Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

I know someone who has a 2007 Ford Expedition and he got a low tire pressure warning on the dash. The U-concave shaped icon with a dash on it. He filled his tires properly but the icon is still lit and hasn't gone out automatically as it does on some other models once he started driving it again, but the tire pressure is fine now in all tires. He does not have his owner's manual.

I tried to do some googling for him as he's in the process of moving and doesn't have his ISP hooked up yet at his house, but I'm coming up with varied different methods to turn off the icon. I would THINK it would be an easy matter of just resetting a button, but nooooo doesn't seem to be that easy. Found everything from multi-start the ignition posts to using a special magnet, to a "clicker" that comes with the car (he didn't have one), to several different things in-between.

If anyone is aware of the magic sorcerer's spell needed to just turn this warning icon off, please let me know and I'll pass it on. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
I'd try filling the tires to a few PSI short of the maximum pressure on the sidewall. If that doesn't make the light go out, you probably have to replace the sensors that monitor the pressure. Or just unhook the idiot light.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
we recently had our warning light come on our '11 Mustang. I checked/corrected the air pressure (all 4 tires were within 1.5 psi) and drove the few miles to try and reset, didnt help. Took it to a dealer and the sensor was bad and had to be replaced (well, whoever put on tires for the previous owner damaged the sensor and held it together with string. Yes i said string...).
There was a "remote" that could be used to re-train the sensors on our car that garages use and can be purchased for home use, i am not familiar enough with Fords to say if thats the case with an 07.
But based on what i found while doing my own google searches:
There may be some tire stores in your area who are willing to reset the tires/sensors for low cost or free, whcih will work if the sensor is ok and it just needs a reset.
Take it to a Ford garage and have checked. We drive our 'stang enough on little trips that this was the route i took.
Or hope the sensor, if bad, at least isnt somehow loose in the wheel which could cause issues down the road, and just live with it.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I had a 2009 Subaru I bought brand new with this problem as well as my 2012 VW. One option I could definitely live without. The SUbaru, the dealer replaced the sensor, but it eventually came back. The VW I have, I checked the tire pressure and all is good. Its not worth my time to take it to the dealer to have them replace something. AGain, worthless option they install on cars. As long as you actually check your tires and all is good I woulndt worry about it. Yes it is annoying, but so is keeping your car at the dealer for a day to fix a simple problem, lol.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I know someone who has a 2007 Ford Expedition and he got a low tire pressure warning on the dash. The U-concave shaped icon with a dash on it. He filled his tires properly but the icon is still lit and hasn't gone out automatically as it does on some other models once he started driving it again, but the tire pressure is fine now in all tires. He does not have his owner's manual.I tried to do some googling for him as he's in the process of moving and doesn't have his ISP hooked up yet at his house, but I'm coming up with varied different methods to turn off the icon. I would THINK it would be an easy matter of just resetting a button, but nooooo doesn't seem to be that easy. Found everything from multi-start the ignition posts to using a special magnet, to a "clicker" that comes with the car (he didn't have one), to several different things in-between.
If anyone is aware of the magic sorcerer's spell needed to just turn this warning icon off, please let me know and I'll pass it on. Thank you.
Did he try putting air in all the tires? Maybe it is signaling for yet another tire?? Not a mechanic or that talented with cars but my first thing would be to put air in all the tires and see if that did the trick. This has to be aggrevating to see that light on allt he time.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:57 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
When I had a similar problem with a Toyota I consulted the manual. It had a procedure, and it worked.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Inflate your tires.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
The sensors do not transmit a signal if the vehicle is not moving, and they go into "sleep mode" when the vehicle is stopped for 30 minutes or more to conserve battery life.

If the TPMS warning light comes on, it could indicate one of the following:
  • A Low tire (check the inflation pressure of the tires and inflate to the recommended pressure)
  • The spare tire is mounted on the truck
If the TPMS warning light flashes for 70 seconds, then remains on steady:
  • A faulty TPMS tire pressure
  • The TPMS sensors have not undergone the proper learn procedure
  • A faulty Vehicle Security Module (VSM)
  • A communication fault between the VSM and instrument cluster
  • A communication fault on the vehicle data bus
If you have a scan tool that can read body codes, plug the scan tool into the diagnostic connector under the steering column. Any of the following are TPMS codes:
B106A - Faulty Pressure Sensor Signal (range bit)
B106B - Low tire pressure sensor battery
B2477 – Vehicle Security Module not configured correctly
B2868 – Left front tire Pressure Sensor Not Found (requires VSM relearn procedure)
B2869 – Right Front Tire Pressure Sensor Not Found (requires VSM relearn procedure)
B2870 – Right rear tire ressure Sensor Not Found (requires VSM relearn procedure)
B2871 – Left Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Not Found (requires VSM relearn procedure)
B2872 – Tire Pressure Sensor Fault (activate sensors with tool and do VSM relearn procedure)
C2780 – ECU in manufacturing mode (requires VSM relearn procedure)

Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Did he try putting air in all the tires? Maybe it is signaling for yet another tire?? Not a mechanic or that talented with cars but my first thing would be to put air in all the tires and see if that did the trick. This has to be aggrevating to see that light on allt he time.
Yes, that would fall under the "He filled his tires properly" part of my original post.

Thanks for the suggestions folks - I'll pass them on to him today.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Usually this indicates a bad sensor. If your friend knows someone with a scan tool, they can plug it in and read the pressure in each tire. The one that is out of whack will be evident. Three of them will read 35 psi, and the fourth will be something like 107 or even zero.
I HATE that system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln