Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 AM

87 posts, read 256,778 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in San Juan, PR. I have been living in Orlando for two years. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Education and four years of teaching experience in the Island. I have to admit that Orlando is beautiful, pretty quiet, cheaper, green landscapes, clean, nice weather... but it is not the place where I would like to live for a long time... for many personal reasons. In spite of that, I have got accustomed to Orlando.

Looking for the conveniences of an urban area, I am considering a relocation to Broward County as well to start there a Master in Mental Health Counseling. I think that Broward County is not so active like Miami-Dade County, but not so quiet like Central Florida. I also have the impression that there are more opportunities as professional counselor in South Florida (I know the competition is stronger). I would like to read about the experiences of people who have moved from Central Florida to South Florida as well "objective" feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM

50 posts, read 195,669 times
Broward County is no Better than Orange. The only major difference between the 2 is being by the ocean.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Based on what facts, you affirm that?

Thank you for reply! Plaese, tell me about the facts; not only your perception or experience.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I've never lived in Orlando but I've visited numerous times. IMO Broward County is more diverse in its population, and less Southern-like than Orlando. You have more residents here who came from the Northeastern states rather than the Southern states.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 AM

Default I agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Broward County is... less Southern-like than Orlando. You have [in Broward County] more residents here who came from the Northeastern states rather than the Southern states.
In spite that progress is noticeable in Orlando as well new residents from almost anywhere nationwide, its personality remains being "southern"... maybe because still people with "southern trends" continues having the economic power of the region.

A key point to understand this matter is to study the political trends of local governments in Central Florida compared with local governents in South Florida. Both are completely different like to have two different states in one.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM

flmover>

Its more than the people. Its the layout of the land (stores, restaurants, etc) that are more Southern, and the more laid-back mentality there. The outer suburbs of Orlando are very redneckish too. The city of Orlando seems to be more progressive and more diverse these days. But its just way different than Broward County. The only thing those two places have in common is that they both are big metropolises now.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Broward County is much more urban, although essentially just a big suburban county to Miami, and has a Northern feel. Orlando, although a big city, is more Southern-feeling. I agree with Nolefan34, it's very true. Broward's also more diverse with all races and people from everywhere. An added benefit of Broward is being 20-30 minutes from Miami, and then you've got a world of things to do, and jobs to find.

To note, Western Broward is all suburban, and the nicest areas in West Broward are Parkland, Coral Springs, and Weston. Eastern Broward is suburban/urban, and all of it is very nice, with some exceptionally beautiful places like the area near Downtown Fort Lauderdale. Central Broward is the more run-down part, but as a whole Broward is safe and comfortable.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Orlando is southern-feeling and laid back? Orlando FL? Which suburbs are "rednecky?" Oviedo? Kissimmee? Deltona?

I must be living in a different Orlando. You guys talking about Orlando, Arkansas?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Orlando is southern-feeling and laid back? Orlando FL? Which suburbs are "rednecky?" Oviedo? Kissimmee? Deltona?

I must be living in a different Orlando. You guys talking about Orlando, Arkansas?

ASTOUNDING COMMENTS!

In spite that progress is noticeable in Orlando as well new residents from almost anywhere nationwide, its personality remains being "southern"..

The city of Orlando seems to be more progressive and more diverse these days.

Broward's also more diverse with all races and people from everywhere. An added benefit of Broward is being 20-30 minutes from Miami, and then you've got a world of things to do, and jobs to find.

The outer suburbs of Orlando are very redneckish too.

So, lemme get this straight. Progress, Progressive and Diverse are all synonyms.

Diversity is the litmus test for desirability.

Any native traditional towns are Redneck. Redneck is Bad. OK....

LOL Ask California, a bankrupt state going down the tubes more and more with PROGRESSIVE [a fake misnomer by Liberals] thinking such as creating "santuary cities" policies of hiding illegals when they commit crimes so they don't get deported.

Not to be guilty of ageism or anything but are you a bunch of 20 year old students falling for the liberal propaganda so classic to colleges and age groups? JEEZE

AT&T had a central IT organization in Orlando WAY BACK in the 1980's and the city was not needing any type of "PROGRESSIVE" thinking even then.

HOW in God's name are you defining PROGRESS and PROGRESSIVE (as if I don't know) and DIVERSE? Florida is NOT diverse it's Caucasion, Hispanic and AA. Pretty simple.

People on city data are dangerous on the Florida forum. Every answer is calculated through immigration and "progressive" and "minority" viewpoints but hidden under obtuse references.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 PM

RunWithSCissors>

Oh geeze. There was nothing political in anything I said. By more progressive all I meant is that the mentality here is more open-minded to gays and other thinking. But I guess if you look hard enough into someone's comments you'll take it to mean whatever you want it to mean. You are wrong about just about everything you said. I am not a student and I'm not a minority. But why does that matter anyways? Because if I were a student or a minority I would have no credibility, right? Your blatant racism and conservatism just reinforces the fact that Orlando is rednecky, and intolerant of other ways of thinking.

You are right though. Only a white conservative republican would know how to run our country. That's why you guys did such a wonderful job the last 8 years running our economy into the ground. Need I not remind you that FL is run by conservatives? And look at the mess we're in now. So apparently its not a "liberal" problem, its a conservative problem. Also, isn't the governor of Californian a conservative? Sorry, but I'm not some ignorant student who is propagandized as you assumed. I'm a worker in the real world and it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out that conservative economic policies of tax cuts for only wealthy people, outsourcing manufacturing jobs, and free-trade have done tons of damage to our country. The real propaghanda was Rush Limbaugh and George Bush brainwashing you into believing the things you just spewed. You are the one who's comments are "dangerous".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area