Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM

59 posts, read 60,318 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been lurking here on City Data for quite some time. I'm recently retired (April 30) from United Airlines, where I worked in Aircraft Maintenance.
I am looking to relocate out of northern NJ, mostly because of the high property taxes here. I've been drawn to CO for quite some years (actually a couple of decades), usually for snow skiing, but I have visited at other times of the year.
In late July, I visited the Loveland area, working with a local Realtor. I looked at some new construction developments (actually these were in Berthoud, CO) and liked what I saw.
One of my desires for a location to relocate to is to be within 1 - 1 1/2 hours of a major hub for United Airlines, so that I can easily use my travel benefits on United, which I retain in retirement. The Loveland / Ft Collins area fits the bill in this regard as being close enough to DIA.
Another area that I am looking at is Western VA, specifically the Winchester area. I looked at a 55+ community roughly 1/2 way between Winchester & Front Royal, VA, which I also liked. This area is about the same distance from Dulles Airport (another UAL hub) as the Loveland / Ft Collins area is from DIA.
I am looking at a single level home with basement (unfinished basement a plus), minimum 2 car garage. 3 car garage would be a plus. I would not like to go over $500k max.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I spent 11 years in COLO SPGS and 30 years in Chantilly, VA, so I know both areas well. We used to watch the SSTs come in for landings at IAD, quite a sight, and quite a sound too.

I know that one of UAL's most senior pilot trainers, who flew SR-71 Blackbirds, lives in Parker so he can commute easily to DIA.

Also note that there's a light rail line into DIA these days which adds more commuting choices.

All things being equal, I'd go with the Shenandoah Valley of VA. There is some skiing there, but much more in COLO. You could save $100k by buying in VA, put that $100k in a stock like AT&T or Verizon and book $5k year in dividends then use your UAL benefits to fly to COLO or UTAH to ski. The valley is gorgeous, has four full seasons, hunting, fishing, lots of rainfall for a garden and you're not all that far from the great cities of the east coast.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:37 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
I think either place would be nice and both should fit your price and commute targets although you will get lots and lots of snow in Loveland over the winter months that might make occasionally make roads impassable. Need to be comfortable driving in the snow. Also there is not much of a real summer around Loveland.

I would say that there is a much different feel between CO and VA. I think I would recommend you visit both places again and see which atmosphere you prefer.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
If you like Berthoud, that is a pretty good choice ("Garden Spot of Colorado"). A retired UA friend lives in nearby Carter Lake, and a couple between Berthoud and Carter Lake, and a few from Loveland.

For more services you can go to surrounding communities. For more 'recreation', consider Estes Park (Can be cold and windy much of winter, compared to Berthoud / Loveland.

Niwot / Gunbarrel / Louisville may work as well (and a tad closer to DEN).

For Colorado (and NM) Mtn access, Colo Springs is metro of choice for 'retired' military / School / Gov / and airline retirees I know.

For income tax free living WY is not so extra far. You can look into western WY and be within ~1 hr of SLC.

We enjoy income tax free West Columbia Gorge and are <20 min to PDX (Sales tax free), yet in a 'Scenic protected' rural area (No more homes allowed). Lots of retired and active Airline employees live nearby. PDX is a dream! Home to gate <30 min, including economy parking lot / Bus transfer / TSA.We fly nearly every week (often to escape rain). Sustainable living / year round veggie growing (and Skiing) and much recreation is possible in PNW. From PDX Area I can be on the slopes or beautiful Oregon Coast year round in under 1.2 hrs. And... I can get SUNSHINE by climbing to 5,000ft., or driving 1 hr east. (But I usually choose to fly to San Diego / VERY ez...!)

There is no place 20 Min to DEN I would want to live, so we use Loveland as a base while in CO.

We recently were hosted in Santa Rosa, CA by a retired UA couple, they had a SWEET deal (rural / vineyards surrounding their home, yet Prop 13, so VERY (very) low taxes!), and nice weather Year Round.

I think you have lots of options depending on your tolerance for weather and desired activities / access. We visit Asia and Oceania frequently, so Left coast is best (At the moment). Portland is <30 min and has 20 + colleges for cultural / learning/

I don't do 'humidity' / sweating during retirement, so... VA is OUT (for me).

I keep a place in TEX Hill Country (1 hr from AUS or SAT) for the 200+ days / yr that I prefer sun to drizzle. but.... it is the EVERGREEN State, so rain is to be expected (as well as decent skiing in OR, WA, ID, MT, and BC) All are pretty nearby. DEN or SLC is a short (1-2hr) flight away.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We used to watch the SSTs come in for landings at IAD, quite a sight, and quite a sound too.
Yes, they were a sight. Working (at the time) for Continental & being able to speak French (my mom is French), I was assigned to doing contract maintenance on Air France's B747's on their daily turns. A handful of times, the JFK bound Concorde diverted into Newark when JFK was socked in but Newark was open, so I got an up close & personal look at it a couple of times.
It never left Newark in afterburner, as it was only repositioning to JFK (about 20 or so miles away) to be loaded up & leave for Paris from there. As such, it was slightly quieter than if it had a full passenger & fuel load to make it to Europe.
Mark

Old 08-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I think either place would be nice and both should fit your price and commute targets although you will get lots and lots of snow in Loveland over the winter months that might make occasionally make roads impassable. Need to be comfortable driving in the snow. Also there is not much of a real summer around Loveland.

I would say that there is a much different feel between CO and VA. I think I would recommend you visit both places again and see which atmosphere you prefer.
I don't mind snow & driving in it. Having to support a 24/7 operation for the last 28 years, I've done it plenty of times, including when the governor "closed" all highways. My current home is on the back side of a ridge (1st range of the Watchung Mountains), so whenever I have to leave the house, I have to go up the ridge & about 1/2 way down the other side to the Interstate (about 3/4 mile away).

Having gone to school in FL & not liking it (too hot & too flat), I'm looking for someplace with 4 distinct seasons & if not in the mountains, close to them.

I would not want Northern VT or NH cold, however, nor the amount the snow that they get & stays for the entire winter. I've spent too many days skiing in sub zero weather up there to live in those conditions for an entire season.

Mark

Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Also note that there's a light rail line into DIA these days which adds more commuting choices.
I'm well aware of the rail line to DIA. The primary purpose of my trip to Denver last month was to attend the annual meeting of the Union Pacific Historical Society, which was being held at the DoubleTree Stapleton North.
I took the line into Union Station & had a look around Denver for the day.

I had gone out a day early to meet up with my realtor & look around the Loveland area. I had also been out to Loveland last November to look around.
Mark

Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all of your replies.

One thing about VA is that I'm more familiar with the climate & terrain there, as it would be similar to where I grew up & currently live in NJ. Maybe more humid, which would be a minus.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I tend to be drawn to Colorado. As a matter of fact, shortly after the CO/UA merger, I applied for a position (would of been a lateral transfer) at DIA with UA. Didn't get it though (somebody else did).

My parents are still alive, living in Clearwater, FL. They keep mentioning that Colorado is "so far away", but I respond that it's only about an hour or so longer flight than to Newark, maybe slightly more than an hour longer than to IAD.

Mark

Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I personally would choose western VA over CO, just for scenery and landscape alone. There are gorgeous stands of large trees there, with lots of greens, and plenty of shade.

As you mention, CO is farther than VA (with regard to your parents living in FL). Beside the flight time increase, the cost will also probably be higher, as they tend to be related. So you might want to factor that in too. As far as humidity goes, if you are used to NJ, and can handle that, you could certainly handle western VA.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:29 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
I have lived in Clinton , MD and Westminster , MD and Hanover PA. I prefer the Drier climate of the Front range , I miss the lush green foliage of the east but not the bugs except for " Fire flies ". I like the wide open vistas where one can see for almost a hundred miles on a clear day . I can drive to Wyoming and find a camp/fishing site with not a soul around. I miss the falls colors of the east but many of my friends have cabins in the mountains of Colorado and the turning of the aspens is great. I like the crazy spring snowstorms on the front range except if I am tying to get to work . It melts in a day and the air smells fresh. I miss the back roads while driving through the country form Baltimore to Hanover PA . I don't like sweating for hours while working in the yard every weekend but that happens everywhere. Still Colorado is the best Climate in my opinion. The one thing I will never get used to is " long lines " , traffic lights, gas stations, grocery stores, banks, highways and the less populated the area the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area