Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Just for proper reference the prius info is not irrevelant. All the hybrid componets are either designed by toyota or are actual panasonic/toyota parts. People have changed their own batteries in those just like 1st gen prius for around 500$. Not trying to vonvince you of one choice or another, it's just that the spreading of so much MISinformation is ridiculous.
Simply not true.

Ford licensed a fair amount of Toyota hybrid technology. In other words the "know-how." Ford realized that its hybrid technology was similar to Toyota's and decided that licensing the technology was better than a patent war. That doesn't mean the parts are Toyota or manufactured by Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
My CU offers 2.25% APR on a used car loan (if you do autopayment, direct deposit): Star One Credit Union - Rates
Right, but new. Or if you buy down the rate. Looks like non discounted used starts at 3%, which is a good deal if it's true for a 6+ year old car. Often, older the car, higher the rate.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentimentalDemon View Post
Thanks for the info, I do appreciation the correction. And it may be an unlikely problem to even encounter; it's just that I understand the risks and costs of a traditional vehicle, but when I saw the cost on the Ford site for the Escape battery it was above replacement value (and since hybrids haven't been around as long I suppose that translates to more vulnerability when a mechanic quotes a repair). It does sound like the gas savings wouldn't offset the higher up front costs, so that's why the long term maintenance costs/risks are enough to have me hesitate.
Ford doesn't want you to replace the battery, they want you to replace the vehicle. Charge enough to put people off and you get a (hopefully) new car sale. Keep those stats up!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Transmissions fail, do you have $3k in place for that?
Yes.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Simply not true.

Ford licensed a fair amount of Toyota hybrid technology. In other words the "know-how." Ford realized that its hybrid technology was similar to Toyota's and decided that licensing the technology was better than a patent war. That doesn't mean the parts are Toyota or manufactured by Toyota.
WRONG.
VERY true Hoff.. there's nothing you're gonna teach me about hybrids Hoff.. The batteries in the Escape are made by Sanyo, partly owned by Toyota, the CVT which is what makes one of these full hybrids operate the way they do is made by Aisin, WHOLLY owned by Toyota. AND of course they have to license the tech from Toyota as well.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Ok here's an article to straighten out some stuff between the Ford and Toyota

Ford-Toyota Partnership: Hybrid Market Leaders Double Up - NYTimes.com

Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Ok here's an article to straighten out some stuff between the Ford and Toyota

Ford-Toyota Partnership: Hybrid Market Leaders Double Up - NYTimes.com
Great and breaking (8 year old) news with no specifics. doesn't "straighten out" or add anything. Although I don't need any help with it. I truely undersrand how the ford/toyota relationship works. As well as the suppliers owned by Toyota that make many of the parts in the Ford and Nissan hybrids. The biggest reason there is not a 2013 Escape hybrid is NOT the Cmax, but because Toyota/Aisin could/would not garuntee Ford a sunfficient number of CVT's.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,357 times
Default batteries

Ford Motor Company ,regulated by the government to have to warranty the batteries & electric part of the car for 150,000 miles or 10yrs, call you local dealer for any extended warranty facts before those times hit

Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Ferretkona - your wife's 36/25 mpg - was that with a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder? Is that the same mileage I'd expect with an earlier model? That is impressive.

Consumer reports had a black mark by the transmission. When did it go out? I suppose that is something you just budget for when negotiating a used car. Any reports on the reliability of replacement trannies?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
Apparently you live in Virginia. The warranty changes depending on which state you live as some states consider the battery as emissions equipment. The warranty for your Escape would be 8 years or 100,000 miles. So the battery is about expire on warranty. Considering a new OEM battery from Ford costs $8,000.00 plus installation, I'd consider this car junk as it's pretty much a dead horse on it's last legs. I wouldn't want the car at all but if they are negotiable, I'd offer them $1500.00 max. Otherwise, you're buying a money pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln