Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

my boyfriend and I are planning to relocate from Pittsburgh, PA to the Ft Lauderdale area this fall, and stumbling upon this site has not been very helpful. If all of you hate it so much, why do you live there??? Weather aside, does anyone have any encouraging thoughts?? Isn't there anyone out there who wants to stand up and sell me south florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
How old are you and your BF? If you are in your 20's or low 30's, you will love it here. Just make sure that both of you have good jobs before moving down.

Pro's of living in South Fla:
1. The weather- warm the entire year, you can go outside/to the beach all year around.
2. The beach- easy access.
3. Entertainment- there is a lot of stuff to do here. Lots of nightlife in Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

Con's:
1. The weather- is terrible. Brutally Hot & Humid most of the year. It rains often, and we get afternoon t-storms every day in the summer months. Also, hurricanes, tornadoes, and flooding are common.
2. The wildlife- An abundance of insects, mosquitos, bees, knats, alligators, and snakes.
3. The cost of living- is VERY expensive here. You may find that your salary isn't any better here than in Pittsburgh, but that housing and car insurance are nearly double.
4. The job market/economy- is terrible. Its really hard to find a job here if you don't have one already.
5. The crime- is worse here than most places. The tv show Cops began here.
6. The traffic/drivers- Traffic may be comparable coming from Pittsburgh, but the drivers here are crazy. This is the hit-and-run capital of the U.S.
7. The People- are rude, and will run you over. Its a dog-eat-dog mentality.
8. The Schools- right up there with Texas and Louisiana as the worst, most poorly-funding schools in the country. If you don't have kids then this will not be an issue for you.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM

207 posts, read 614,234 times
Wow! I am a Michigan girl, we have fam in PA! It will be a different experience, give it some time and then enjoy. We live in a section of Ft Laud, Plantation. There are a lot of parks and it is pretty diverse. Diverse amoung races, religion, as well as $$. We live in a pretty working class area. I am a stay at home mom and our neighborhood is quiet anyway but during the day, it is super quiet, everyone is working or at school. Anyhoo, we started out in Coral Springs which was nice too, but we feel more at home in Plantation. Our neighbors all wave to one another, talk to one another, and mainly help out one another. So it just depends what you are looking for. But I think you would do well in parts of Plantation, Coral Springs, Parkland, etc. But my vote will always be for Plantation, even their website boasts "the grass is greener" here. And coming from the midwest, there are parts that remind me of the midwest, because Plantation has beautiful vegetation. But like the other poster said, in so many words, be prepared to spend some $$!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 AM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
Don't get disappointed by the negative comments on the site. South Florida is really nice and sunny paradise.. you will enjoy it. Once you get used to it you will not want to move up north.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani RL View Post
my boyfriend and I are planning to relocate from Pittsburgh, PA to the Ft Lauderdale area this fall, and stumbling upon this site has not been very helpful. If all of you hate it so much, why do you live there??? Weather aside, does anyone have any encouraging thoughts?? Isn't there anyone out there who wants to stand up and sell me south florida?
1. If you go to other forums, you will soon learn that it's pretty bad almost everywhere. This is not a regional thing. The entire nation is struggling and you can feel the effects here in CD.

2. In this economy, it will be unwise to move without a secured job, unless you are already rich.

3. I found there are more positive posts than negative posts here in FLL board. Perhaps, you only remember the negative ones.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Nolefan, please be fair. It rains everyday, but for about 10 minutes.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
BAD BAD BAD everywhere!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM

124 posts, read 440,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Nolefan, please be fair. It rains everyday, but for about 10 minutes.

LMAO!! We were there a year ago in August and got caught in one of those thunderstorms in our way to our Miami hotel from Ft Lauderdale. By the time we got there (15 mins later) the sun was beaming!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
LMAO!! We were there a year ago in August and got caught in one of those thunderstorms in our way to our Miami hotel from Ft Lauderdale. By the time we got there (15 mins later) the sun was beaming!
The weather forecast for the day is thunderstorm.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM

124 posts, read 440,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
The weather forecast for the day is thunderstorm.
I can tell you that I was loving your 80+ degree and sunny weather last week!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area