cut back at all. I always cooked from scratch and never had processed foods in the house so it really hasn't been a big deal to us. I shop Super Walmart every 6 wks. for canned goods, rice and beans. Once a week in our "The Fresh Market" which is the same as Whole Foods and buy our organic produce, fruits, fish & meats. We use Sam's Club, which is 1/2 mi. from our home, as a reg. supermarket to purchase 1/2 & 1/2, eggs, butter, dets. as needed.

We made one change, instead of buying half gallons of ice cream, I buy the dixie cups, my dh is the ice cream addict so one cup a night is his treat., & his chol. has gone done quite a bit.

I staple all of my receipts to my appt. calendar and we average $100 a week for everything, and we eat very well, we have fresh fish & great meat dinners every night.
I always found Whole Foods to be ridiculously expensive. The local farmer's market is much, much better. Wow, you only spend $100 a week? How many people in your family?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Cut back on fast food, eating my own cooking instead. Blech! Eating less meat, and more grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes, eggs...

I like fruit juice, but soda is relatively cheaper. Still, some weeks I've cut myself to two sodas a day (drinking them at work) and drink Kool-Aid instead--usually the generic version. Was already bringing sodas to work every day instead of buying them when I got there. I used to spend $15 to $20 a week to buy them out of the machine, or the register. Not now.

Also, I refuse to pay a buck for a small bag of chips or a candy bar.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Cut back on fast food, eating my own cooking instead. Blech! Eating less meat, and more grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes, eggs...

I like fruit juice, but soda is relatively cheaper. Still, some weeks I've cut myself to two sodas a day (drinking them at work) and drink Kool-Aid instead--usually the generic version. Was already bringing sodas to work every day instead of buying them when I got there. I used to spend $15 to $20 a week to buy them out of the machine, or the register. Not now.

Also, I refuse to pay a buck for a small bag of chips or a candy bar.
Speaking on the eating less meat. I've been trying to eat vegetarian one day out of the week.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
We eat the same. Fresh fruits and veggies, meat and fish, plenty of low fat dairy, few processed foods.

No sense in being penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to food. You'll have to pay back anything you save in medical bills eventually.
My thoughts exactly.

It seems that the more pre-prepared or processed the food, in some instances, the more it costs.

And the cheaper alternatives sometimes lack the nutrition of the natural original.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

It seems that the more pre-prepared or processed the food, in some instances, the more it costs.

And the cheaper alternatives sometimes lack the nutrition of the natural original.
You can buy cheap healthy food. I have bought a bag of frozen broccoli for $1.00 at Walmart. Carrots and citrus fruits are also pretty affordable at least in my area.

I have cut out soda, chips, candy. These items are not necessary so I quit buying them. I make my own coffee instead of going to Starbucks. I also try to make at least on vegetarian meal a week. Meat seems to be getting less affordable.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I buy less meat for sure, and limit my oldest son to one large cup of milk at each meal (that kids could put me into bankrupcy with the amount of milk he can drink).

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
For the past few years, I've bought frozen veggies, and relied on the convience of cans as well. Not so this year. We planted a garden again this year, a huge one.

I'm also experimenting with a winter garden this year, and have been researching what I can plant. It is fun and I am excited to find more than I thought can be planted.

I've filled 2 freezers full of fresh veggies and made my own tomato relish and hot pepper sauce as well as veggie soup.

DH is thinking of a couple of hogs and while not raising a meat cow this year, at least buying and haveing one butchered for our meat. Locally grown and one should last us all year.

We've pretty much eaten home cooked meals from scratch all our lives, so the change is just giving up a bit of convience to prepare from fresh.

I even make my own jelly, have done so for years. I've also made a churn of pickles and a few batches of ice box pickles from the cucumbers we planted.

My goal is to get my shopping list down to very little food items to be bought. Just staples like flour, sugar, meal, milk and bread.

We get fresh eggs from neighbors so I don't have to buy at the store.

With the cost of cleaning supplies, I have pared down what I clean with as well, going back to basics.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Vegetables. The money is better spent on steak, lamb, KFC and Vodka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink