Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 06:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

The Electric Viking reporting on For Mustang Mach-e sales - they're down 44% year over year in May, and that's despite the fact that Ford has cut prices, and increased production significantly.

The F-150 Lightning is selling well - and there they could use higher production, but the Mach-e is really not doing well at all - they've ramped up production significantly at the same time that demand has fallen significantly.

The Viking is not making this up, right over at the Ford Authority website, they report that Mustang Mach-e sales were down 20% in Q1 2023 versus Q1 2022, and, that sales are off 44% in May 2023 vs May 2022, and that production is up. Is it the Tesla price cuts? The Ford dealer markups? Customer disappointment with the product or charging network?

https://fordauthority.com/2023/04/fo...arter-2023-q1/

https://fordauthority.com/2023/06/fo...-may-2023-usa/

https://fordauthority.com/2023/05/20...rply-in-april/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwX-k_2TtNU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 04:24 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I've only noticed a few on the road. A local dealer has two that have been sitting there for quite some time. The lightning will sell even worse.

They're going after the wrong type of customers IMO. I think they'd have more success with something like an Escape EV. Stop worrying about 0-60 times and focus on range and efficiency.

Old 06-05-2023, 04:43 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
According to a you-tube video, there will be an oversupply of new vehicles and prices will drop $10,000 on a typical SUV, even used cars will drop in price.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:26 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,401,446 times
Maybe the thing will soon go away and become a forgotten blip in the Mustang history books, kind of like the Mustang2 from the late '70s has.

For those who don't know about the Mustang2, it was basically a Ford Pinto with different skin on it. People hated it because Pinto's were known as stupid little economy cars, and nobody wanted a Pinto with a Mustang badge slapped onto it. I think it only lasted about a year and 1/2 before they canned it and started over with the Fox-body versions that people liked better.

I really don't think anyone was asking for a SUV version of a Mustang. It's just weird and came out of nowhere and doesn't make any sense. It's kind of like if they were to make an electric car and call it the F-150 Lightning. People would be like "what the hell, F-150 is a car now?". It just doesn't make any sense.

With that being said, I'm sure Ford was looking at Porsche and Lamborghini and everyone else who's making high-powered SUVs that people are buying and thinking of as sports cars. I personally don't get it, but those vehicles are the most popular vehicles that those companies have ever been able to make.

To me, they're soccer-mom vehicles. Even if they pretend not to be. Even if they have the word Mustang slapped onto the back of their fancy powered lift-gates.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've only noticed a few on the road. A local dealer has two that have been sitting there for quite some time. The lightning will sell even worse.

They're going after the wrong type of customers IMO. I think they'd have more success with something like an Escape EV. Stop worrying about 0-60 times and focus on range and efficiency.
Certainly the volume sellers in the ICE world, besides pickup trucks, are compact SUVs like the Toyota RAV4 and the Honda CRV, and those aren't high performance models - they're cars that are reliable, that do what you really need them to and offer good value/utility for the money.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Certainly the volume sellers in the ICE world, besides pickup trucks, are compact SUVs like the Toyota RAV4 and the Honda CRV, and those aren't high performance models - they're cars that are reliable, that do what you really need them to and offer good value/utility for the money.
Yeah just look at the Bolt EUV, it actually sells pretty well I think, but its main drawback is slow charging speed. If Ford could make an Escape EV that's affordable, has a 250+ miles range, and a 200kw+ charging speed, I think it could sell very well.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah just look at the Bolt EUV, it actually sells pretty well I think, but its main drawback is slow charging speed. If Ford could make an Escape EV that's affordable, has a 250+ miles range, and a 200kw+ charging speed, I think it could sell very well.
I don't know what Ford's plans are, but those parameters sound roughly like Chevy's 2024 Equinox EV, due out this fall.
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...x-ev/2024.html

Old 06-05-2023, 01:49 PM

843 posts, read 563,205 times
Quote:
Quote:
If Ford could make an Escape EV that's affordable, has a 250+ miles range, and a 200kw+ charging speed, I think it could sell very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't know what Ford's plans are, but those parameters sound roughly like Chevy's 2024 Equinox EV, due out this fall.
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...x-ev/2024.html
During the development of the Mach-E, there were proposed concepts which were much more boring than the Mach-E became. Jim Farley was quoted that it was too conservative, looked like a Prius, probably was cheaper and lower performing, and said it was a joke. He delayed the program and sent the team back to make it look more exciting and perform better, which is why they branded it a Mustang (which many people could never get over, even though it's just a name & marketing ploy, and the ICE Mustang never went away, it was never meant to replace it, just to have a slight resemblance)

https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...-farley-2022-6

We'll see. Ford may have made the wrong call here. But they made a bold decision, got the car out there relatively early, and they've been generally praised for it. They've stated that they don't want to make commodity vehicles. They want to make exciting ones. Now the Doubting Thomas's are becoming armchair Ford CEO's and speculating what might have been in hindsight, but there are no guarantees in the car business, even less with BEVs. Ford has long been criticized for being unexciting and that approach hasn't really been very successful for them lately. It's tough enough to make a profit on a high performing vehicle, let alone a less exciting one that you cannot sell at a high price.

For every person who wants a more practical, more boring looking "Escape-like" BEV, there is another person who would not buy it because it's not cool looking enough. I believe the early sales success was due to the good looks. I don't think the sales would be better if it was more boring. Let's not over react. I think the reason is increased competition. More BEVs are coming out every day.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 06-05-2023 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-05-2023, 02:27 PM

843 posts, read 563,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I really don't think anyone was asking for a SUV version of a Mustang. It's just weird and came out of nowhere and doesn't make any sense. It's kind of like if they were to make an electric car and call it the F-150 Lightning. People would be like "what the hell, F-150 is a car now?". It just doesn't make any sense.

To me, they're soccer-mom vehicles. Even if they pretend not to be. Even if they have the word Mustang slapped onto the back of their fancy powered lift-gates.
So you're saying they would sell better if they were more sporty looking? Less comfortable? Less soccer mom-ish? Lower range? Not long ago they were praised going for aggressive when they designed it, less sedan-like, looking more sporty just with a rear seat. What would have made more sense? Something that looked even less like an SUV, more sporty?

Your comparison to the Mustang II/Pinto is off base. The Mach-E is not like another car with a different badge on it. If it had been a true sportscar, would the sales be better for a more niche customer? Are Teslas exciting looking? I thought most agreed that the Mach-E looks sportier than a Tesla?

Some here are proposing a more practical Escape-like model that is slower, cheaper, and gets longer range would sell better. Why because that's less 'confusing'? That's the opposite of what you are saying. This just proves my point I made earlier that the car business is hard and you can't please everyone.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 06-05-2023 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-05-2023, 02:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I understand that the price reductions of the Model Y, a similarly sized electric crossover, probably affects the sales of the Mach E a lot, but isn't this an incomplete picture? Since it's talking about North American sales and production, but since Mach E production for other markets is also based in North America, then any exports out to Europe for instance would be counted in NA production, but not be part of NA sales?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln