Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times

Advertisements

I love using my crock pot/slow cooker. It's so convenient and so energy and time efficient! So last weekend I started reading through one of my crock pot recipe books and picked a few new recipes to try.

Last night was the first experimental dish. It was for stuffed lemon sole wrapped with prosciutto di parma. The stuffing was bread crumbs, fresh lemon zest, chopped parsley, chopped toasted walnuts and 2 eggs to bind it. They pictured it with roasted new potatoes and asparagus and it looked absolutely divine in the photos.

Blech. If you ever come across this recipe, don't even bother with it. We picked at what we could tolerate, then threw the rest away. The fish and prosciutto were actually tasteless and the stuffing was pasty and overpowering. Thank goodness we didn't try this on guests!

So what was your worst recipe experiment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Last year when I made the BIG MISTAKE of subbing ground turkey for the usual ground beef in my delicious spaghetti sauce. It was horrible. I just assumed I'd like it because I love roast turkey so much. Boy was I wrong. That's what I get for trying to cook "healthy". I used 5 pounds of turkey and made 10 quarts of sauce.

I didn't throw it away though. I can't afford to waste food I've just sunk a bunch of money into making, so I ate every drop of that sauce, but I will never make that mistake again.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
I made a Roast Beef the other night using some stupid high heat method online. It was promised that the beef would come out med rare to medium. Well I like my roast beef rare so I cut down on the cooking time even more.

OMG it came out med well to well done and was tough as leather. I was so mad!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I made a Roast Beef the other night using some stupid high heat method online. It was promised that the beef would come out med rare to medium. Well I like my roast beef rare so I cut down on the cooking time even more.

I tried this high heat method on our prime rib for Christmas the year before last. It was horribly overcooked and I ended up throwing most of it out.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I tried this high heat method on our prime rib for Christmas the year before last. It was horribly overcooked and I ended up throwing most of it out.
Ugh. Never again! I should've asked here first!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,990 times
I can't remember instances-but I know in the past I have tried recipes-followed it to a T- and they came out horrible.

Now a days I try to find recipes with user ratings-how they liked it and what they did to improve it.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Last year when I made the BIG MISTAKE of subbing ground turkey for the usual ground beef in my delicious spaghetti sauce. It was horrible. I just assumed I'd like it because I love roast turkey so much. Boy was I wrong. That's what I get for trying to cook "healthy". I used 5 pounds of turkey and made 10 quarts of sauce.
Sadly, I guess because of the moisture content, ground turkey SUCKS in place of ground beef in pasta sauce. However, if you are looking for a delicious, and I do mean amazingly good, recipe to use with ground turkey in your spaghetti, I cannot recommend this one enough.

Super-Size Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Cheese (http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipes/rachael-ray-30-minute-meals/Super-Size-Turkey-Meatballs-with-Spinach-and-Cheese/Print/ - broken link)

The two things I've done different are that I have not tried it with the spinach mixed in yet, and I turn the meatballs over halfway through the cooking time. Oh, and I use olive oil cooking spray instead of the oil itself to save on a few calories. And I'm just recommending the meatball portion of the recipe, not the sauce part, as obviously you'll be using spaghetti sauce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

I've never heard of the high heat method for cooking beef. I know some people recommend it for cooking the Thanksgiving turkey, but since I cook my bird upside down, I don't have a problem with juicy tenderness, so the high heat method that's supposed to solve that problem isn't necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post

I can't remember instances-but I know in the past I have tried recipes-followed it to a T- and they came out horrible.

Now a days I try to find recipes with user ratings-how they liked it and what they did to improve it.
You have just inspired another thread topic!

Thanks for all the replies so far, everyone!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
I have a dish I call my Sunday Whatever Quiche - 10 to 12 eggs, a can of chopped green chilis, some dried red pepper and whatever other spices I feel like throwing in, whatever left-over meat I have in the fridge, whatever left-over vegetable I have in the fridge, and whatever left-over cheese I have in the fridge. Mix it all up and pour it into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350. Cut up into 6 squares, freezer-wrap, and throw it into the freezer for when I don't want to cook. I've gotten some really good combinations out of it.

Until I tried sliced pepperoni as the meat of the week.

My ghod, it was nasty.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

I have a dish I call my Sunday Whatever Quiche - 10 to 12 eggs, a can of chopped green chilis, some dried red pepper and whatever other spices I feel like throwing in, whatever left-over meat I have in the fridge, whatever left-over vegetable I have in the fridge, and whatever left-over cheese I have in the fridge. Mix it all up and pour it into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350. Cut up into 6 squares, freezer-wrap, and throw it into the freezer for when I don't want to cook. I've gotten some really good combinations out of it.

Until I tried sliced pepperoni as the meat of the week.

My ghod, it was nasty.
Oh my, pepperoni quiche? Yeah, I'd imagine that'd be rather yucky. Way too greasy, I bet.

I do the same thing with omelets, but I like your quiche idea a lot. I may have to try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Some have been learning experiences but I do not remember us throwing anything out. We may have re-engineered a few dishes but such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink