Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge sauerkraut fan but I hate how much sodium there is in a can of it. Does anyone know how much rinsing it off with a collander and squeezing it decreases the sodium content of it? If not does anyone know where to buy low sodium sauerkraut? I don't get why it has to be so salty the main thing I like about it is the sour taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
The salt is in the processing of cabbage to sauerkraut.

You could rinse it to cut the sodium, I don't know how much it helps, but it would remove some of it. So would soaking it. The salt would move from higher concentration to lower concentration.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
I've never seen low sodium kraut, but I've never looked. You could compare labels on different brands, perhaps you could shave off a few mgs that way. I would also check bottled and refrigerated brands, they may be lower too.

Rinsing will help some, but hard to tell how much exactly if you are counting mgs.

One trick I do with pickles is peel and spear fresh cucumbers, then soak them in leftover pickle juice for a few days. They get the pickle taste without as much sodium as regular pickles, but they don't keep as long. You might try this with leftover kraut juice, I would lightly steam the cabbage first to soften it a little.

You also might try to make your own, but I'm not familiar with the process myself.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
I used to cook for my Dad who had sodium problems. I've rinsed my canned vegetables with tap water (mushrooms, all beans, etc) for years, ever since an old doctor told me it removed 40% to 50% of the sodium.

That said, I've never rinsed sauerkraut, since I won't eat the stuff But Mother Earth News has a recipe for Easy Salt-Free Sauerkraut that might be worth investigating.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I just can't see making my own sauerkraut when you can buy a can of it for 60 cents :d. I bought some the other night at the store and every brand I checked had the same amount of sodium in it, basically a ton haha. I've read about some low sodium ones online but I don't know where you can buy them you probably have to go to one of those health food stores like Whole Food's or something. That sodium free recipe is pretty amazing if I ever get brave I might give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink