Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:55 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

A new Lincoln Continental is coming out and could have easily been a Taurus, since it addresses the current Taurus failure (Cramped Interior & probably a bit lighter). The current Taurus is pretty much the same since 2010, except the minor revisions of 2013 with the powertrain and very minor interior upgrade.

The Fusion is nice, but could use an extra inch or 2 in the rear.

Ford has nothing to compete with the Avalon, Impala, or any other Full Side Sedans, since a Continental starts around 45K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 02:23 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Taurus is due for a redesign for the 2018 MY. It is supposed to migrate to the CD4 platform which underpins the Continental.

So they have not abandoned it. The redesign has just been a long time coming. I'd keep my eye out this auto show season for it.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:22 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
OP, I often think the same thing myself.....

Old 09-23-2016, 05:40 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
When Ford released the Five Hundred, here was a car with a high roofline, plenty of head room, and sat high up similar to crossovers and SUVs. People could easily get in and out without hitting their head. It's drawback was styling. To me it was a decent FWD replacement for the Crown Vic. Then Ford chopped the roof down and renamed it the Taurus. This improved the styling but sacrificed headroom and low door entry.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:58 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
I just bought one. Compared it to the Impala and Accord, I just liked the Taurus better. Fit and finish is much better than the Chevy's and the seats are world's more comfortable than the Honda's. And after a couple of long trips in the car I'm very happy with it. Solid, quiet, very comfortable, and the fact that they all come standard with a 6 is nice since I just don't trust a 4's longevity in a heavy car. But that's just me.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
A new Lincoln Continental is coming out and could have easily been a Taurus
If Lincoln is in with any hope of creating a name for itself that doesn't invoke visions of tarted-up Ford models with which the respective Lincolns share underpinnings, this would be the worst idea ever.
Quote:
Ford has nothing to compete with the Avalon, Impala, or any other Full Side Sedans, since a Continental starts around 45K.
Not a large market, that one. And, in fact, to answer your assertion from the thread name, Ford likely abandoned the Taurus BECAUSE everyone wants a "glorified station wagon crossover". At least until gas is back up to $4/gallon, anyhow.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:12 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Ford or ANY manufacturer only want to produce products that sell well!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Ford or ANY manufacturer only want to produce products that sell well!
Ford is the reason why this isnt selling well, as the made no effort to address the Taurus problems, other than actually address it and send the car to China. Look at the Malibu, people didnt buy into in in 2013 and GM did a emergency fix the following year, while it did make the car slightly better until the 2016 one came out, atleast GM tried.

With the 2010 Taurus, you have a 200 in car that feels as comfortable as the 189" smaller Fusion, but the huge center console makes you feel like you are in a coffin, the dash board comes all into your personal space, the rear seats have poor legroom for a car this huge, and it has very poor rear view and huge blind spots. In 2013 if Ford, redesigned the center console, put in a new dash, different/slimmer front seats to give an inch of 2 to the rear, that alone would have made the car 70% better for its full size. Dont get me wrong the Taurus has comfortable seats, the 3.5L is geared well and handles decent for its size, but the Impala, Avalon, Lacrosse, 300, Charger are more spacious on the inside.

It has a huge trunk bugger than anything ive ever seen, but last time I checked we dont ride in the trunk, unless your into some mo type of lifestyle. This is probably the reason why folks and even the police just bought an Explorer instead.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
If Lincoln is in with any hope of creating a name for itself that doesn't invoke visions of tarted-up Ford models with which the respective Lincolns share underpinnings, this would be the worst idea ever.
Not a large market, that one. And, in fact, to answer your assertion from the thread name, Ford likely abandoned the Taurus BECAUSE everyone wants a "glorified station wagon crossover". At least until gas is back up to $4/gallon, anyhow.
I have the original crossover that built the segment, the Subaru Forester- regularly gets a bit over 30mpg highway. I don't drive many miles presently, only need to fill it up every month to month and a half.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yeah, it made no sense that they replaced SUV's with supposed truck engines, only to replace them with something 1000lbs heavier and a car engine. Wouldnt it have just made sense to take the SUV's and put car engines with 6spd autos in them instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln