Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Speculation on my part that it's a rental and the owners are pocketing the income and not paying their mortgage or property taxes. Regardless, the owners are not motivated to sell.

It could be years before it's foreclosed.
Agreed. Short sell finally closed down the street from me. Homeowners did some cash our refinance in 2005 so owed like 1 million on a property they originally purchased for $700 back in 2002. .

In reality the home is still worth $700-750k in 2012 prices.

But homeowners were not motivated. They took their time for showings. Never left for showings and were even telling perspective buyers during showing that there were "foundation problems" with the home to scare them aware. They put clothes inside the guest showers. They were doing everything to make the home as unattractive as possible.

Funny that they both drove late model luxury cars and wife had $20k worth of luxury designer handbags in her closet.

So short sellers do know how to game the system and drag out the process. Home finally closed 3 years after being listed for a steal at $625k.

So look up the home in the court system. If its only in year 1-2 of the process than move on. But if it's year 3-4 of the system than you may have a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
There are a ton of houses on the market that are not short sales. You say that you like this one and are willing to wait; the owner does not seem particularly motivated; your realtor believes the bank will stretch-out the closing process and then reject the 'slightly below market price.'

I guess the question is, are you really serious about buying this or any house ... or are you just 'kicking tires?' I had a short-sale a while back that the bank was ready to close on within two weeks! -- Are you ready to buy if something like that happened with this house?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
When I have a client who wants to see a SS I attempt to find out from the listing agent where the seller is with the lender in the process. If they've not even started discussion with the bank about getting the SS Approved, it is almost impossible to do much with the home.

As a listing agent I doubt I'd list the home where the Homeowner is not actively working with the bank to SS the house. It's a waste of everyones time.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Just an update for you all. My agent got back after I said I don't mind waiting. He told me the house is now pending with 9 backup offers. My search continues.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM

62 posts, read 180,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just an update for you all. My agent got back after I said I don't mind waiting. He told me the house is now pending with 9 backup offers. My search continues.
Hopefully it didn't change to pending while he/she was stalling you. Anyways, good luck!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
Next time make the offer blind. Or at least that is the thing to do in markets like Las Vegas. Write the contract with a short sale addendum that requires your approval of the bank approval letter and a viewing. Than wait.

Agents have a bias against offers without viewing that I no longer share at least not on shorts. Bid three or four good prospects quickly and get serious when they get bank approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs