Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,320 times

Advertisements

I have recently relocated to Weston, FL from Bergen County, NJ and I have some questions to those who have moved here from up north.

1. It seems difficult to make friends here, and it seems like people are just not that friendly. They do say hello and smile when you walk by, but no one has welcomed us to the neighborhood, or invited us to dinner. What is the best way to meet people here for a couple in their early 30s with no children?

2. The community is very nice, and well manicured, but at times it feels like the movie the Truman Show. What is here that is authentic? Authentic Restaurants, local things to do...

3. At first, I felt a little culture shot, as I realized quickly that I am one of the few people within the community that does not speak fluent Spanish. Are there any places to find people of European decent, or are all people here from Latin America?

4. I noticed that although there are great common areas in a majority of the developement, none of them have tennis courts. Is there anywhere in Weston to play tennis, without paying for a country club? Where is a reasonably priced place to play golf?

5. What exactly live in the marshes that surround many of the developements in Weston? Are their aligators in those waters? Can you fish in those waters? Where are good places to freshwater fish? Is there any risk in canoeing in these canals?

I guess we can start there. We do have twins on the way, which I believe will help us get comfortable here as we will meet people through our children. But, after 2 months here, we have not settled into the community at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
I'm familiar with Bergen county as I had family that live there ages ago in Fortlee/Hackensack. Very different from SFL....

Try doing a search and you'll find some good info' http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12050389

Momabear on here lives in Weston and I'm sure she'll chime in later with good info'.

Last edited by tonyc; 04-10-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:45 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eripperg View Post
I have recently relocated to Weston, FL from Bergen County, NJ and I have some questions to those who have moved here from up north.

1. It seems difficult to make friends here, and it seems like people are just not that friendly. They do say hello and smile when you walk by, but no one has welcomed us to the neighborhood, or invited us to dinner. What is the best way to meet people here for a couple in their early 30s with no children?

2. The community is very nice, and well manicured, but at times it feels like the movie the Truman Show. What is here that is authentic? Authentic Restaurants, local things to do...

3. At first, I felt a little culture shot, as I realized quickly that I am one of the few people within the community that does not speak fluent Spanish. Are there any places to find people of European decent, or are all people here from Latin America?

4. I noticed that although there are great common areas in a majority of the developement, none of them have tennis courts. Is there anywhere in Weston to play tennis, without paying for a country club? Where is a reasonably priced place to play golf?

5. What exactly live in the marshes that surround many of the developements in Weston? Are their aligators in those waters? Can you fish in those waters? Where are good places to freshwater fish? Is there any risk in canoeing in these canals?

I guess we can start there. We do have twins on the way, which I believe will help us get comfortable here as we will meet people through our children. But, after 2 months here, we have not settled into the community at all.
Let me try to answer your questions. We moved here last year from north too.

1. I'll be surprised if my neighbors invite me for dinner. Did you expect it? Anyway, if you don't have kids, you have less options to make new friends. With kids, much easier.

2. Weston is a planned community so there's nothing authentic to it. For local activities, get information from Weston Community Center. Lots of activities.

3. I'm an Asian decent, so not all ppl are from Latin America. I have no idea where you can find European decent. Initially, it was a shock to hear Spanish everywhere, but we are 110% okay with it now.

4. There are 2 free tennis courts: Tequesta Trace middle and Emerald park. For reasonable membership, try Weston Tennis Club near Vacation Village. For higher end, try Midtown Athletic club.

5. Haven't explored the marshes.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:07 PM

98 posts, read 470,858 times
1. not to us, our neighbors were very friendly when we moved in, they came to say hello, but no invitations to dinner...lol
2. everything is authentic.... lol Weston authentic that is!!
3. there are europeans all over Weston, I'm Italian btw, but you won't find a place where they all hang out...
4. yes there are aligators in the marshes, yes you can fish and you can canoe and of course there is a risk like in any other place...

Old 04-11-2009, 12:45 PM

77 posts, read 297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eripperg View Post

Hi eripperg:

I am not living in Weston just yet, however, I thought I'd chime in as I will be in the same boat soon. My husband is currently living there during the week because of his new job and we hope to fully relocate there within the next couple of months. (I just got back from a visit there and plan to go back in a couple of weeks to check out some more preschools for my daughter).

1) I come from the northeast but have lived in florida for about 13 years. It was hard for me to make friends without children and I've found that people tend to stick together (not just in Weston) and do not want to reach out to 'newbies'. I think that's just Florida in general. However, once I had children I met MANY people so when your twins arrive try to join a playgroup which will be more for you to meet friends. I am a stay at home mom and this is what I plan to do once I move. I've already located some playgroups so if you are interested, please DM me and I will send you some information. I also plan to sign my daughter up for some classes at the YMCA and dance studio and hope I can make some friends that way. Unforntualtely, I don't think you'll get an invite for dinner any time soon....I don't think that happens much these days, although, when we get settled we'd love to make some new friends so come on over!

2) I visited Weston this past week and yes it is very manicured but I personally like the look and feel of it. I did sense a bit of snobbiness in the air but I'll ignore that for now.

3) I had the very same concern. I am white (an italian christian) from NY and my husband is an englishman from London. He's only been in the country for 8 years and neither of us speak spanish...maybe Hola and Adios but that's it! I was concerned if we'd "fit" in also since Weston has a large jewish and venuseulan population. I posted a thread on here called "Weston-Will I fit in". Search for it and read the posts. After hearing the responses from the folks on here I feel a lot better and know that it will take some time but we WILL fit in.

4) No idea.

5) I asked the realtor about the alligators in the lakes and he said there *probably* weren't any, but I wouldn't take my chances. I personally stay away from them, especially during mating season.

I know I'm not living there right now but I have been doing tons of research on the area (schools, activities, shopping, housing developments, etc) and the folks on here have been extremley helpful so I hope this helps you a little.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions and congratulations on your twins!!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Alligators:

http://www.westonfl.org/media/docs/m...s_Brochure.pdf

Go to page 30 if it doesn't open to that page.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
5) I asked the realtor about the alligators in the lakes and he said there *probably* weren't any, but I wouldn't take my chances. I personally stay away from them, especially during mating season.
i guess she didn't want to scare you, just sell you the house...lol
this picture is from my backyard about a year ago, and is not the only on I have seen.... so there you have it....

Weston, FL. Daily Photo: Visitor

Old 04-11-2009, 02:23 PM

188 posts, read 587,715 times
Westondailyphoto,
Do you mind me asking in what development that was taken???
good photo!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
Westondailyphoto,
Do you mind me asking in what development that was taken???
good photo!
Very good question Tankev!! I'd like to avoid THAT development. LOL!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:07 PM

the Ridges, but keep in mind all lakes are connected.... aligators travel.... lol
I have seen them in Savanna too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area