Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM

22 posts, read 152,060 times

Advertisements

i am moving to fort lauderdale area, but still unsure where exactly. I will be going to college at Nova Southeastern University for Marine Biology. I am looking for a decent, low crime rate, to live with my fiance. I want to find a place to settle down at, since in a few years we are gonna have our first kid. What would you suggest would be the nicest, not to expensive, low crime rate, place to live near fort lauderdale and near the ocean. Also, easiest commute to NSU. Suggestions pleaseee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,839,086 times
Davie and Plantation would have the easiest commute and low crime.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM

30 posts, read 91,893 times
Try the Nova web site under off campus housing and buy or rent, there is a link to a realtor that works with the univ. I met her a few weeks ago when I was in the area pre looking for a place for my son who will be a grad student also. She is very nice, helpful and she knows the area really well. All the rentals she showed me were in great shape and very clean.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM

326 posts, read 1,454,066 times
Since you do not need to buy right away and have no school age children yet, I recommend renting in the Davie area or, if you need to be very close to the ocean (good for you!), Hollywood or Hallandale

Old 05-18-2009, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOlLFACEx View Post
i am moving to fort lauderdale area, but still unsure where exactly. I will be going to college at Nova Southeastern University for Marine Biology. I am looking for a decent, low crime rate, to live with my fiance. I want to find a place to settle down at, since in a few years we are gonna have our first kid. What would you suggest would be the nicest, not to expensive, low crime rate, place to live near fort lauderdale and near the ocean. Also, easiest commute to NSU. Suggestions pleaseee!

I'm in grad school at NSU and there are plenty of places to be. Plantation is probably the most expensive, and nicest area. However, Plantation traffic going towards NSU is really not fun. It starts around 3pm and continues through 6pm. I lived in Plantation (directly on University Drive) and it sometimes took 45 minutes to go to or from school depending on the day. I now live in Sunforest apartments (directly across from the health professions division on NSU's campus), quick walk to classes now.

I also lived in Hollywood (right at the Hollywood/Davie border) on University Drive & Stirling road, and the drive was less than 5 minutes to school and it was a safe area. If you go too far into hollywood (as you go east, it ges worse), it won't be as safe and the drive gets longer.

Davie is the best bet for conenience and safety.

Pembroke pines is safe, nice and also a lot of newer apartments/condos. The apartments will be nicer and higher end than in Davie. It's farther than Plantation, but the drive takes about the same in my experience. Again, depends on the time of day. You can get to NSU from plantation in 5 minutes at midnight

There is also Cooper City, Weston, Fort Lauderdale, Tamarac, Sunrise...depends on what is most important. I know some friends of mine live directly on the beach. They pay a lot in rent, have a longer drive, but love to step out on the sand and study or relax.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM

16 posts, read 44,767 times
There are plenty of choices. Alot depends on your budget, whether you want to buy or rent and your choice of proximity (beach or school). You'll really need to plan a premove house hunting trip to familarize yourself with the area. If you're looking for a permanent home (a place to raise kids) you'll probably want to avoid beach communities. The further west (inland) you go the more family-friendly (affordable) neighborhoods you'll find. Working with a realtor (buying or renting) will be your best bet. Previous posts have given lots of suggestions and you can learn about all of these communities on city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area