Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 46,479 times

Advertisements

Hi Their

My husband has been interviewing and we found out he is getting a job in Loveland Colorado. At first I was nervous but then I started hearing people talk about how nice Colorado is beautiful, slower pace, quality family life. You see I have lived in the same smaller town in California for 34 years (Im 39). A lot of friends all the comforts of home. I'm in the Inland Empire, not beaches, not LA Im pretty simple. I have a small family an 8 yr old and 2 year old. THEN I started researching for rental homes, and inquiring about the area. I stumbled upon a forum in Trip advisor where there was 3 pages of conversation talking about how Colorado people cant stand California people and how they have gotten their cars keyed. How when people find out their from California they shun them, wont shake their hands. They suggest getting new plates right away and lying and telling people your from somewhere else. Im scared now!!! I couldn't believe what I was reading. Im from California yes, but Im also a good person volunteer with tons of charities bring food to shelters, always trying to put a smile on peoples faces. To find out that my car will get keyed because I have the word California on it makes me so nervous to move. The forum was Ft Colins but isn't Loveland only 10 minutes from there? Im worried people will judge me before they even know me and I wont be able to make friends because I wont know a soul. Is it really that bad there? We are looking in the Loveland area to live? Any advice please? Is Loveland the best choice if my husband is getting a job in Loveland? The thought of moving is scary enough without the worries about being not liked because of where I came from Thank you for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM

232 posts, read 805,027 times
don't believe the hype. as long as you don't act obnoxious (which it doesn't sound like you will), then you'll be fine. if it makes you feel better, change your plates as soon as you get there.... you'll have to eventually anyways.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM

256 posts, read 616,973 times
Don't believe the hype. i visit Colorado all the time with my California plates, no one has ever made a comment or the fact that I have a California driver's license as my id. I have family that live in Fort Collins. There is also a lot of students in Fort Collins so you see plates from all over. I believe most people judge you by your personality not by where you are from. People change jobs and move all the time.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM

166 posts, read 432,752 times
Most people I have met since moving to Fort Collins are from some other state originally. Alot seem to be students who came here for college and didnt want to leave. Cant blame them We have had not problems at all with locals making us feel unwelcome.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 46,479 times
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I understand what your saying about hype. I just got freaked because it was a bunch of people talking about their experiences and that stuff actually happening to him. I know its probably not the norm. Its just so un-nerving moving to a whole new place and I just wanted to get your take on it. Thank you

Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM

192 posts, read 470,867 times
As the other posters have said, don't worry at all. Colorado attracts a lot of visitors and new residents. Out of state plates are a common site. I kept my plates for two years before changing and rarely had anyone even notice.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM

28 posts, read 79,407 times
Default don't worry.

I'm from South Dakota which very few people come from. When I travel with South Dakota plates, the only people who notices me are from SD as well, and it's usually, So where are you from in SD?

I would imagine Loveland and Ft. Collins are very urban areas and there are a lot of people from everywhere.

I might worry more in the mountains of rural Kentucky or W. Virginia, but even there, people will just look and turn away.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
The anti-California sentiment comes and goes. It doesn't seem real bad right now.

People tend to be very nice one on one. You might be told, "You're OK, for a Californian". Chalk it up to ignorance and move on. Mind you, my experience is Denver metro area, not Loveland, but I think it's about the same.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
OP: You're gonna LOVE living in Colorado and you won't have any problems. It sounds like some of the morons I banned from this site went to trip advisor to spread their lies.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
I looked at that discussion thread you mentioned over at Trip Advisor (I assume I linked the correct one) and noticed a couple of things:

1. Most of the discussion took place 5 years ago. This may not be relevant except for the fact that the real estate market was different 5 years ago and there were quite a few people coming from out of state with significant equity and inflating prices.
2. Some of the participants in the discussion do not even live either place, like the Arizona poster who said "It's good you went back to CA! Coloradoans can't stand Californians so it is no wonder you couldn't find a job. "

Even as someone who has lived here most of my life, I have had my car keyed and broken into, and have been flipped off in traffic (that may have been my fault), though I have had Colorado plates on my cars since I started driving a bunch of years ago. There are people who will do those things wherever you end up.

In general, as was pointed out by several posters over there, we are a pretty welcoming bunch (or at least live and let live kind of folks), particularly those of us who have been here a while. Often those who are complaining the loudest about newcomers are the one who just changed their license plates last month.

Don't let it worry you. Come on out and enjoy living here!
Good luck with the new job and the move!
Mike Weber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area