Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 AM

872 posts, read 2,028,921 times

Advertisements

So, I will probably end up posting a bunch of threads about vehicle models/opinions but they will all die eventually.

As some of you probably saw, I am deeply interested in buying a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic with a 1.4 Turbo. However, another car I am hearing (A LOT) about is the 2014 ford focus, which as a rating as high as 8.8/10 on some car sites.

Now...my girlfriend has a 2004 ford focus with 103,000 miles...while it has never had any major repairs (haven't even changed the timing belt or water pump yet) it seems to have somewhat of a sluggish tranny now and it seems that the car will be dead by or a couple of years before 150,000 miles.

My question is...do you or do you know of anyone who has newer models (2008+) that has 60,000+ miles that can talk about the quality of the build of the new versions?

I've had a chance to drive a 2013 as a rental (wagon) and the acceleration/mpg/etc. all were excellent.

Here's kind of my thing: if I pay $18000 for a new Sonic, I'd hope it last at least 150,000. If I am going to pay 3000 more for a focus, I am hoping it'd last at least 200,000. I know the interior for 2014 has been radically changed (plus it has those super nice soft-touch materials).

P.S. Interesting story: I had japense neighbors who bought a new 2013 ford focus a few months ago and love it. Thats a telling story in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Oldest daughter had a 2003 with 170K plus on it. Her major issue was a motor mount which needed to be replaced a couple times. It was killed this summer by a 6 point whitetail deer.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Are you wanting the hatchback or the sedan. The sedan could be had around $15K (SE trim) and the Hatch around $16K. Either one much better size vehicle than the Sonic IMO.

If you want to automatic, make sure you test drive a few, the transmission has dual clutch and takes some time to get used too. I test drove a stick and interested in one. Overall good built, great handling for the price.

The engine is a direct injection, long-term reliability to be seen. Would need some good TLC with regular oil change etc.

The 2012+ Focus is a totally different car than the previous generation, so we don't know how well it will last.

I am not sure where Chevy went with the Sonic, if per tradition it is another Daewoo car re-badged as Chevy, I will just pass.

In you budget range, I will also look at Mazda 3, which is what I also test drove and it is a great car. My reservations were, Mazda being a smaller company with some financial struggle and also I already have another Mazda.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Dual-Clutch automatic transmission? How exactly do they work? the one I had as a rental did not (appear, at least) to have anything that I had to manually do while driving. (PS, would these be ideal for driving in the mountains?) I'm looking for a sedan, not big on hatchbacks. Are DI engines known to be unreliable?

I did notice the 2014 mazda coming out soon, the interior doesn't look quite as nice and I believe the engine (outside of the 2.5) is a bit slower than the Focus.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,662 times
I wouldn't view the Sonic as comparable to the Focus.

The 2011+ years are a complete revamp over the previous models.

There are also a number of other makes and models that you should consider as well.

I've driven the Sonic but if I were going that route, I would move on up to the Cruze.

But none of these cars would be my first choice. Do you have a price level you can state?

The dual clutch transmission is also known as an auto-manual transmission. I recently drove one (a 2013 Veloster - I drive for a local dealer) and didn't even know it until I saw it listed beneath the shift lever.

The dual clutch transmissions from Ford seem to have had some teething problems. I had a 2011 Ford Fiesta with this transmission and it is different. This demonstration will provide the advantage over a manual transmission as it can shift faster than a human can. And theoretically there is about a 10% improvement in fuel mileage. I did actually get over 50 mpg on the car computer while on a road trip through Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-O4ljZBl4

Whatever you buy should be thoroughly test driven.

Check out the April issue of Consumer's Report and then use Edmunds to compare up to five vehicles side by side for dimensions and other vital data as well as pricing.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM

I would like to spend $22,000 tops.

Major wants:

-DECENT acceleration. Clearly I don't need a z06, but I've driven some awfully slow cars: 2012 Honda Civic, 2012 Nissan Versa, 2012 Ford Fiesta...need something a bit quicker than that. I will be driving through the mountains often and I need something that won't whine the entire time.

-Reliable I want something worth the money

-Needs to be decent in the snow/rain.

-35 mpg minimum hwy/26 minimum city.

-Sedan, not hatchbacks

-automatic

Last edited by RunTheDistance476; 09-22-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
2014 Mazda 3?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:55 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I had a 2012 Focus SEL hatchback that I just traded in on a new Edge. I put about 20,000 miles on the Focus and was very satisfied. The engine was lively and the handling was excellent, so was the ride and quietness. The car was lots of fun to drive and given it's size very comfortable, it's a nicely refined car.

The dual clutch trans was fine; I think some people are put off by the slight chattering it sometimes makes at low speeds on steep ramps and such. But if you think of it as a manual trans with a little man inside working the clutch and gear lever rather than as a conventional automatic then the noises make sense.

The Chevy Sonic is made in The United States.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:59 PM

I know the Mazda 3 isn't exactly released yet, but I wonder what a 155hp skyactiv sedan vs 160hp ford focus sedan race would result in? The mazda (I believe from released pricing) is ~$1000-1500 more for a comparable focus. One thing I do like about the focus is the soft touch materials that would have to be included in the mazda 3.

Are these engines basically the same strength?

Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
You will get more bang for the buck looking at end of the model year priced to move 2013 Ford Focus models on dealer lots right now over the first year of production Mazda 3 models which may have some have first year problems that the focus will not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln