Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times

Advertisements

South Florida Speculators Outbid Average Homebuyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM

423 posts, read 1,643,574 times
I fully agree... i see this on a daily basis. To get a real bank owned bargain you have to have cash. In fact most of the 'steals' for cash at above asking price.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM

157 posts, read 601,251 times
I just went through that experience on a personal level, it took 9 months to get an offer accepted on a house, I put offers on 6 properties and everytime I was outbid by speculators just to see the house go back on the market a couple of months later. I finally bought the home I'm living now and it only happened because I offered full price and I was prequalified for a loan so I was able to close in less than 30 days.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Here we go again.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default you stole my line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Here we go again.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
There will always be flippers, but I don't think they are as many as the article states, well at least not cash speculators. What banks are doing now days is setting low asking prices and they usually just ignore any offers below those. If the bank doesn't sell a property they might relist it for a lower price. The best way to know if you are paying a fair value is to check the selling price of the recently sold properties in that area.

There is an advantage when you have cash, but it's not that huge considering that you could be investing that money. Banks still prefer a higher financed offer over a lower cash offer, the difference is not that huger 5k or 10k if you get very lucky or the bank is really desperate to get rid of the property. Property values are still falling in many areas, many foreclosures are still to come, so it is a huge risk but some people make a living out of this.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
There will always be flippers, but I don't think they are as many as the article states, well at least not cash speculators. What banks are doing now days is setting low asking prices and they usually just ignore any offers below those. If the bank doesn't sell a property they might relist it for a lower price. The best way to know if you are paying a fair value is to check the selling price of the recently sold properties in that area.

There is an advantage when you have cash, but it's not that huge considering that you could be investing that money. Banks still prefer a higher financed offer over a lower cash offer, the difference is not that huger 5k or 10k if you get very lucky or the bank is really desperate to get rid of the property. Property values are still falling in many areas, many foreclosures are still to come, so it is a huge risk but some people make a living out of this.
Princess - how do you know this to be fact? I have heard the exact opposite so, I am very interested in this point.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 PM

157 posts, read 601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Here we go again.
was this meant for my comment? sorry! I won't mention it again on any other threads

Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitelady View Post
was this meant for my comment? sorry! I won't mention it again on any other threads
oh gosh no - not like that. I meant it like here we go again...the prices will run up again - the whole bubble & bust cycle. Your story is exactly the sort of thing the article was talking about! I didn't know you went through all that before you got your house. Plus, even if I had heard the story a dozen times, Im just not that rude, lol

Old 08-07-2010, 12:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Princess - how do you know this to be fact? I have heard the exact opposite so, I am very interested in this point.
I did say I think. I was helping a relative with a cash purchase and didn't really see any advantage. Banks are holding foreclosures (I know that bacause I know many people that are not making payments and are still living in their properties.) so there is always some competition. When I went to see the properties most buyers looked like families and not investors. It's easier to invest 60 or 80k in a condo than in a single family home. You can still rent the condo and make profit. Not everybody has 200 or 250k available for a cash home purchase and you can easily be outbid by someone that is gonna finance the extra 10k or 15k for The next 30 years, their mortage payment is not gonna increase by much.

I say listen to other cash purchasers. Buying a property is very stressful and many people are willing to pay more when they fall in love with a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area