Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I was quoting sticker prices, but nobody pays those for most GMs and Fords anyways. No car is worth $35K to me, not until I win the lottery.
Which car in mid thirties looks great and performs better than that Buick and you will purchase after your lottery win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Which car in mid thirties looks great and performs better than that Buick and you will purchase after your lottery win?
I really don't care about performance. As long as it's at least as fast as the 105 hp Prizm I had in college, I don't care.
I actually kinda like the Buick and agree it's good, it's just that the new cars don't agree with me, stylewise. Only domestic sedan I'd consider over $20K is a Grand Marquis (unless I could get my hands on an '11 Caprice PPV), because I'm sick of GM rattletraps (buyer's remorse over my Aura almost from day one), the 300 and Charger, however much I really like them, have durability issues, and I'm not paying $35K for a Ford Division passenger car however nice it is.
Back to the $35K question: Could I get a Lexus ES for $35K? How about a $15K Versa and $20K in krugerrands?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
I'm not paying $35K for a Ford Division passenger car however nice it is.
I actually think my wife's MKS was a great value for the money. It has the interior of a much more expensive vehicle.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Back to the $35K question: Could I get a Lexus ES for $35K? How about a $15K Versa and $20K in krugerrands?
Lexus ES is based on the Camry. More luxurious, but essentially a full loaded 6 cyl Camry which you can have for less. And some folks on the forum seem not to like Toyotas anymore..

Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I actually think my wife's MKS was a great value for the money. It has the interior of a much more expensive vehicle.
I wasn't making fun of a $40K Lincoln, just a $35K Ford. In my mind Ford Division competes with Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia, Dodge, et al, not Buick. That's what Mercury was for. (RIP) For that $35K I want prestige that a blue oval on the grille (and a big bling-blingy one on the back) doesn't offer that Lexus and others do.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Lexus ES is based on the Camry. More luxurious, but essentially a full loaded 6 cyl Camry which you can have for less. And some folks on the forum seem not to like Toyotas anymore..
A four cylinder Camry fleet special for just over $20K is more than enough for me. I was just trying to spend the entire $35K. The ES is a much prettier car, with some lovely color choices. As for Toyotas not being popular anymore on here, take a Camry and a Malibu, put 100K on each, and see which one is the rattletrap. See which one still has resale value after that kind of mileage.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:41 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
See which one still has resale value after that kind of mileage.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but do want to point out that resale value is not necessarily a reflection of which car is better than another. Resale value is also determined by something that is not always an accurate reflection of performance, reliability or efficiency--buyer perception.

For instance, it is perceived in this country that in general, a Cadillac is more desirable than a Buick and therefore frequently has better resale value.
However, in China, the Buick is far more preferred over a Cadillac.

Buyer perception, accurate or not, is a big factor in resale value.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Quote:
A four cylinder Camry fleet special for just over $20K is more than enough for me. I was just trying to spend the entire $35K. The ES is a much prettier car, with some lovely color choices. As for Toyotas not being popular anymore on here, take a Camry and a Malibu, put 100K on each, and see which one is the rattletrap. See which one still has resale value after that kind of mileage.
As far as Toyota not being polular any more for july the car sales go
1. Camry
2. Corrolla
3. Accord
4. Civic
There are haters on any car forum, just some are much louder than others

Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im sorry you have no taste buds and/or have lost eyesight over the years. Im sure a simple surgical procedure could help you fix those.

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/20...CrosseCXS2.jpg

I dont like the General, but the new Lacrosse is a very nice, flowing, classy design.
Then I suggest that you get that operation since you are the only one drooling over that hideous looking vehicle.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, but do want to point out that resale value is not necessarily a reflection of which car is better than another. Resale value is also determined by something that is not always an accurate reflection of performance, reliability or efficiency--buyer perception.

For instance, it is perceived in this country that in general, a Cadillac is more desirable than a Buick and therefore frequently has better resale value.
However, in China, the Buick is far more preferred over a Cadillac.

Buyer perception, accurate or not, is a big factor in resale value.
I understand, all I meant was that my '07 Aura (currently with 105K) is probably nearly worthless compared to a Camry with similar mileage and condition in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln