Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 AM

8 posts, read 26,158 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal: my baby cousin is 21 and gay (like...very gay). He has been living with me and my spouse snd kid for awhile working as a waiter. We are moving to MI and he isn't really interested in coming, me and my partner told him that if he moved somewhere semi-affordable and goes to college/works part time we will cover the rest up to $1500 more (figure he will be bringing in a grand a month waiting tables part time). He's family and we are Irish and take care of each other lol. Plus he lost his parents young so my family (our household plus my brother, mom, and grandma) are all he's got. He wants to live in a "gay village" and we can't afford Chelsea or San Fran (not that it's THAT gay anymore) or WeHo. Also he likes warm weather and FL College options (Broward College and then transfer to FIU in Miami and commute) for nursing.!

However, is Wilton Manors a good fit for a 21 year old little Twink lol? Or is it all older retirees and Bears that will eat him alive? He doesn't want to be in a retirement community.

Is Wilton Manors or the part of Oakland Park adjacent to WM a good fit? It's really the only true "gay village" in the sense of the word left that isn't wicked expensive.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 PM

100 posts, read 103,803 times
WiMa (Wilton Manors) and Oakland Park are both good fits, with the latter probably a little younger and more affordable, but it's not compact like WiMa with everything being walking distance. But...he doesn't have to limit himself to those two areas. All of Ft Lauderdale is *very* gay, and he'd be comfortable anywhere in or around the city. Other heavily gay neighborhoods in Ft Lauderdale are the Las Olas area, downtown, Holiday Park and Victoria Park.

As for nursing, he can get all his nursing credentials at Broward College. He doesn't need to transfer to FIU.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolwalrus View Post
All of Ft Lauderdale is *very* gay.
Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolwalrus View Post
he doesn't have to limit himself to those two areas
True.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Yea those areas are just fine but Wilton Manors is not cheap like you think it is this is South Florida where you if you never lived here will realize it could just as expensive as any other place.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 PM

50 posts, read 85,884 times
Oakland Park is cheaper than Wilton Manors, but I don't think it has a "gay village" vibe to it. Heck, I don't think it has any sort of vibe at all. Only thing there is Funky Buddha.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardNole View Post
Oakland Park is cheaper than Wilton Manors, but I don't think it has a "gay village" vibe to it. Heck, I don't think it has any sort of vibe at all. Only thing there is Funky Buddha.
That's how it seemed to me. I found some places online that look nice.

Do people just live there for the price? It seems cheaper than Wilton Manors.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 PM

46 posts, read 69,244 times
I live in a studio in Wilton manors, very affordable. (Under $800) My building is older and that is why. Craiglist is a very good source to find them. I am straight and I am a minority , lol!!

Old 02-13-2015, 05:53 AM

50 posts, read 85,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
That's how it seemed to me. I found some places online that look nice.

Do people just live there for the price? It seems cheaper than Wilton Manors.
Price and location, I'd imagine. It is right in the center of Broward and has easy access to I-95, the beach, and downtown FTL. It actually is probably a good time to buy in that City if you're interested; I think they were number two or three in property value growth last year for the whole County.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 PM

24 posts, read 19,228 times
He could look at other places too, like Delray Beach or Boca. He's a bit young, though, he would need a place where there are bars and more lively social life and where he sees guys his own age walking around. Maybe he'll get a job after he graduates in one of the first gay assisted care facilities!

Came across this post by accident, tell us what eventually happened to him. Hope he's doing OK, wherever he landed.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
If you can afford Wilton Manors do it, it's more expensive than Oakland Park but nicer too, and it is an older gay demographic with bitter old queens for the most part. Parts of Ft Lauderdale surrounding WM are a good place too, like a little south on Dixie or east of it like Middle River terrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area