Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

I noticed a while back the driver's window on hubby's Explorer was moving slow. I got in it a month or so ago and rolled it down and it wouldn't go back up. Fiddled with it a bit and finally got it back up and told hubby.

We've goofed a few times since and forgot and rolled it down. Amazing how you get so used to something that you don't even think of it.

It got rolled down again tonight and this time I can't get it back up. I've just spent half an hour out there and no luck.

We took it to the mechanic a couple weeks ago when hubby couldn't get it closed. While he was talking to him I managed to beat on the side a bit and wiggled the button while rocking it back and forth (up / down) and it rolled up. Almost like it hadn't been making contact or something.

Mechanic said it needs to have a part in it replaced and that his 96 or something had the same problem. After replacing whatever this part is, the keyless entry needs to be reprogrammed.

Does this sound right to everyone? He's telling us the part alone - no labor no reprogramming - is like $389.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
He is ripping you off. I do not know where you live, but Checker auto parts and Autozone both have the whole assembly (regulator AND motor) for approximately $150.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Until somebody takes the door panel off on the inside and looks, you don't know what's broke.

As Nativechief has sagely noted on a different thread, you want to disconnect the battery before working on a power window mechanism, assuming you want to finish the job with all 10 fingers intact.

I would wonder about the Checker/Autozone parts, are they as good as OEM. I don't know that they are not, but I don't know that they are either.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Huh!!! A bit cheaper than the $500 starting price it was going to be with labor and re-programming!!! It was a mechanic that just started working for the guy. We've been using the guy for a few years and like him a lot. Our work has always been very cheap and this is the first time it's been this expensive. I'll have to give him a call and let him know what his employee quoted us......

Thank you. You probably just saved us a few hundred bucks! Reps are definitely deserved for that!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
GTOlover, your friend missed a chance to carry on a long tradition of keeping alive the original SUV, an International Harvester Scout!

He could have joined the ranks of us battling rust and byzantine parts searches to be the proud owner of the best, if sometimes frustrating, 4x4s.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I have a 02 explorer as well. What a piece of crap. Our backseat door window did the same thing. In fact, we have had all sorts of electrical issues with this truck. Anyway, hubby took the door panel off and something was off kilter. He fixed it and now it works. But interestingly the child proof lock mechanism now is stuck so pretty much anyone that sits in the back seat is our hostage till we let them out.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It is likely the motor as this is a very common thing on ford traucks and SUv's . I repalced both motors on my last truck and know friends who all have replaced at least one.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM

This is the first problem we've had with it. We've been really happy and hubby decided he wants another when he kills off this one.

FW - I'm hoping that's all this is, but since it had started acting up a while back, rolling down really slowly - I'm sure something in there is dead and will need to be replaced. Would be thrilled to find it's the problem you had though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln