Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times

Advertisements

For those of you that don't think Ford has improved in quality vs. the Japanese, go to MSN or Yahoo autos and read the user reviews of the 2006-present Camry & Accord vs. the 2006-present Ford Fusion.

MSN Autos average user rating
2010 Ford Fusion: 9.9/10
2009 Honda Accord: 8.3/10 (there was no 2010 page yet)
2010 Toyota Camry: 7.3/10

2010 Ford Fusion Detailed Pricing and Specifications - MSN Autos
2009 Honda Accord Reviews - MSN Autos
2010 Toyota Camry Detailed Pricing and Specifications - MSN Autos

Yahoo autos average user rating
2009 Ford Fusion: 4.5 stars/5
2009 Honda Accord: 3.5 stars/5
2009 Toyota Camry: 3 stars/5

2009 Ford Fusion Reviews & ratings - Yahoo! Autos
2009 Toyota Camry Reviews & ratings - Yahoo! Autos
User Reviews - 2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 5-Spd AT - Yahoo! Autos (http://autos.yahoo.com/honda_accord_sedan_ex_v_6_5_spd_at-reviews_user/ - broken link)

And for those wondering about where the 2010 Taurus is manufactured (along with the previous Taurus/500/Montego/Sable), they are built at Ford's Chicago Assembly. The Lincoln MKS is also built in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Looooog ago I bought one of the first Taurus to come off the assmebly line. Ordered it months in advance after seeing pictures of it in a car magazine. I loved that car and didn't have any issues like many first year buyers had. At year 7 it began having a problem with the radiator and other misc. things, and got very expensive. By year 10 I was praying it would make it to the dealers lot so I could trade it in on yet ANOTHER Taurus (used). That one lasted 7 years before everything on the inside started falling off/apart. Never could figure that out. I disliked the old "new" Taurus body style and the local Ford Dealer service department was TERRIBLE, so I traded that one in for a Honda Civic and never looked back.

I'm glad Taurus is back! But I won't get one. I know it's mostly a mental thing but I would have a hard time choosing a Ford over a Honda anymore.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
With all of the transmission trouble ford has had with differant models my question is DO THEY waranty THE TRANNY FOR AT LEAST 100K.?. If not you better think twice and do some research before you buy one......Oh yea even the KIA will back its tranny for 100k. Could someone explain how long ford will back its tranny,,,,,,Dont reply with any "added protection package" that cost extra........most of those dont pay up when your car breaks.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I think the car looks nice but Ford should just name it something different. The Taurus holds such a bad reputation from the horrible cars they were in the nineties that I am sure some past owners would just cringe hearing the name again.
Funny you mention that...Fusion and 500 sales tanked once the Taurus name went away. Enough that Ford brought the Taurus/Sable names back.

Probably what happen with Pontiac once Grand Am and Grand Prix went away in favor of alphabet soup. G6, G5, G3 (Super...an Aveo clone in the "Driving Excitement" division!) to kill the fun.

Don't ask me...

Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
For those of you that don't think Ford has improved in quality vs. the Japanese, go to MSN or Yahoo autos and read the user reviews of the 2006-present Camry & Accord vs. the 2006-present Ford Fusion.
Yes, I have owned alot of 80s-90s Hondas and Toyotas and have recently rented 2007-09 models (Camrys, Avalons and CRVs) and am displeased with the build quality and materials compared to the previous years, which were top notch in the 80s-90s.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yes, I have owned alot of 80s-90s Hondas and Toyotas and have recently rented 2007-09 models (Camrys, Avalons and CRVs) and am displeased with the build quality and materials compared to the previous years, which were top notch in the 80s-90s.
I had a '95 Celica which just oozed quality inside, even though it was a base model. It stickered at 20 large, but it felt like it did! Now they're as bad as the Big Three.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael93 View Post
If people want a RWD taurus, why cant they base the next one on the Australian RWD Falcon. The FPV F6 version has a 4.0l turbo inline 6 with 416Hp. The 2013 Ford Falcon will most likely be based on the Taurus, and FWD large cars just dont sell well in Australia. Full stop. And with Ford wanting to reduce the number of platorms they use, the Mustang will go front-drive or become a lot more expensive. Ford needs to reposition its large sedans as sports cars. The Mondeo is FWD already, they need to make the Taurus a different type of car and base it on the Falcon. If they do, it might be sold in Europe. Go to MotorsportBlog for more reasons why it should be RWD and tell me more reasons why im right. Or if you have a real reason why not
I agree that Ford should offer a real RWD sedan. So should Honda. Every world class car is either RWD or AWD. It doesn't matter to me where it comes from. But it should have independent suspension all around (unlike the Mustang). I think the future of mid-size and full-size cars lies in 6 cylinder engines of various configurations rather than V8s.

I disagree that Americans prefer AWD over FWD or RWD. There is little evidence for that with mainstream vehicles. Subaru does very well but all things considered they are still not a mainstream vehicle. In most SUV models 2WD far outsells 4WD or AWD versions because of cost.

I do not believe the Mustang will ever be a FWD car. Ford has made many mistakes over their history but they know that the heart of the Mustang is a simple RWD chassis with a sporty body. The V6 models sell to people who don't care where the wheels get their power - but the image of the Mustang is driven by male who buy the GT versions. If Ford went FWD with the Mustang the image (and sales) would be lost quickly as the real Mustang fans abandon it.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I had a '95 Celica which just oozed quality inside, even though it was a base model. It stickered at 20 large, but it felt like it did! Now they're as bad as the Big Three.
Thats right, I agree. Those older Celicas had a very high quality interior, with high quality and padded materials. The Celica that followed that one (the 2000) had alot of hard interior plastic.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Didn't think it was that attractive. I didn't think it was ugly, but I didn't see it as being prettier than the Camry.

Look wasn't the Taurus' problem, however. Until an American car can prove either its head gasket and transmissions won't cost its owner a fortune between 70-110k miles, I'm not at all interested.

Camry may be boring, but it's reliable and if I spend 20k on a car, I want reliability.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yes, older Toyotas and Hondas had quality stuff, new ones dont. Seriously, Japanese interiors have gone waaaaaaaaaaaaay south in quality over the last 5 years, especially Toyota. In the meantime I sit in American cars and am seriously impressed with what Ive seen lately. Funny, 10 years ago I would never have seen this coming, as all I owned were Japanese cars. But, truth be told, Im far, far, far more impressed with recent American offerings versus the crap that Japan has been puking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln