Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have a 2001 Mustang with rear wheel drive of course. I can't tell you how many times I was in the ditch last nite. It is normally "okay" on the snow....but the roads weren't plowed a single bit. A good 5 inches of unplowed roads equals me gunning it at 100mph, just to get back on the road after people were helping me push it out.

So I was thinking, can I put weight in the back? I know people do this. I just don't know how much or what to use.

I've seen the tube sand before, but could I just get play sand at Lowes for less than 3 bucks? They usually weight 40 pounds I beleive .

Also how much do I put in the trunk? Can I put 500 pounds in there?

What about placement? Stack them on the right and left or just spread them all out so their even?

Another question which might trump all previous questions? I believe my left suspension is "going out" if you will. I can hear it when going over bumps...the left back side. I plan on fixing it of course, but would like to wait till it is a little bit warmer. Would adding several hundred pounds cause it to just plain break? Should I get it fixed first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
A hundred or so pounds would be plenty.. try to keep it just over the rear axle or just in front of it. DEF NOT all the way to the rear... unless you like the pendulum effect which by how many times youve already been off the road in it I doubt itm. Can you say tankslapper?..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Although I think adding weight back there would help you out quite a bit, another important aspect of traction is tire type. It’s amazing what a good set of snow tires can accomplish on a RWD car. I don’t get any snow where I live but I feel your pain because the one time I took my RWD Genesis Coupe into snowy territory (Nevada) to visit family it was a nightmare even with snow chains (summer tires didn’t help).

Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
First off get snow tires.

Second we have found it takes a lot of weight with most of our cars to make a significant difference. You are balancing against the engine and driver which weight hundreds of pounds. With our Ranger, we see significant improvement at around 400 pounds. It continues to improve up to about 600 pounds and then the handling goes downhill fast. My Camaro is pretty hopeless, but there is some improvement at about 300 pounds. My Sons T-bird shows improvement at around 200. 100 pounds really is not very significant in dealing with distribution of vehicle weight. Maybe some cars will see a difference with 100 pounds, I have not in any of our cars. I have to believe 40 pounds will do nothing.

We put really good snow tires on the T-bird. At first we did not think it made that much difference. However in the past year, we compared more and more and realized it does make a substantial difference. When we researched it, there were only two non-studded snow tires that work worth a darn. Blizzack W ** 70 and Winterforce (forget who makes winterforce). We went with the blizzacks because they were considerably cheaper ($450 out the door)

Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
adding about 100lbs to the trunk of a rear wheel drive vehicle is a time honored tradition for driving in the snow. and it doesnt really matter what the weight is made of, it can be lead, sand, concrete, or what ever, as long as it is contained and stable. it doesnt do any good to put 100lbs of say lead in the trunk only to have to move around on you as you go around corners.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We use pea gravel and sand. Simply because it is cheap and we usually have a use for it in the spring. Also if a bag breaks open, it does not rust out your car like salt. Further it does not hurt it to get wet inside. Gravel is better because it is easier to clean up a spill than sand. Plus we find more uses for gravel in the spring. Usually we get some sand and a lot of gravel. That way we have a little of each when we need it.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I solved my Mustang winter driving problem in 2007. Kept it in the garage in the winter and bought a 1995 Jeep YJ.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
My 72 Cuda 340 was nearly impossible to drive in unplowed snow.

Front wheel drive was a great invention.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Sooo adding weight won't break the suspension that is already making sounds?

If not ill buy some sand and throw it back there.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I solved my Mustang winter driving problem in 2007. Kept it in the garage in the winter and bought a 1995 Jeep YJ.
Already told my GF my next car when this one dies is a 4WD jeep. Not a cherokee though....their hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln