Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 PM

44 posts, read 251,202 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My fiance and I are moving to either Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale by the end of the year. I´m originally from NYC, so a downtown area is a must for me. It seems Hollywood, Aventura, and other downtowns take a backseat to Miami and Las Olas ... can anybody tell me the difference between both downtown areas?

BTW I see some cheap condo townhomes in East Lauderdale right near Olas Bvd so knowing the downtowns is especially important.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:18 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
South Beach.....anything in the "SOUTH OF 5th street" area in South Beach is in huge demand...like a different world in that southern point of South Beach. Rent is anywhere from 2k-4k a month. Very trendy and vey cool place to live.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,667 times
You want to move to Downtown Miami or Miami Beach? Two completely different 10 minutes away from each other but worlds apart. Being your from NYC Brickell in Downtown Miami sounds like the place for you everything close together and open late. Same thing with South Beach in Miami Beach.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
I like downtown Miami because traffic is NOT THAT BAD for a big city. It also has much more stunning views than Las Olas, and more things to do. Many people get intimidated by Miami's downtown because of its reputation for crime, big city security problems, and because it is overrun with foreigners. Only 10% of the city (on a good day) can call themselves white-Americans, and half of them are probably bums or street walking drug addicts on a cross country adventure/vacation from another part of the country.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I like downtown Miami because traffic is NOT THAT BAD for a big city. It also has much more stunning views than Las Olas, and more things to do. Many people get intimidated by Miami's downtown because of its reputation for crime, big city security problems, and because it is overrun with foreigners. Only 10% of the city (on a good day) can call themselves white-Americans, and half of them are probably bums or street walking drug addicts on a cross country adventure/vacation from another part of the country.
Las Olas is probably 75% white americans , on any given day if that is important to you and honestly I like Down Town Ft.Lauderdale and Las Olas including the beach on A1A as much or more than Downtown Miami or Brickell . Less pretensiousness , more laid back and friendlier .

Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM

268 posts, read 899,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Cuba Libre !!! THE City-Data LEGEND !!!!!!!! KEEPIN IT REAL BRO.... u da man!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Cuba Libre !!! THE City-Data LEGEND !!!!!!!! KEEPIN IT REAL BRO.... u da man!
-Bulls flat out refuse to fight Cuba Libre.

-Cuba Libre once taught a German Shepherd to bark, in Spanish.

-Cuba Libre once arm wrestled Fidel.

-Lucha libres remove their masks when in the presence of Cuba Libre

Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM

145 posts, read 302,194 times
I live on Miami Beach and am moving up to Lauderdale soon.. I've been looking for a place on line, but the market seems odd. In downtown Miami it is now possible to rent a nice 1bd apt for 1k. But I can't find similar deals in F.L. Is this right?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendthrift View Post
I live on Miami Beach and am moving up to Lauderdale soon.. I've been looking for a place on line, but the market seems odd. In downtown Miami it is now possible to rent a nice 1bd apt for 1k. But I can't find similar deals in F.L. Is this right?
the rents in downtown fort lauderdale are beyond stupid in price. Why would you leave Miami to come to Fort Lauderdale?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
My understanding is that the condo overbuilding in Miami has placed MANY rental units on the market, resulting in good deals on rentals. There were nowhere near as many units built in Fort Lauderdale during the "boom."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area