Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

We are mainly moving to Florida as a "discovery" for us to decide where we want to settle down and raise a family. I grew up in Boca (for the first 15 years of my life) and my husband was born and raised in a Northern Virginia suburb of D.C. We are an interracial family with one child (2 yrs) and a solid 6 figure income.

I am learning towards Broward County versus Miami/Dade just because it's my understanding that it's a little more suburban. I would like to find a gated apartment/townhome community that is family friendly. Monthly rent (not interested in buying right now) not exceeding 2500. A neighborhood with a low crime rate is an absolute must.

I'm also interested in others opinions about private pre-schools. Our son will be (nearly 3) when we move and I would like to find a highly reputable private school that offers half day classes. I love the idea of a Montessori school although it is not an absolute must.

Any suggestions/ideas/information/further resources would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
With your budget you could probably find a nice house with a pool. I'd look at Weston.

I don't know much about pre-schools. I'm sure someone else will have that covered.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM

326 posts, read 1,452,949 times
Summit Questa Montessori in Davie (3yr to 8th grade) is very good. My daughter attended it, I know it by direct experience. Another good own is Rainbow Montessori in Hollywood, but I do not know that one directly. Both schools would be ok with accepting children your son's age.

My older daughter attended (the little one would have joined her in kindergarten) University school in Davie. Excellent school. It start at pre-K 4.
The best academically speaking is Pine Crest in northern Fort Lauderdale. Preppy, just like University school, and very demanding.

I lived in Hollywood east and drove both girls in 20 minutes to Davie (my job was there). No we moved up to CT.

If you would like to visit Summit Questa, ask to speak with Mrs. Kristin, the first cycle coordinator, and get a tour of the campus. It is very quaint.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM

98 posts, read 471,032 times
look at Weston... no better place!!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,223 times
Default Thanks So Much

Thanks for suggesting Weston. I wasn't familiar with the town prior but after looking at the Wiki demographics it seems like it's right on the money for our criterion. Approx. how far of a drive is Weston to the beach?

If anyone is familiar with apartment/townhome communities in the area please do say. I've been able to find St. Andrews at 100 Bonaventure Blvd. and Fairlake at 1201 Fairlake Blvd. They both look like very nice communities.

Thanks Vvolin for pointing out Pine Crest. I haven't been able to pull them up in any search engines and from the information on the website the school looks wonderful.

Thanks Again Everyone and Please keep the information coming!

Last edited by Blondie_44287; 03-27-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,944 times
Weston to beach is a good 30 minutes drive... With your rental budget you should try to get a house in a nice gated community instead of going a rental complex....

Good luck on the move

Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
If you like Weston, you might as well check out Parkland too.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
For $2500 a month you could rent a nice house in a nice neighborhood. I recommend Weston, Parkland, Davie (west), and Plantation as nice places to look. They are different in look and feel but all offer nice neighborhoods for families and will have the types of businesses and amenities that young families demand.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
I get nervous about renting a house in a gated community because of all the foreclosures. How are you to know that the people renting you the house are on the up and up. At least with the rental complex there is less worry. I would think.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I get nervous about renting a house in a gated community because of all the foreclosures. How are you to know that the people renting you the house are on the up and up. At least with the rental complex there is less worry. I would think.
If I were a renter, I would have the same concerns. I heard that the tenants are asking the financial status of the owner these days. I don't know the specifics, tho. Perhaps, request a mortgage statement? Is there any way to check whether the payment is behind? Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area