Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM

11 posts, read 32,765 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I will be moving to South Florida in August for work -- really looking forward to escaping my Canadian winters! After skulking around this forum for a bit, thought I would reach out with a couple commuter questions, as this will help me figure out where to look for a condo to rent.

My work will take me from Deerfield Beach to Miami's Brickell Ave. I will be spending roughly 7 months out of each year in Deefield, with the remainder anywhere in the South Florida area (the uncertainty sucks, I know). I thought I would look in the Ft. Lauderdale area for a place to live as it represents fun, urban living kind of in the middle of my possible commuting range.

Google Maps is saying that living in Ft. Lauderdale would get me to Deerfield in about 30 mins. For those months when I have to get into Miami, I see from previous threads that the I-95 is ridiculous, so I was thinking of taking the TriRail or the I-95 Express bus (I would rather sit on a train or bus for an hour rather than driving through rush hour traffic myself).

I am hoping that going North to Deerfield on the I-95 in the morning would be opposite rush hour traffic... is this true? What's the rush hour commute like Northbound in the morning and Southbound in the evening on the I-95, i.e. is Google's 30 mins reasonable?

Finally, does anyone have experience with taking the TriRail in from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami Brickell during rush hour? How about the 95 Express bus?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,476,911 times
It is doable if you live and work right off of a train station. Otherwise, you would have to find transportation to and from each train station. Deerfield and Fort Lauderdale are large places. Your work could be 2 miles from a Tri Rail station. In Miami, there is a train station in Brickell. You could take the Tri Rail south and switch onto the Miami metro rail system which takes you into downtown and Brickell.

Also, the traffic is bad on I-95 no matter which direction you're going from Fort Lauderdale because people commute to West Palm Beach. It is probably less severe heading north from Ft. Lauderdale to Deerfield than vice versa but it is no cakewalk. I can assure you of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area