Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,672 times

Advertisements

So the family and I are moving to Northern Colorado the first week of December and we're looking for rental homes in Loveland, Windsor and West Greeley (starting new job in Greeley). While searching I'm noticing quite a few train tracks, especially in the mid-Loveland area where there seem to be more rentals.

Are the trains a big pain or what? Where we currently live, in Los Angeles, we have trains that not only cause traffic but wake us (and our 5 month old) up in the middle of the night with their loud horns. We want to avoid this ... entirely. So tell me ... should I just stop looking anywhere near these areas? "Not a big deal" will be enough of a deal breaker for us ...

Thank you in advance, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM

192 posts, read 470,760 times
I own a rental property in Loveland that is about 2 blocks East of the rail line and YES, you can hear the train even though the tracks are significanty below the street height in that area. The train runs at least 3 times a day and they love to blow the horn. If you are really sensitive to train noise, then stay a few miles from the tracks. The air here is thin and sound have a tendency to travel farther tahn in lower elevations.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
It is not they love to blow their horns, they are required to do so for warning there is a train going to go through a street crossing for peoples safety.

You don't get the heavy train traffic, you are used to in California.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,672 times
Yes, I know how/why they blow their horns. Right now we live in a poorly planned area where there are crossing every few hundred yards ... it's terrible.

I'm noticing more and more homes near tracks away from actual crossings, but still pretty close ... it really looks like you could throw a rock from your backyard and hit the tracks. Would I need to worry about noise if we live in one of these homes? I'm conflicted ...

Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
Main cross streets in this area are usually spaced about a mile apart, so if you backed to the tracks, the farthest you would be from the crossing is .5 mile. If the train is required to start sounding the horn .25 mile before reaching the crossing, the farthest you would be from the sound of the horn is .25 mile. Even without the sound of the horn, if there is a squeaky wheel, you 'll hear it. The diesel engines are not terribly quiet, either. If you are very sensitive to the sound of a train, you had probably better avoid it.

That being said, I lived right next to the tracks in Fort Collins during college and got to the point where I hardly noticed the horn blowing 15 yards from my bedroom window.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
In Loveland, you can be miles away from the trains very easily, and still be in Loveland. We lived in Loveland years ago, and lived far enough in the 3 different homes we owned over that time period, and never did hear a train at our house.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM

27 posts, read 169,212 times
It is funny; when we moved to Loveland we looked at one house that was close to the tracks and we thought that was a bad idea. None of the other houses we looked at seemed close to the tracks. The house we ended up buying was probably about a mile from the tracks. After moving in and sleeping with the bedroom window opened, we noticed we could hear the trains. Eventually, we must have become accustomed to the sound because I rarely noticed it, but once in a while I would still hear it. Now we are in a house slightly closer to the tracks, but the bedroom is on the side away from the tracks and I never hear the trains.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is not they love to blow their horns, they are required to do so for warning there is a train going to go through a street crossing for peoples safety.
Kinda late on this, but I think the horn blowing is completely pointless. Anyone able to get away from the train tracks will hear, see, or feel it coming with or without a horn. If the engineer should see someone STUCK on the tracks, they can blow the horn for them (It'll probably have more of an effect in an area that isn't accustomed to hearing it all the time, though) If someone has fallen asleep or is walking with their discman on the tracks, same principle: Blowing the horn goes unheard until the train is quite close to them already.

Why NOT do it? I won't argue necessarily that it's "wrong", but the various health problems that can result from noise pollution probably constitute a bigger threat, since that affects everyone in the area every single day (Yes, even people who say they like the sound). Rant over.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM

7 posts, read 15,263 times
I used to hit the train 2X a day. to work and back. sucked waiting for traffic. lived 1/2 block from trax it was very annoying. ya u get used to it eventually somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area