Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I found my current house on Zillow. It was listed there prior to the MLS, actually. I was lucky to find it as it would have been snatched up immediately once properly listed. Realtor.com is more up to date than Zillow, but Zillow is by no means way outdated.
It was listed on Zillow first probably because at some point it was for sale by owner.

If a real estate agent lists a house the first thing we do is put in on MLS.

Many houses never even get listed on Zillow, and you only see their pulled-out-of-thin-air Zestimate value which more often than not is way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 12:01 AM

19 posts, read 22,449 times
Quote:
Personally, with your budget, I would definitely look in Cooper City. Outstanding schools all the way through high school. It's not obnoxiously west and "out there" like Weston, and is surrounded by absolutely everything. We have immediately access to all the stores and shopping in Pines. 75 and 595 are both less than 10 minutes away. I get to Fort Lauderdale Airport in under 20 minutes, 25 - 30 minutes for Miami Airport, Sawgrass is 15 minutes, Markham is close, CB Smith, tons of parks and recreation activities in Cooper also. It's easily the best suburb for families in South Florida, by a long shot.

Look in Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes to start. Larger lots in Rock Creek, but there are other housing (non-HOA) areas as well in Cooper City. I have no clue about English-Spanish programs in Cooper City, though.
Can you give me suggestions of schools to look into? I'm currently using https://k12.niche.com and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to discover schools and then I search google/yelp/the internet for reviews to get a broader picture about them.

Looking at Cooper City the best high school is:

https://k12.niche.com/cooper-city-hi...ooper-city-fl/
Cooper City High School - Cooper City, Florida - FL - School overview

Which seems like a decent school sitting right on the national average for SAT and slightly below on ACT but when you compare that to Weston:

https://k12.niche.com/cypress-bay-hi...ool-weston-fl/
Cypress Bay High School - Weston, Florida - FL - School quality

Its significantly above national averages on everything and has higher diversity.

I don't want to turn this into weston vs cooper or cypress vs cooper high, just want to have an honest discussion with people living in these areas to get a better feel for these schools. Standardized testing only tells a small part of the store and doesn't give you a great understanding of how the schools actually operate.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I think it should be noted that $2500/mo is nowhere near a $500,000 house in this area. I know you are talking about renting vs buying, but I know $2500/mo can get you near a $500k house in other areas in the country, but not here. With our insurance and taxes, that is a $350k house with a sub 4% loan. Just want to make sure you are aware of that and keep your expectations realistic when it comes to purchasing.
Yeah, I understand that. Its not that $2500/month is all we can afford, its just all we want to spend on renting. Keeping our rent low allows us to put more into savings in preparation for purchasing and once we are paying towards a mortgage we are willing to pay more.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

You may want to consider some other areas such as Boca Raton, Coral Springs, and Parkland. If you want bigger lots, Davie and Cooper City may be good choices. All of those areas have good schools.
How familiar are you with Parkland and Cooper City? They seem like decent options as alternatives to Weston. Weston still seems best from my research but I want to gather as much information as possible.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:38 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sontek View Post
Can you give me suggestions of schools to look into? I'm currently using https://k12.niche.com and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to discover schools and then I search google/yelp/the internet for reviews to get a broader picture about them.

Looking at Cooper City the best high school is:

https://k12.niche.com/cooper-city-hi...ooper-city-fl/
Cooper City High School - Cooper City, Florida - FL - School overview

Which seems like a decent school sitting right on the national average for SAT and slightly below on ACT but when you compare that to Weston:

https://k12.niche.com/cypress-bay-hi...ool-weston-fl/
Cypress Bay High School - Weston, Florida - FL - School quality

Its significantly above national averages on everything and has higher diversity.

I don't want to turn this into weston vs cooper or cypress vs cooper high, just want to have an honest discussion with people living in these areas to get a better feel for these schools. Standardized testing only tells a small part of the store and doesn't give you a great understanding of how the schools actually operate.

I'm in a position where I can live just about anywhere I want to down here. I grew up in Cooper City and know it well. We currently have a house in Cooper City. However, we are moving to West Davie which uses Weston for the elementary school and Davie for middle/high schools. The only reason we are moving is that Cooper City doesn't offer the type of house/property that we want and the 1 acre properties with large houses is almost entirely a Davie thing in this area. So Davie it is. I have 2 children but we are a couple years away from elementary school still.

That said, you are over analyzing the schools at this point. I know the area well and I'm fine with the Davie/Weston schools just as much as Cooper City. Both Cooper City and Weston have outstanding schools and you are better off finding a neighborhood that you prefer. Go look at houses and neighborhoods in both and see which works best for you. Cooper City is a bit more central and closer to stuff and a little more down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area