Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 PM

414 posts, read 911,606 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses on-line I came across one that seems to be at a "decent" price but has this in the last line of description:
This property is a bank owned foreclosure, sold as-is, and the buyer is responsible for the CCO and smoke cert.
Does this indicate there was a fire in the home at one time? If not, what exactly is "smoke cert"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
I think it could depend on where this house is located. If you don't have a Realtor working for you - hire one and find out.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:30 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
A smoke certificate is issued by the local fire department after they inspect the home's smoke detectors and determine that they are in good working order.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Looking at houses on-line I came across one that seems to be at a "decent" price but has this in the last line of description:
This property is a bank owned foreclosure, sold as-is, and the buyer is responsible for the CCO and smoke cert.
Does this indicate there was a fire in the home at one time? If not, what exactly is "smoke cert"?
If there was fire damage, your inspection will show this. You don't need to hire a realtor for that. They can't tell you that information.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
If there was fire damage, your inspection will show this. You don't need to hire a realtor for that. They can't tell you that information.
Not if it was repaired but you are right, the Realtor won't be able to tell you but they could clue you in to what's the norm in your area for that question. And since it's a foreclosure there is no disclosure.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
That's why I said that the realtor can't tell you that, b/c there is no disclosure to them. But even an as-is sale in a foreclosure, you can hire an inspector (and in this case I would DEFINITELY spend that $300 for that), and they can sometimes still tell you that even if it was repaired. It actually happened to a friend mine who had their house for sale. The inspection turned up that there was a fire in the past. It must have happened prior to their buying it b/c they never had a fire. But once that inspection found it, they had to disclose it. Sucked, but that's the law. In this case, if what Racelady says is true (and I honestly don't know what that means), it's a moot point b/c it doesn't have anything to do with fire or smoke damage, but only smoke detectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs