Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Short sale means that the seller is trying to convince the bank to take less than what they owe on the mortgage. Often times a short sale can not be considered or a price determined until a contract is actually presented to the bank. The property you are talking about may be a short sale (which can also be called a pre-foreclosure) and they keep reducing the price in order to temp someone to make an offer so they can find out what the bank will actually take as a short sale.
These days banks are offering short sales to owners past due....so a buyer should do their homework...realtors dont have control over short sales, the bank/negotiator and former homeowner does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM

82 posts, read 413,299 times
This post has been extremely helpful for me since I'm in the market to buy a home within the year.

I do have a question, I am hoping someone can answer. I have noticed over the last several weeks in my area there are a number of pre-forclosures being listed from such sites as realty-trac. If a home is listed as pre-forclosure how long is the standard wait until the home is forclosed? (If the owner remains behind on their payments)

Also it appears that there seems to be more pre-forclosures and forclosures on the market in my area as of late than at any time following the bubble burst. Can we expect this to continue for the remainder of the year? There are more default properties than regular sales for some reason and it seems to be getting worse.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 PM

43,270 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightyellowhaha View Post
This post has been extremely helpful for me since I'm in the market to buy a home within the year.

I do have a question, I am hoping someone can answer. I have noticed over the last several weeks in my area there are a number of pre-forclosures being listed from such sites as realty-trac. If a home is listed as pre-forclosure how long is the standard wait until the home is forclosed? (If the owner remains behind on their payments)

Also it appears that there seems to be more pre-forclosures and forclosures on the market in my area as of late than at any time following the bubble burst. Can we expect this to continue for the remainder of the year? There are more default properties than regular sales for some reason and it seems to be getting worse.
There is no "standard wait until a home is forclosed."
It varies by case and location. In some states, the time period is much longer than in others.

"Preforeclosure" has little functional meaning.

"Realty-Trac?" I suggest you connect with an actual real estate web site.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
From 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM -- I had to comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
... the owner has not made their required mortgage payment,...
The owner (seller) still owns it up until the sheriff sale...
I'd like to point out that the mortgagor ( person who borrows money ) is different from the owner.

The owner has the title to the property.
The owner is either the mortgagee ( entity who lends money )
or the entity who bought the mortgage - ie. Freddie.

I live in a house that I make mortgage payments on. It's common to refer to
people like me as the homeowner, but really, I'm not the owner. I just live there.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
From 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM -- I had to comment.
I'd like to point out that the mortgagor ( person who borrows money ) is different from the owner.

The owner has the title to the property.
The owner is either the mortgagee ( entity who lends money )
or the entity who bought the mortgage - ie. Freddie.

I live in a house that I make mortgage payments on. It's common to refer to
people like me as the homeowner, but really, I'm not the owner. I just live there.
Actually.....

The mortgagor (the person borrowing the money) is usually also the homeowner.
Read the mortgage documents carefully. You will see that you own the property. You bought it with money you borrowed from the lender. You secured that loan with the property you own, agreeing that the mortgagee has the right to take ownership if you fail to repay it according to the terms of the mortgage agreement. It's common to call the mortgagor the homeowner because the mortgagor usually IS the homeowner.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Read the mortgage documents carefully. You will see that you own the property.
I guess that I don't consider the "owner" the "owner" unless they have free and clear right to sell the property.

Remember that song Little Deuce Coupe by The Beach Boys?
"There's one more thing, I got the pink slip daddy,"

I don't got the pink slip ( but I always do with my automobile ).

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
I guess that I don't consider the "owner" the "owner" unless they have free and clear right to sell the property.

Remember that song Little Deuce Coupe by The Beach Boys?
"There's one more thing, I got the pink slip daddy,"

I don't got the pink slip ( but I always do with my automobile ).
You have free & clear right to sell the property. And you have an obligation to pay the lender what you owe them. One does not negate the other.

Great song, by the way.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 04-18-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 AM

18 posts, read 131,125 times
[SIZE=2]Pre-foreclosure means you have not met your payment obligations to a lender and either they are or soon will be initiating steps to either get their money or get you out of "their" house[/SIZE]

Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Great song, by the way.
After I wrote that, I got another Beach Boys song stuck in my head all day long:

" ... Cause It Wouldn't Be Right To Leave the Best Girls Home
on a Saturday Night .... Round round get around I get around ... "

If you read it, it's too late, now it's in your head.

Haw!
...... Haw!
............. Haw!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
After I wrote that, I got another Beach Boys song stuck in my head all day long:

" ... Cause It Wouldn't Be Right To Leave the Best Girls Home
on a Saturday Night .... Round round get around I get around ... "

If you read it, it's too late, now it's in your head.

Haw!
...... Haw!
............. Haw!
You are not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs