Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, there are much worse things children can be exposed to than drag queens reading books. If the parents don't want their children at the event, they don't have to take their children to the event. Simple as that.

"Live and let live" is a Colorado value. That has been the case since I moved here in 2004 and way before.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, wife and I have decided to lean a little more towards the "tolerant" side, but only a "little more".
I would suggest a much different angle than "tolerant". (A Very 1970-1980 solution) I had my first company class on 'tolerance' in 1976 (Northern Colorado).

I trust we have grown from there. Only a short 43 yrs ago... Such a view can add to inner turmoil / judgement / anger. There is a better way. (Sustainable and edifying)

Old 01-20-2019, 06:23 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would suggest a much different angle than "tolerant". (A Very 1970-1980 solution) I had my first company class on 'tolerance' in 1976 (Northern Colorado).

I trust we have grown from there. Only a short 43 yrs ago... Such a view can add to inner turmoil / judgement / anger. There is a better way. (Sustainable and edifying)
Then...….suggest a word and we will use it. Basically, we are trying to feel someway, a somewhat better way, but need the more "correct" word for it then.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
In my opinion, there are much worse things children can be exposed to than drag queens reading books. If the parents don't want their children at the event, they don't have to take their children to the event. Simple as that.

"Live and let live" is a Colorado value. That has been the case since I moved here in 2004 and way before.
I know, for a fact, that certain parts of Colorado, and parts of other Rocky Mountain and High Plains states don't necessarily have that "Live and let live" attitude. But, that is up to them. Do NOTE, I did say "don't necessarily, meaning that some things are ok, while other things not so much or not at all.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I know, for a fact, that certain parts of Colorado, and parts of other Rocky Mountain and High Plains states don't necessarily have that "Live and let live" attitude. But, that is up to them. Do NOTE, I did say "don't necessarily, meaning that some things are ok, while other things not so much or not at all.
No doubt there are portions of our state that are like that. But, the stuck-in-the-past attitude is less common along the Front Range. Even where I live in a more conservative part of the Denver metro area, Parker, I don't think most folks would even blink twice if a drag queen convention came to town.

I'm curious why you are interested in Colorado? There are much more conservative surrounding states that seem more suited to your ideology. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all. Have you thought about Wyoming, Montana or South Dakota? Beautiful, wide open spaces, and much more conservative than Colorado. And, you get way more for your money.

Regardless, if you decide to move here, please know you are welcome! In spite of our differences, I'd invite you to dinner at my table and welcome you as my neighbor. Just don't be surprised if we also have a drag queen on the other side of our table as a guest

Old 01-20-2019, 06:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
"Tolerant" is not only a word, it is an action, and can (likely) imply "Even tho I would normally condemn your actions, I have chosen to not attack you / or situation" = a judgmental view, tho not confronting.

Much better to get beyond personal "judging". Certainly will help you sleep better at night and not raise your BP.

Yes, I still have and ascribe to my value set (for me as / I instructed my family (tho do not FORCE)), In actuality; my value set is VERY counter culture to today's Colorado. (I'm a Western Plains Prairie Kid). Roots from Sterling, CO east to Kearney, NE and will this yr celebrate 150 anniversary of Pioneer Homestead). Tragic failures (Dust bowl / Depression / locust attacks...) resulted in 3x the farm had to be bought back. Very purposeful, committed ancestry who weathered the tough burdens of the prairie endured for each generation. I spent many a blizzard lambing and calving + was sent to Dairy Farm Boarding school (not for FUN!!!) i.e. I have a pretty 'old-school' regional value set.

I do not 'tolerate' those who are living contrary to my value set. I seek to understand their journey is valid and far different from mine. I know they have their reasons, I also know they can erode my community. I have fought that battle to exhaustion (in my 20's and 30's). Then I moved from CO and lived overseas and as a minority in 6 different countries for 10+ yrs and have been still engaged in those countries for nearly 30 yrs.

The USA is very FREE for expression and that will continue (+/-). The USA is also declining in our economic, education, and world strength (+/-). Countries follow a natural progression. Ours is VERY short on history, taking advice, strategical planning, and recognizing threats.

We will ALL pay. (dearly...) many already have with their lives (for last 250 yrs).

And another chapter will unfold. The story is not yet complete.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
No doubt there are portions of our state that are like that. But, the stuck-in-the-past attitude is less common along the Front Range. Even where I live in a more conservative part of the Denver metro area, Parker, I don't think most folks would even blink twice if a drag queen convention came to town.

I'm curious why you are interested in Colorado? There are much more conservative surrounding states that seem more suited to your ideology. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all. Have you thought about Wyoming, Montana or South Dakota? Beautiful, wide open spaces, and much more conservative than Colorado. And, you get way more for your money.

Regardless, if you decide to move here, please know you are welcome! In spite of our differences, I'd invite you to dinner at my table and welcome you as my neighbor. Just don't be surprised if we also have a drag queen on the other side of our table as a guest
We use to have a house in Parker, from 2004 thru Oct 2007. Back then, Parker was much smaller than now, but was definitely growing. Back then, Parker still had that "small town" feeling to it and that proved true due to their 4th of July Celebration/Fireworks in an open field and their Parker Days parade that included equestrian units. HOWEVER, Parker has certainly grown since we moved and I wouldn't doubt the new citizens would have more of a "live and let live" attitude to them than when we lived there. But, no Strip/Gentlemen's Club there and that is very good.

Why are we interested in Colorado...…..because there are different things that we miss about living there, that we don't have here. I've already stated this in other replies, but will let you know: Rocky Mountain National Park and the Elk "rut", small freshwater lakes/reservoirs (like Chatfield/CC), plenty of rodeo action (since I use to be a member of pro-rodeo) and the list goes on. We know that parts of Colorado has changed, just ask those pioneer Seniors who live in Loveland, concerning the population explosion that's happened there. Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota are nice, but the winters are worse than even northern Colorado.

IOW, we want both the "smaller city" and "outskirts" feeling, like we did when we lived in Parker. Windsor, Loveland, Berthound and surrounding has this. Even FC can have this, but is bigger than those.

Hope this answers your curiosity.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM

To make somewhat of a comparison to what my Thread here is about, there is a small town in So California called Norco, where some "progression" started and was definitely not liked. I went to a Roping School there, and even though I did live and work in Orange County, Calif (Anaheim), I spent many weekend hours in Norco and parts of Riverside. This was in the 90's. I took my wife, who fit into the Norco "look" perfectly, to the Cowgirl Café for breakfast. We were both pretty shocked at what the "new-comers" to Norco looked like. Definitely not what Norco was about...….the "horseman" look.

Anyway, Norco was definitely a "horse town" and was even featured in the magazine, Western Horseman. They even had a major rodeo that packed the stands, with nice prize money. Then came the "big city" folks from Orange and Los Angeles Counties. Those folks didn't like horses, the smell or the way Norco looked. The wanted to replace the horse paths on Main Street (in front of homes), with sidewalks for skateboards. IOW, they wanted to get rid of the "horse town" look. The "Old-Timers" and even younger folks were going to fight back.

Perhaps the "Old Windsor", like the "old Loveland" could be compared to what "old Norco" use to look like and be and how people wanted to fight to keep it that way. Don't know what it's like today.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
It's easy to long for yesteryear, but it's not coming back. Either be at peace with ever-changing life and the future, or continue to wrestle with it and live in the past, being miserable in the process.

Of all the places I've lived, Colorado (especially the CO of now) is by far embracing change and the future. You see it in the huge numbers of younger people drawn to this area, which outpace all other age groups. You also see it in the large numbers from California, Oregon, NE, etc. The changes are more exponential than linear.

Seems like a poor choice for those wanting to step back in time. Or is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence? That's an unending chase that can never be satisfied...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-21-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's easy to long for yesteryear, but it's not coming back. Either be at peace with ever-changing life and the future, or continue to wrestle with it and live in the past, being miserable in the process.

Of all the places I've lived, Colorado (especially the CO of now) is by far embracing change and the future. You see it in the huge numbers of younger people drawn to this area, which outpace all other age groups. You also see it in the large numbers from California, Oregon, NE, etc. The changes are more exponential than linear.

Seems like a poor choice for those wanting to step back in time. Or is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence? That's an unending chase that can never be satisfied...
We don't mind some "change", and we've seen a lot more than "some change" where we currently live. But, take away the elk, fields of corn, tractors sitting around, round bales of hay laying around, cattle grazing and the rodeo action...……... THAT will be going too far. Fortunately, Colorado will never be all "big cities" and the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo will continue on, as well as other rodeos along the Front Range.

One thing is true, and very factual, not all of Colorado is changing. Simply drive thru part of Loveland going towards, and to, Carter Lake...…….no changes there.

As far as young people go, they want to live in an area that has very nice salaries...…...like the Springs or Denver. Loveland, Windsor, Berthound, Longmont and even FC isn't going to offer the nice paying jobs these young "college educated" people want. At least that what we think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area