Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM

20 posts, read 135,238 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from any Windstar owners who have taken theirs in for rear axle inspection and found to have cracks in them. Interested in knowing what your dealer is saying about estimated time to repair and/or Ford's re-purchase offer.

I have a 2003 Windstar that went in this week for inspection. Did not pass and is now rendered unsafe to drive. Ford is providing a rental (I have to pay sales tax only) and the rental is currently authorized for up to 90 days. Am told parts are not available to replace. Also told that Ford may contact me in the next few weeks with a re-purchase offer. Can't get any info from Ford's customer relations as to how they are determining re-purchase price.

anyone have any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM

152 posts, read 651,090 times
Not yet BettyLou but we just received the letter from Ford today. We have in our co. fleet a 2003 Windstar and whenever my boss has it taken in I guess he'll find out the scoop.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyLouToYou View Post
Would like to hear from any Windstar owners who have taken theirs in for rear axle inspection and found to have cracks in them. Interested in knowing what your dealer is saying about estimated time to repair and/or Ford's re-purchase offer.

I have a 2003 Windstar that went in this week for inspection. Did not pass and is now rendered unsafe to drive. Ford is providing a rental (I have to pay sales tax only) and the rental is currently authorized for up to 90 days. Am told parts are not available to replace. Also told that Ford may contact me in the next few weeks with a re-purchase offer. Can't get any info from Ford's customer relations as to how they are determining re-purchase price.

anyone have any info?
It is up to the discretion of the dealer and Ford to determine whether to repair or buy back the vehicle. Given the age, mileage and overall condition, Ford seems to be leaning towards the buy back option as the cost of the buy back is less than the cost to repair the vehicle.

Ford has not issued any statement regarding how much they will buy back the vehicles for, but have guaranteed that it will meet or exceed market value. If they follow what Toyota did with the Tacoma's that had frame issues I would expect them to offer KBB retail value plus about 20%. They may also additional incentive if you replace the vehicle with a new Ford (Toyota offered to sell replacement vehicles at actual manufacturer invoice).

Looking at a 2003 Windstar Limited with average miles (99k) and standard options, the offer should be in the $7,900 - $9,500 range. Obviously if the car was older, higher mileage and less options it would drop that price. What I can guarantee you is that they will NOT be offering a full refund.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
For those who may want to know what it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
1998-2003 Ford Windstar Recall Re: Rear Axle Breakage-cracked.bmp  

Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 15,166 times
My dealer called 2 weeks ago stating that Ford was offering $2350 for my 1999 with approx. 150k miles. There are also supposed to be incentives for purchasing a new or used car from a Ford Dealer. I don't know what they are yet. Ford Motor Company called this afternoon to inform me my buyback offer was being mailed today via FedEx so... I should know in a day or 2. Doesn't sound like a very good offer to me though considering the van ran well and I can't find a replacement for that amount.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
I replaced a neighbor's rear axle approximately three months before the recall took place. My neighbor's van's rear axle actually split which made the top of both rear wheels fall inwards against the body. I bought a new rear axle from Ford and it cost $500. If anyone reading this has the crack and would rather keep their van and are somewhat mechanically inclined, they can spend the $500 for the rear axle and change it themselves. I do a lot of side work on vehicles and with taking my time this job took me approximately three or four hours. It actually is not hard to change at all.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarf15 View Post
My dealer called 2 weeks ago stating that Ford was offering $2350 for my 1999 with approx. 150k miles. There are also supposed to be incentives for purchasing a new or used car from a Ford Dealer. I don't know what they are yet. Ford Motor Company called this afternoon to inform me my buyback offer was being mailed today via FedEx so... I should know in a day or 2. Doesn't sound like a very good offer to me though considering the van ran well and I can't find a replacement for that amount.
That offers about $2k MORE than trade in value and about $1k less than clean retail. Overall it seems like a pretty fair deal depending on what other incentives they are giving. I've heard the purchase incentive will be x-plan Ford supplier pricing, which is about equal to 2% over true dealer invoice and about 1% lower than actual posted invoice and you can use any active rebates and finance offers as well. Pretty much the best deal you are going to get on a Ford outside of being an actual employee.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 PM

20 posts, read 135,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Ford has not issued any statement regarding how much they will buy back the vehicles for, but have guaranteed that it will meet or exceed market value. If they follow what Toyota did with the Tacoma's that had frame issues I would expect them to offer KBB retail value plus about 20%. They may also additional incentive if you replace the vehicle with a new Ford (Toyota offered to sell replacement vehicles at actual manufacturer invoice).

Looking at a 2003 Windstar Limited with average miles (99k) and standard options, the offer should be in the $7,900 - $9,500 range. Obviously if the car was older, higher mileage and less options it would drop that price. What I can guarantee you is that they will NOT be offering a full refund.

From other online forums and comments on articles that I have found, the buy back offers are ranging from $2000 to $3400 on 1998-2000 model years. I haven't seen anything about offers made for 2001-2003 model years. People who have received the offers are all pretty much saying, NOPE, I'll drive the rental at Ford's cost til the axle can be replaced. It does not sound to me like Ford is making good offers, certainly not KBB retail plus 20% as you say Toyota did! I would take that in a heartbeat if Ford were to offer it. I haven't gotten anything from them so far . . .but mine is a 2003 and it looks like they may not be making offers on 2003s yet. I am not asking for a full refund, but I did just purchase mine in April from a used car dealer and I have a loan on it, so would definitely want a decent price to help pay that loan down or pay it off.

I hope others will post about the offers they are getting . . . I am keeping track and paying attention so that if Ford does make me an offer, I'll have others to compare it to.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyLouToYou View Post
From other online forums and comments on articles that I have found, the buy back offers are ranging from $2000 to $3400 on 1998-2000 model years. I haven't seen anything about offers made for 2001-2003 model years. People who have received the offers are all pretty much saying, NOPE, I'll drive the rental at Ford's cost til the axle can be replaced. It does not sound to me like Ford is making good offers, certainly not KBB retail plus 20% as you say Toyota did! I would take that in a heartbeat if Ford were to offer it. I haven't gotten anything from them so far . . .but mine is a 2003 and it looks like they may not be making offers on 2003s yet. I am not asking for a full refund, but I did just purchase mine in April from a used car dealer and I have a loan on it, so would definitely want a decent price to help pay that loan down or pay it off.

I hope others will post about the offers they are getting . . . I am keeping track and paying attention so that if Ford does make me an offer, I'll have others to compare it to.
I made that post based on what people were thinking the offers would be following industry example. Now that some of them have started to get offers it seems Ford is going with the fair market value, which they are judging to be between clean trade and retail value per Galves. There is a formula they use to determine it based on year, trim and miles, but only Ford corporate has that information. They aren't even telling the dealers what the offers will be. However, the dealers are the ones responsible for evaluating the condition and cost to repair.

Either way it seems that they have decided that it might be cheaper to fix the newer models than buy them out, especially since owners may still be carrying notes on the cars and that adds a whole new issue for them. I would be surprised at this point if they did buy out anything 2001+ outside of cars with very high miles. The Ford dealer that is part of my company has to my knowledge done one buyback and two repairs. The one buyback was a '99, both repairs were '02's.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 15,067 times
I'm very happy w/ the offer I got from Ford. I bought my 98 used in01. it has 191K and a few wrinkles, and not a loaded model either. Ford gave me $2805. I've had a rental for a week and will just need to turn it in when I get the check. The dealer was very helpful. I got the verbal offer within a few hours of bringing my van in. The only bad thing was my van was still a good runner and I didn't plan on getting rid of it, but thought this was a good opportunity to get something a little newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln