Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,949,173 times

Advertisements

Wow......where do I start? I'm a guy who has been living in Broward for over 22 years so this County is intimately familiar to me. I'm going to address your questions one at a time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l22 View Post
Is it just me or is there nothing for millenials to do in Broward County?
That is a broad statement and I completely disagree. I highly doubt that most millennials cant find anything to do. Broward county has a ton of entertainment options. Its not as robust as Miami but there is enough variety here to fit anyone's tastes.

Quote:
Every bar I go to has older people - mostly seniors and every date I've been on the woman has not been in her 20s lol
That's funny because my experience has been the total opposite. Every girl I have ever dated in Broward in my twenties/thirties has been in their twenties. So I have no idea why you can't find them because they are all around you. In fact, its hard for me to wrap my head around what your saying. Are you saying that you can't get a woman in her twenties to go out with you or that you never see any women in their twenties when you go out?

Quote:
And.... every girl down here in her 20s appears to already have a kid, which I'm definitely not interested in lol - and she had the kid when she was like 17!
Again, my experience has been the opposite. I don't know where you are looking for girls or what caliber of women you are looking at but that has not been my experience at all. None of those girls from above had a kid. A few had abortions but that's about as close as they came. In fact, most women I have met that were in their twenties didn't have a kid.

Quote:
It seems like the dating scene down here is the worst in the world and meeting people who aren't materialistic douchebags is tough.
I agree with the second part. A higher proportion of women in South Florida seem to be materialistic compared to the average woman in the USA. However, the dating scene here is not "the worst" as you put it.

Quote:
I feel like I just don't fit in down here. Just wondering if it's just me lol. I don't think it is.
Most likely it is you. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It just means that you don't fit in with the culture of South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 08:59 PM

307 posts, read 326,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
South Florida does have many beautiful people (although most are tourists)

This statement is just crazy, and is actually the total opposite of the truth. The overwhelming majority of the beautiful people around South Florida are locals, and there's no debating that fact. I would even go as far as saying the average local is by far more beautiful then the average tourist. It's not that the average tourist is ugly, it's just that the diversity and concentration of the beautiful locals is unreal.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:54 PM
l22 l22 started this thread

30 posts, read 32,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Wow......where do I start? I'm a guy who has been living in Broward for over 22 years so this County is intimately familiar to me. I'm going to address your questions one at a time:

That is a broad statement and I completely disagree. I highly doubt that most millennials cant find anything to do. Broward county has a ton of entertainment options. Its not as robust as Miami but there is enough variety here to fit anyone's tastes.

That's funny because my experience has been the total opposite. Every girl I have ever dated in Broward in my twenties/thirties has been in their twenties. So I have no idea why you can't find them because they are all around you. In fact, its hard for me to wrap my head around what your saying. Are you saying that you can't get a woman in her twenties to go out with you or that you never see any women in their twenties when you go out?

Again, my experience has been the opposite. I don't know where you are looking for girls or what caliber of women you are looking at but that has not been my experience at all. None of those girls from above had a kid. A few had abortions but that's about as close as they came. In fact, most women I have met that were in their twenties didn't have a kid.

I agree with the second part. A higher proportion of women in South Florida seem to be materialistic compared to the average woman in the USA. However, the dating scene here is not "the worst" as you put it.

Most likely it is you. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It just means that you don't fit in with the culture of South Florida.
I have to say thank you for a response where you don't just tear down what I'm saying but voice why you disagree instead of just insulting me because you disagree. I value that you disagree with me and could use fresh perspective vs. some of the previous people responding who simply want to insult me for what I was saying/think what I'm saying is completely outrageous. It seems previous people replying took what I said very personally. That's too bad.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,386,450 times
Quote:
It seems previous people replying took what I said very personally. That's too bad.

Re-read your posts.
You insulted the population of Fort Lauderdale a few times.
If you talk like that in a social situation I can see why you'd have some problems making quality friends/dates.
(And I mean that constructively - not trying to be mean.)

That being said you can't find dates/friends at meetup.com or decent places to go on Yelp??

Have you gone to The Cove aka Two Georges in Deerfield for Friday happy hour?
(If you can't a date at The Cove during Friday happy hour.. something is wrong.)
Is Shooters still a good place on Sundays (it's been years since I've been there)?
What about Cafe Martorano in Ft Lauderdale late night?
Where do you go OP?

Last edited by cfbs2691; 05-02-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 AM

623 posts, read 957,318 times
Quote:
I've lived here 4 years now and came from up north. I was 23 when I came now I'm 27. I moved down because my parents who I lived with after I graduated college were moving down here (to Lauderdale-by-the-sea). Is it just me or is there nothing for millenials to do in Broward County? Every bar I go to has older people - mostly seniors and every date I've been on the woman has not been in her 20s lol - she's normally 30-45ish.... And.... every girl down here in her 20s appears to already have a kid, which I'm definitely not interested in lol - and she had the kid when she was like 17! It seems like the dating scene down here is the worst in the world and meeting people who aren't materialistic douchebags is tough. Is it just me or are there any other millenials down here who feel like South Florida provides them with nothing lol. I feel like I just don't fit in down here. Just wondering if it's just me lol. I don't think it is.
Yes it's you NEXT

Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,169,387 times
You need to as they say "flood the zone."

Try online dating. Tinder. Okcupid. PlenyofFish. Message friends of friends on twitter or facebook that are attractive. Everybody is doing it now. There is zero stigma and you are more likely to find a decent woman online who is less of a gold digger than in bars in my humble opinion.

Bars. Clubs. Sports. Gyms. Political activism. Do it all.

AND CHANGE THE ATTITUDE.

Women like confidence and hate needy sounding men that have the smell of desperation on them. Man up and stop whining. I'm just trying to help.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:27 PM
l22 l22 started this thread

30 posts, read 32,712 times
I feel like a lot of you replying are older Generation X and Baby Boomers. Are there any actual milennials on here who care to comment?

Old 05-30-2017, 05:02 AM

196 posts, read 157,768 times
Quote:
I feel like a lot of you replying are older Generation X and Baby Boomers. Are there any actual milennials on here who care to comment?
Yep.

Depends on what you want to do, really. My spare time hobby is scale modeling, and there are plenty of hobby shops around. Contrast to Memphis, a city my company sent me to on a business, and there was one hobby shop that was absolutely gross. So SFL wins there...

If you are referring to the social partying / dating scene, you're right, it is somewhat hard to pick up girls here aa most have a huge entitlement complex, but at the same time, they have nothing to offer but their looks. So it's great if you're looking for one night stands, but not for long term relationships. I'm not really an expert anyway, as I don't and never will drink (even several years after 21 I find the taste bitter and disgusting) or party for no apparent reason. I have heard that there are a variety of bars and clubs, but that just isn't my thing...

Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times
Quote:
I also forgot to put this in my original post: It seems people are very uneducated down here - the rich and poor alike. With the rich people my age, it seems most of them just inherited this wealth and got lucky, but that doesn't make them any less stupid, just rich lol. As a result, there's really no culture down here that I see. Although I don't know Miami well. I'm speaking only about Fort Lauderdale/Broward.

https://www.browardcenter.org/

Organiste.net | Classical Music Concerts, calendar, Organ Recitals, Chamber Music, Orchestra, Jazz, Broadway, Theatre. Free events. Email marketing for classical arts and nonprofits. Jobs in the arts

You have to look for the arts but it is here. As with most of the country (not just Broward) the crowd that enjoys classical music and live theater tends to be a bit older. You really will find that everywhere.

If you are looking for educated young people stop looking in bars in Lauderdale By The Sea. There are plenty of things for the young adult crowd in Fort Lauderdale. You have the beach, music festivals, concerts, bars (try Himmarshee area if you want a younger crowd), arts and crafts festivals and all sorts of other stuff but none of that happens in Lauderdale By the Sea.

If you join a church/synagogue you will probably meet some people who are interested in things other than partying. My kids have moved out of South Florida but many of their high school friends are here, they are college graduates. They are not stupid party animals. They like the beach. The young men like paintball. They see movies, go bowling. There is a new skydiving place in Davie. There are antique car shows. Find stuff to do. Fort Lauderdale is always busy because there are things to do.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:59 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
https://www.browardcenter.org/

Organiste.net | Classical Music Concerts, calendar, Organ Recitals, Chamber Music, Orchestra, Jazz, Broadway, Theatre. Free events. Email marketing for classical arts and nonprofits. Jobs in the arts

You have to look for the arts but it is here. As with most of the country (not just Broward) the crowd that enjoys classical music and live theater tends to be a bit older. You really will find that everywhere.

If you are looking for educated young people stop looking in bars in Lauderdale By The Sea. There are plenty of things for the young adult crowd in Fort Lauderdale. You have the beach, music festivals, concerts, bars (try Himmarshee area if you want a younger crowd), arts and crafts festivals and all sorts of other stuff but none of that happens in Lauderdale By the Sea.

If you join a church/synagogue you will probably meet some people who are interested in things other than partying. My kids have moved out of South Florida but many of their high school friends are here, they are college graduates. They are not stupid party animals. They like the beach. The young men like paintball. They see movies, go bowling. There is a new skydiving place in Davie. There are antique car shows. Find stuff to do. Fort Lauderdale is always busy because there are things to do.
You don't have to look hard for the arts.... they are everywhere here. Himmarshee is also a great MILF attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area