Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 AM

173 posts, read 680,859 times

Advertisements

As the question states, I just want to know what the city is like as far as looks (Like which other S. Florida city does it share characteristics with, like Boca Raton or something), crime rate, congestion, jobs, etc goes. I'm not planning on moving there or anything (Already have plans for Boca), but I just saw the name a while ago on a different section of this site and it triggered some curiosity on what the city is like, because I don't know anything about it.

Would also like info on Jupiter as well

Last edited by rickyd; 03-13-2008 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
I had a girlfriend who lived in Century Village in Pembroke Pines and from the few times I visited her, my impression of the area was "so-so" and typical of everything else around there, high traffic, nothing special about it !

Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
It's congestion is probably the worst in Broward. The traffic moves, but it's very thick and the drivers are not very skilled at what they are doing which makes it very bad. Some parts here and there aren't that congested.

It's, as of 2007, the second safest large city in Florida (to Coral Springs), and ranks somewhere in the low 50s nationally according to Morgan-Quitno. The violent crime rate is very low and property crime is average to low.

It's pretty much a straight up bedroom community and also a heavy shopping area. Mostly Miami commuters, so there aren't many jobs in city limits unless you want to ring groceries.

It's generally cleaner and more afuflent west of Palm Ave. Interestingly it's also more diverse west of Palm Ave. In fact it's probably the most diverse city in Florida, although a few of the Hispaniphobes claim it's 100% Hispanic even though the largest group (whites) is somewhere under 40% of the population, so it's basically a mixture. I don't recommend that area to racists of any color or people who like all people to look the same as them.

It generally is relatively clean looking, and it's known for it's strong (read, ridiculous) code enforcement. West of 75 looks a little tiny bit like West Boca and it's more upscale with a lot of gated communities, between 75 and University it looks like a South Florida version of any suburb USA, east of and along University Drive towards Hollywood, it borders on trashy looking. Most of the city has a crowded feeling, although west of Dykes Rd it doesn't feel too chaotic.

The schools are generally considered to be average to above average, but not the best, with some very highly ranked elementary schools. They are also known to be overcrowded, although in the past 5 years a lot of relief has taken place in that regard. The further west, the better the schools.

So basically, it's alright...it has some good spots and it's not a bad area at all but there are other communities that I would rather live in. To me it's more of a community you shop in than live in, unless you work in an area like Hialeah, then it's ok for young families who don't want to commute too far.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM

thnx for a very deep reply about Pembroke Pines. Thank God that I didn't decide to move to that area.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
CONGESTED beyond belief

Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM

I know this isn't the topic for this question, but since i'm the OP, I would also like to know the same info about Jupiter, Hallandale, and Dania Beach.

And in addition, I would like to know IF there are any cities in Dade that have similar attributes to Boca or Plantation.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
I know this isn't the topic for this question, but since i'm the OP, I would also like to know the same info about Jupiter, Hallandale, Dania Beach, and IF there are any cities in Dade that have similar attributes to Boca or Plantation.
Dania is run down, dated and just crappy. Seems to be a lot of drugs in that area too. It's a very strange and run down area.

Jupiter is one of the nicest areas in South Florida. I would take probably (scratch, definitely) take it over Plantation and definitely over Boca. But it still has the uptight "Orange County meets Long Island" vibe to it to me. But it's more down to earth than other areas in Palm Beach County. Not really any work though.

Hallandale is fine east of US1 if you are over 55 and want to live in a high rise. West of US1 it's run down and crappy.

And no, there isn't really anything in Dade like those places.

And I wouldn't consider Pembroke Pines "Congested beyond belief". If you have ever been to any shopping-oriented suburb, that's what it's like. Nothing unbelievable about it, no 10 stack interchanges with cars piled on top of each other, in fact I haven't even physically been "stuck in traffic" there, the lights seem well timed on that side of town, in fact they have traffic sensors on that side of town. Just a lot of volume.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-14-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Once again, thanks for the reply. It seems as if when I move to Boca, I had better keep my @ss in Boca. lol. Those were just some places that I was curious about and thought about MAYBE visiting.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
It seems as if when I move to Boca, I had better keep my @ss in Boca. lol. Those were just some places that I was curious about and thought about MAYBE visiting.
Yeah, but you are naming all of the wrong places . There are other decent places depending on where you work, like Coral Springs, Wellington, the west part of Boynton Beach, Weston, Palm Beach Gardens and plenty more. It's worth visiting all of the areas anyway, good or bad, just to get a true feel of what it's like down here. Visit some of the bad areas in Palm Beach/Broward County and visit some of the good areas too. Drive on I-595 at 5 in the afternoon from Ft. Lauderdale to Weston. Drive on I-95 from West Palm to Boca. It will really give you a vibe of what it's like down here.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
And I wouldn't consider Pembroke Pines "Congested beyond belief". If you have ever been to any shopping-oriented suburb, that's what it's like. Nothing unbelievable about it, no 10 stack interchanges with cars piled on top of each other, in fact I haven't even physically been "stuck in traffic" there, the lights seem well timed on that side of town, in fact they have traffic sensors on that side of town. Just a lot of volume.
I have to disagree with you. The traffice in PP can be HORRIFIC. I frequently alter my route when I have to trave; on Pines Blvd. It can take 5 or 6 light changes to get through the light at Flamingo/Pines.

I live in Weston and PP is closer with respect to traffic than Plantation. But I almost always shop at Broward Mall over Pembroke Lakes, Best Buy in Plantation over PP, Barnes & Noble in Plantation in Plantation.........just to escape the horrible traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area