Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you cook food at home that is better than a 5 Star Restaurant?
Yes, my cooking is better than any eating establishment 13 31.71%
NO! They Chiefs at 5 Star Restaurants are pros and have access to better quality food 9 21.95%
Maybe once in a while 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:07 AM

128 posts, read 403,421 times

Advertisements

Are you a great cook? Do you have access to high quality food at your local grocery store? Are you willing to put in a lot of effort to use special recipes to add flavor and creativity to your food? If so, why eat out so often?

I have friends who insist that because they are such great cooks and shop at such high end stores they are able to create food at home for family and friends that is far superior and much more tasty than the best 5 Star Restaurant in New York City. Do you believe them? Or is it not possible to create food at home as good as American best restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
I believe some people can cook that well. I can't though! I have made some things that taste really good that I got from a copy cat restaurant cook book I have. Every once in a while I find a recipe that has the family "ohhhing" and "ahhhing". Most of the time I shoot for good taste and healthy. I don't think most restaurants worry too much about healthy, which is why everything they make tastes so good and why you gain lots of weight if you eat out a lot.

Our family did make Shabu Shabu last week and it was fantastic. Considering that the local restaurant that makes it wanted $30 a person for it, I'd say it could have tasted a lot worse and I'd still have been happy!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
DH thinks that my spaghetti with Sunday gravy is better than any Italian restaurant. That might be because he wants to see if the stove really works!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
We have a fridge and freezer to keep food in.
We have a stove and a grill to cook it on.
My wife knows how I like my food cooked and seasoned.
And how she likes hers. And she knows how to make it like that.
Why should we take a chance on eating out and maybe not liking what we get versus eating at home and getting our meals exactly like we like them.
Once in a great while we might eat out.
But we would rather eat at home and know it's going to be how we like it.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Depends upon the restaurant. I'm a great plain cook, with access to high quality foods, but I'm not in a league with an accomplished chef.
Can I do as better than a chain restaurant? Sure. Actually, I just realized that restaurants can do steaks better than I can, since I don't have the high heat they do.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
No. I have not had the years of training, do not have access to the very best ingredients and quite frankly can't be bothered. I am lucky to live in an area with some fantastic restaurants and chefs including a few Michelin starred ones so I could not even begin to produce anything of that caliber. Many of our local restaurants use only organic ingredients, many grow their own vegetables and fruits, raise their own pigs for ham and bacon as well as pork, cattle, chickens etc.. and provenance and sustainability is quite a big issue for many local restaurants which is important to me.

I am a decent home cook and can produce some very tasty home dishes if I try. Anything sophisticated however is way out of my league... But it gives me an excellent excuse to go out and eat out so I am not complaining as I loathe cooking anyway.

I love all kinds of food from the simplest and plainest dishes to the most adventurous and fancy ones and sadly I am not a "fancy" chef ! My main area of weakness in cooking is sauces and fish. I adore both but they always taste better in restaurants.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Depends on where you live, too. I live near a town of less than 5K, not too hard to do and I suck.

Fresh ingred. and homemade can't be beat, imho. Especially when you can get the kids involved.

But it sure is nice to be waited on and have no clean up.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
how hard is it to pan fry a fillet mignon and micro a potato?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I have been cooking at home for friends and family for about 30yrs now.
I would be a fool if I stated that I can consistently create dishes that match up to the finer restuarants and chefs. These are companies and people that have in some cases hundreds of years of experiance in the kitchen. It would be absured to assume someone without professional skills could accomplish that on a regular basis. Plus not to mention the access to professional appliances. I do however have access to the most diverse and freshest food on the planet given the area where I live.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I'll let you know once I've dined at a 5-star restaurant.

But don't hold your breath, as I'm still working my way through all the hundreds of hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink