Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 14,271 times

Advertisements

I am a student who will be working in Evans, CO this summer so I'm looking for a place to stay. One of my future coworkers advised me to live in Greeley as it will be an easy commute but some of the other students told me that Fort Collins will be better. I am just looking for an affordable place as I'll only spend three months there. I understand that Fort Collins has more activities but I thought it would be more expensive. On the other hand, I have heard that Greeley has an agricultural stench and it has many run down areas. I am still doing some research before I rent an apartment as I would not like to have a miserable summer.

For those of you who know the area very well, please give me advise as to where I should be looking for rental apartments and which areas (if any) I should stay away from. I am not the kind of person who would go partying every night because I want to take some classes while I work too so the place I live in has to be a conducive environment for studying.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 AM

423 posts, read 1,959,192 times
If you are going to work in Evans I would definately suggest living in Greeley or the surrounding area. A couple of smaller towns that you might want to look at are Eaton and Ault. They are fairly close to Greeley and very nice little towns. You should not have a problem finding a nice rental there. Be careful about where you live in Greeley. There are many good areas to the town but also many bad areas. There is a stench that comes from the meat packing plant but I don't think it drives anyone out of the city because it is overwhelming. I think if you come from a farming background it will not bother you as much than if you have been a city slicker all your life. To me it is not THAT bad. If you live in Fort Collins you are looking at a pretty good commute to Evans every day that will get old fast. You may also look into the Windsor area which would be a little more of a commute than Eaton but still not a bad drive.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
Fort Collins is IMO a far better place to live, though it comes with a cost -- Greeley is much cheaper. However, the commute from Fort Collins to Evans is long; you don't want to do it every day.

I suggest you live in Greeley, save some money, and "commute" to Fort Collins or the mountains in free time. Greeley isn't all bad -- there's probably enough to keep you entertained there on the weeknights, and you can spend your weekends out of town.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 28,618 times
all of greeley smells like cow dung.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unathi View Post
I am a student who will be working in Evans, CO this summer so I'm looking for a place to stay. One of my future coworkers advised me to live in Greeley as it will be an easy commute but some of the other students told me that Fort Collins will be better. I am just looking for an affordable place as I'll only spend three months there. I understand that Fort Collins has more activities but I thought it would be more expensive. On the other hand, I have heard that Greeley has an agricultural stench and it has many run down areas. I am still doing some research before I rent an apartment as I would not like to have a miserable summer.

For those of you who know the area very well, please give me advise as to where I should be looking for rental apartments and which areas (if any) I should stay away from. I am not the kind of person who would go partying every night because I want to take some classes while I work too so the place I live in has to be a conducive environment for studying.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
I'd go with Fort Collins, nice, quiet, clean town and when kids move out in the summer you can prob find a cheap sublease and maybe meet a few friends. It's farther commute but you'd experience Colorado more, since it's also closer to the foothills of the Front Range. I am currently subleasing here and you can find a room in a shared house for summer for prob $300+utlities a month.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM

23 posts, read 94,433 times
I've lived in both citites (I currently live in Greeley) and my experience in Greeley has been much better. For starters the cost of living in Fort Collins is laughably high in comparison. There's a good many stereotypes floating around the state about greeley that made me have second thoughts about moving. they include:
stench: I never smell anything.
crime: please. a friend's bike was stolen. that's the worse I've seen so far
ghetto: a very large portion of the city is actually well off and rich households in pleasant neighborhoods. Besides even the "ghettos" aren't that bad
boredom: there's actually quite a few fun things to do around town, and if not denver is a pretty short drive away

Don't get me wrong there are parts of the city I try to avoid and the Greeley police stay very busy from what I've seen but for the most part it's a great place for a really nice price. And the commute from fort collins would definately get old fast

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM

30 posts, read 146,085 times
Hello, we once thought of moving out to Fort Collins and while checking things out camped just outside Greeley. I would ask around before renting there. The campsite we were in was fine one night. Then the wind changed direction the 2nd night and the smell was awful. I've grown up in farm country and stayed on farms. That was no smell I had ever experienced before. Anyway, in defense of Greeley, maybe it is only in one area. Otherwise it just seemed like a nice small town. Call up local churches in the area. I have always found them to be a good source of information. Or at least a starting point. Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 97,851 times
Default Yep! I Wanna Move

My husband and I have lived in Greeley/Evans area for approximately 6 years. 1st good thing, North Colorado Medical Center offers quality health care. 2nd good thing, I don't waste money on fuel for my car because there is nowhere I care to go in Greeley. 3rd good thing, there are 4 seasons which do bring with them a little excitement. In trying to be nice to describe Greeley, I will say that we have had the opportunity to meet 1 family in these 6 years who we really like! Greeley has been a bad experience for us and I have to believe that if you like living in Greeley then maybe you have not experienced much else. The smell is the least of the problems with Greeley.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,976 times
I have only been to Greeley once in 2004. My youngest son's girlfriend was in the Miss Teen Colorado Pageant. We stayed the whole weekend and it was held at the college there.

It was very easy to navigate the area and, was a whole lot bigger than I thought it would be!! Even had a mall!! I was soo surprised!!

They were kind of "redoing" the main part of the downtown area and, I thought it was interesting.

Although I am from Colorado and absolutely love many areas, this wasn't my favorite!! I am currently in a small town that I love and, still thought Greeley had some catching up to do.
I would have to pick Ft. Collins. Much more fun and maybe a liitle bit more pleasing for someone younger!! IMO.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,697 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I've lived in both, Find a place in Greeley near your classes; there should be plenty of affordable summer rentals there. Smell is not a deal breaker, get used to it it is only for a 'season', and some folks deal with it their whole lives, and many not by choice... (Dairyfarmers, wives, kids...). You should get to Ft Collins for a preview, but I would spend available free time in the mountains. I would also make sure to get to Loveland for the Arts Fair in Aug (north shore park) and Boulder is a nice weekend destination too, as well as Colo Springs, and Glenwood Springs. There is a summer music festival at the YMCA in Estes Park that is great also. ..thus spend your time and $$ on something you will enjoy and remember.

Living in Ft Collins is nice if you can afford it, but it comes with a price, and traffic and drivers are a real 'case'. Evans is the opposite corner of Greeley and too far for commuting at current fuel prices (plus you would be wasting 1.5 hrs / day). You could ride a bike if you lived near UNC. I had a nice little trailer house in Evans while I was a student (Aims and UNC) it didn't kill me...but it was pretty hot in the summer

Good luck, enjoy your summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area