Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times

Advertisements

I need some new ideas: It seems like all we see anymore on the food network is chopped. I have been watching "worst cooks in America" this season, but it will be over tomorrow night. For some reason I am even a little bored with that. OK, we still have guy and some of Bobby's programs, but it just seems they have run out of idea. We used to get so much more. Even the winners of the last "future stars" haven't gone on to do much, if anything. I can watch the food channel but it is also nothing but a bunch of competition.
Am I missing something or just getting old and cranky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 07:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
If you want real cooking or food based shows, try PBS.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,434,665 times
I'd love to see a new show teaching people how to cook healthier.
Good food, not tree branches and leaves..

People like myself who stab at eating good foods but are stuck in the Grandmas meat and potato's rut.
It's a daunting task trying to eat "right" and do a lifestyle/food choice change while not really knowing where to start.

There so much crap at the store geared to healthy choices and I feel most of it isn't..

Old 03-04-2017, 07:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
^If you want to eat healthy, begin with cooking and eating whole foods. Real proteins, real veggies, real grains. Eliminate most or all precooked, prepackaged foods.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,914,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you want real cooking or food based shows, try PBS.
This. I gave up cable tv a number of years ago when Food Network became the Guy Fieddi/Chopped Channel. These days, I watch Martha Stewart's shows (Cooking School, Martha Bakes) and America's Test Kitchen on PBS' Create TV channel. Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, Rick Bayless, Steven Raichlen, and Joanne Weir all have numerous series there. I wish Ina would move to Create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I'd love to see a new show teaching people how to cook healthier.
Ellie Krieger has a show on Create, Ellie's Real Good Food.

https://createtv.com

Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,460,237 times
The LiveWell network does as well.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times
go on youtube....my god theirs 4 million recipes..

from pigroasts to eating anything raw.....

whatever you like its on there,,

i like the survival and foraging challenges,

also the history of foods and cooking techniques...

and different food for different cultures..

all on youtube..

if you have a smart tv you can pull up youtube on your tv...

Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
This. I gave up cable tv a number of years ago when Food Network became the Guy Fieddi/Chopped Channel. These days, I watch Martha Stewart's shows (Cooking School, Martha Bakes) and America's Test Kitchen on PBS' Create TV channel. Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, Rick Bayless, Steven Raichlen, and Joanne Weir all have numerous series there. I wish Ina would move to Create.

Ellie Krieger has a show on Create, Ellie's Real Good Food.

https://createtv.com
We used to call the food network; Rachael Ray network. Then yes, it became Guys network and now it is Guy and chopped. I think we need to pay more attention to PBS. I just have a thing about PBS and NPR. Maybe it is time I grow up.

Don't get me wrong:I do watch PBS on occasion, but rarely and I listen to NPR when I am in the car and there is no decent music playing.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
go on youtube....my god theirs 4 million recipes..

from pigroasts to eating anything raw.....

whatever you like its on there,,

i like the survival and foraging challenges,

also the history of foods and cooking techniques...

and different food for different cultures..

all on youtube.

Generally, I have found the videos on YouTube to turn out a lot better than what you get off the various food shows on TV. You generally get better techniques.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
PBS, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink