Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times

Advertisements

AGAIN!!! I have a 1994 Crown vic LX with 4.6 motor. Overall pretty fair car.

Now off and on for last 3 months sometimes it won't start. In the morning after siting all night, in warm temps after sitting for a couple hours or in hot tempts sitting for 10 minutes.

It cranks for 10 seconds then you stop for 1 sec. then again fr 5 to 10 sec. then off then it starts right up. The you can go for days or weeks and nothing happens. I put gas treatmnt in and new fuel filter and keep tank full with no less thn 1/4 tank ten fill full asap.
Was told if fuel pump it would not quit and then work awhile. Said it would stop period.

What is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
the problem is- it's a Ford

Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
lol.. never heard that one before. I have owned just about every kind of American pieces of CRAP out there so my Ford is the same as Chevy, Dodge, etc..

I just want to keep it running for 1 more year so I can buy a couple yr old Tahoe or similar.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
I own a Ford product... a '95 Lincoln Town Car. It's been very reliable.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I think you should be looking at the fuel pump or the valve that keeps the pressure in the fuel line. I have seen issues like this before and it was the valve. OR the pump itself. If you run the fuel to low in the tank too often you prematurely shorten the life of the fuel pump due to the fact that the fuel itself IS the pump lubrication

Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
yeah, 'cause we all know how unreliable those 4.6L Crown Vics are. Hence the reason they're used for fleet vehicles for drivers who have no respect for a vehicle (cops, taxi drivers, etc).

to the OP, do you always hear the pump prime when you turn the key?

Mike

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times
I had that exact same problem with an early 90's Ford Tempo years ago. Sometimes it would not start after sitting in the hot sun for a while. If I turned the key just enough to engage the electronics, I could hear the fuel pump pressurize the fuel line, kind of a whining sound. I had to do that several times before attempting to turn it over. That was a very frustrating workaround because the fuel pump would not engage every time.

Alas, I never figured out what the problem was. It definitely had something to do with the heat. Perhaps gasoline vapors are building up somewhere and interfering with the flow of the fuel?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
AGAIN!!! I have a 1994 Crown vic LX with 4.6 motor. Overall pretty fair car.

Now off and on for last 3 months sometimes it won't start. In the morning after siting all night, in warm temps after sitting for a couple hours or in hot tempts sitting for 10 minutes.

It cranks for 10 seconds then you stop for 1 sec. then again fr 5 to 10 sec. then off then it starts right up. The you can go for days or weeks and nothing happens. I put gas treatmnt in and new fuel filter and keep tank full with no less thn 1/4 tank ten fill full asap.
Was told if fuel pump it would not quit and then work awhile. Said it would stop period.
That is wrong. In some cases when a fuel pump is not working, you can hit the bottom of the fuel tank and make the pump operate. Use a rubber hammer or a piece of wood. Not a scientific test, but works just the same.

In your case I think a good fuel pressure gauge would be a wise investment. Takes all the guesswork out.

Keep in mind that it may not be a fuel pressure problem. There are lots of other things that can cause a no start.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
yeah, 'cause we all know how unreliable those 4.6L Crown Vics are. Hence the reason they're used for fleet vehicles for drivers who have no respect for a vehicle (cops, taxi drivers, etc).
Mike
Be cool, nothing to get offended by- I like Crown Vics....grow a little so my bad jokes won't go over your head

Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I would look at the fuel pump relay first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln