Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, banks are not prepared to deal with the often whacked out, general public, as is relates to REO property. Most banks hire an asset manager. Most asset managers are also not prepared to deal with the often whacked out, general public.

The former owners often have to be paid to vacate the property and leave it in decent condition. The title may be dirty and needs to be cleansed to sell. At this time of year, properties often need to be winterized.

Generally speaking the best way to sell a property for as much as the market will bear, is exposing it to the widest audiance possible, the MLS. It is in the seller's best interest to have buyers compete for the property.

The asset manager will assign the property to a broker who will assign it to an agent who will pay their broker and the asset manager a referral fee.

Sometimes the marketing strategy is to position the property well beneath market value to create excitement and multiple bidding. Other times, you can set your watch to the periodic reductions that will occur.

Some agents who list REO properties will deal with the general public. Others will not and expect you to have your own agent. Increasingly, REO listing agents will not respond to phone calls from anyone and rely on email for all communication.

I know an agent who deals exclusively with REO listings. All of her listings sell under multiple bid scenarios and for more than the asking price. She averages a net of about $700 per sale. Some sales net as little as $150. She will not talk to anyone and acknowledges, by email, offers presented by a buyer's agent. At any point in time, she has about $17,000 in outstanding bills pending with multiple asset managers who charge her a % fee to process reimbursement of her out of pocket expenses. It's a tough business and there is not enough money in it to make nice with the general public.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-16-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM

228 posts, read 818,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Generally speaking, banks are not prepared to deal with the often whacked out, general public, as is relates to REO property. Most banks hire an asset manager. Most asset managers are also not prepared to deal with the often whacked out, general public.

The former owners often have to be paid to vacate the property and leave it in decent condition. The title may be dirty and needs to be cleansed to sell. At this time of year, properties often need to be winterized.

Generally speaking the best way to sell a property for as much as the market will bear, is exposing it to the widest audiance possible, the MLS. It is in the seller's best interest to have buyers compete for the property.

The asset manager will assign the property to a broker who will assign it to an agent who will pay their broker and the asset manager a referral fee.

Sometimes the marketing strategy is to position the property well beneath market value to create excitement and multiple bidding. Other times, you can set your watch to the periodic reductions that will occur.

Some agents who list REO properties will deal with the general public. Others will not and expect you to have your own agent. Increasingly, REO listing agents will not respond to phone calls from anyone and rely on email for all communication.

I know an agent who deals exclusively with REO listings. All of her listings sell under multiple bid scenarios and for more than the asking price. She averages a net of about $700 per sale. Some sales net as little as $150. She will not talk to anyone and acknowledges, by email, offers presented by a buyer's agent. At any point in time, she has about $17,000 in outstanding bills pending with multiple asset managers who charge her a % fee to process reimbursement of her out of pocket expenses. It's a tough business and there is not enough money in it to make nice with the general public.
Well put and precisely what I have found as a frustrated prospective buyer.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
Banks are not individuals, they're businesses with processes that have to be followed. Their processes don't always allow for flexibility that individuals expect. You can rush through and buy a house that's encumbered with liens or improperly seized and not legally owned by the bank. OR you can let them do their jobs and buy a house that they actually own and has an equitable title. Take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyl1979 View Post
Good Luck with the Bank of New York! I know that they use SPservicing Select for their foreclosures. I had a home listed, it went into foreclosure....it took 6 months before they put it on the market. I called two weeks after they bought it and they already had a realtor assigned to it....mind you I called and tried to put an offer in on it...I would have included the listing Realtor and all....but it took six months to get it on the market....and they told me it has been assigned and I would just need to wait until it was on the market...

I'm sorry...did you just tell me that you don't want my acceptable offer? YEP! That's what they told me. I tracked down the REO Realtor and he told me that he didn't know when it would be for sale. I told him that we could get this done now, or he could call me and let me know asap when he put it on the MLS. He told me that he didn't have time to do call backs and that I just needed to watch the MLS. How crazy...it was 5 1/2 months later that he put it on the market. The buyers bought a house at auction 4 months before.

They are just plain ignorant when it comes to getting houses off their books! I don't know if it was the REO Realtor b/c he always has like 50 listings or the Bank of New York with horrible paperwork.

Here is the site I used https://www.spservicing.com Good Luck! I'd love to hear if you get it solved.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,393 times
this is exactly what is going on in America... all over, realtors who handle repos are teaming up with investors, they don't put in offers, they don't even show it, they wait months and months then they buy it with their partners after the price is rock bottom... they hold onto it...after the amt of time goes by, they sell it for a big profit...all along, no one else gets to see it while the bank owns it, if they do...they won't get the property...most likely, if you get that far, your offer won't even be turned in to the bank... they don't even care, the banks are so swamped with repos, they make their money regardless of what it sells for because they are insured and they don't lose money. the realtors and their partners are underhandedly making it hand over fist, and one day, not in this life, they will answer for it. Now, I am not saying all realtors are doing this....no I know that... it is widely done by realtors who handle repo properties...that banks have to know it, but they don't care.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd000 View Post
this is exactly what is going on in America... all over, realtors who handle repos are teaming up with investors, they don't put in offers, they don't even show it, they wait months and months then they buy it with their partners after the price is rock bottom... they hold onto it...after the amt of time goes by, they sell it for a big profit...all along, no one else gets to see it while the bank owns it, if they do...they won't get the property...most likely, if you get that far, your offer won't even be turned in to the bank... they don't even care, the banks are so swamped with repos, they make their money regardless of what it sells for because they are insured and they don't lose money. the realtors and their partners are underhandedly making it hand over fist, and one day, not in this life, they will answer for it. Now, I am not saying all realtors are doing this....no I know that... it is widely done by realtors who handle repo properties...that banks have to know it, but they don't care.

this is depressing to read....

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd000 View Post
all over, realtors who handle repos are teaming up with investors, they don't put in offers, they don't even show it, they wait months and months then they buy it with their partners after the price is rock bottom...... it is widely done by realtors who handle repo properties...that banks have to know it, but they don't care.
You actually believe any of that crap that you just wrote? I'll have some of what you're drinking please.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You actually believe any of that crap that you just wrote? I'll have some of what you're drinking please.

my agent told me the same thing. He said investors actually come to him and tell him to make sure they have first dibs on cheap/reo properties.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
my agent told me the same thing. He said investors actually come to him and tell him to make sure they have first dibs on cheap/reo properties.
Of course.
Agents are approached all the time by people requesting them to do unethical, stupid, illegal, or all of the above. It goes with the territory.
It is up to the agent to set the standard.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
Sure, I've been told that also. It doesn't mean that it happens much. I'd rather put it up for sale and they get the same crack as everyone else.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,243 times
I have placed an offer for cash buy at listing price of 260k for 9001 Kara Circle in Riverside August 24. Somehow it was rejected. But the listing agent still advertise the house for sales. Can anyone advice me what is going on? MLS # K11084956. dennisoon@yahoo.com. Please advice. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs