Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

We stumbled upon this last night accidentally. We've been looking to downsize for hubby from our Chrysler T&C Limited. That van has him spoiled so to keep him in something with all the toys he likes we knew we'd need to get an older vehicle.

So anyway, we saw this one. It has 70k miles, clean title, clean Carfax, local trade in, one owner. We live in a crazy small town - just a few thousand people. Everyone knows everyone type of thing. The guy that owned this bought it from the dealership. He's their mechanic / tow truck driver and has had all the service for it done at the dealership. He and his wife have a 5 year old and are expecting their next child, so they bought a 2004 Expedition with the entertainment center thing and used the Explorer as a trade in.

They have it listed for $4995. Like I said, it's an Eddie Bauer that has all the toys - leather, CD changer, sunroof - even a super old cell phone that's built into the console!! We drove it and it drives really nice and we were very surprised at the condition - that thing looks new inside and out. It was obvoiusly well cared for.

However, they also have a 1999 (I think they said a 99) Expedition that's also an Eddie Bauer edition that they're selling for $8500. It has just shy of 100k miles. It was previously owned by one of their salesman's parents, and they were the original owner and purchased it from that dealership too. Again, clean title, clean Carfax, etc. We didn't drive it because we happened upon the Explorer as they were closing. I have no clue how it drives or the options, though I'd assume they'd be pretty much the same as the Explorer, it would just have more room.

They're both V8s. Now, the idea is to downsize, and I'm not sure the Expedition is downsizing. However, with 3 teens still at home maybe the extra room wouldn't be so bad. The good thing about the Explorer is we won't have a car payment between cash and our trade in. I love that idea! We've been car payment free for almost 2 years and I don't want to go down that road again. But that Expedition looks nice......

So, does anyone have any opinions on Explorer vs Expedition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
With gas prices the way they are, get the Exploder er I mean Explorer.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 AM

134 posts, read 525,805 times
go for the Explorer

Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Most definately the Explorer.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Another Hurricane Katrina happens and your Expedition will cost $100 to fill up every time and it will take a miracle to gas back below $2.70 a gallon.

70k miles and no car payment? Explorer, please.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I'll bet there isn't much difference in the fuel economy between the two, despite the Explorer being smaller. The 97 Explorer should have the old 5.0 OHV, and the Expedition should have the 4.6 SOHC. I own a 2002 Explorer and was suprised to learn it only gets 1 mpg better then the Expedition.

I would still go with the Explorer though because of the lower mileage and lower price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln