Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
They feel you can take care of yourself with $11.75 a hour working part-time?

Really.
Yes, really. It's not my job to support you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 04:16 AM

305 posts, read 805,297 times
Would any of you advise relocation right now? I can go to Texas or more so Dallas.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Nope. Stay where you are. I studied psychology (and sociology) in grad school and let me tell you...One of the contributing factors to situational poverty is self induced 'sudden change'. In other words, if you have no true reason to relocate, start up some risky business venture, etc. just stay right where you are and make the most of it. You need to rearrange your priorities. Someone earlier pointed out some steps you should take (sell the car for blue book value, get a used but usable one. Quit the gym, get debt help, etc). And yes, you are correct about public assistance. Had you been a 16 year old girl with 6 children, I'd happily support ya! It's the American way....(sarcarsm). However, you're able bodied, you can work, so you won't get much help from the gov't. Just be creative with what you already have.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Would any of you advise relocation right now? I can go to Texas or more so Dallas.
Move if and only if you can find a solid job with a company that doesn't have financial trouble. Dont just pack up and go. If you can not find a job out there first then sit tight.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I don't think that I said it would be easy, any more than your suggestion that the OP double up on CC payments. But, since the alternative is giving up, I'd opt for my suggestion of trying to find additional work over your kvetching about the economy.

Condos these days are in dire straights. It's very likely that he could get a job in security that would include housing. I don't live in Broward now but have for years and am in contact with decades old friends who are still there. I also am trying to fill two security positions in condos in other parts of the state now- both include a 3/2 condo. We have just filled two others in central FL.

I spent more time than I thought I would with no income until a year ago. Many of us have been there, many are there now. The most critical thing, IMO, is not to give up because there are no jobs out there. There ARE jobs. Some good, some not so good. You are correct, however, that they are very hard to come by. Also, the people with masters degrees don't have the edge when it comes to working at a place like World Market. Someone with recent retail experience will more often than not be hired before a degreed person BC the managers will assume the person with the degree will split once a better job is found.

To get by, I began working marketing gigs at stayingconnected.com. The jobs dried up for a while but they have been posting a lot of openings lately. I still try to do it at least two days a month now BC I ran through my savings when not working. You book it online, go to the gig, hand out samples and you are done. Pays about $17 an hour. It does require standing on your feet for five hours, so is not for everyone, but may be worth checking out.

To get back on topic, I believe that the OP said he lives at home. That could be the reason that he isn't eligible for foods stamps. There is a formula that is used and I bet that's what is keeping him from qualifying.

Also to the OP- just don't give up and try to stay positive. Although I know that it is easy to say that when one is working and at times impossible to do when not.
Good suggestions, but again finding a second job is very unlikely right now. Not saying he shouldn't try. just saying he should go into it with a realistic mentality.

As for
Quote:
I'd opt for my suggestion of trying to find additional work over your kvetching about the economy
To ignore the economic reality is silly. There are two types of decisions, emotional ones and intelligent ones. Understanding what is going on around you so you can make the best decisions is the intelligent one and I would choose that over wondering around aimlessly any day of the week. Right now a better choice would be to study what is going on in the economy, figure out what jobs will be in demand when this is all done and then get training in it. As Fauve said though stick to BCC or one of the state run votech schools. I also stress, still look for jobs, just go into it with a realistic attitude, its tough out there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
This is a great idea. Just make sure you go to Broward College which is affordable vs. some kind of tech school, etc. They may tell you they can get you loans, etc, and they may be able to, but you will be paying these off with your social security. They are not dischargeable even in bankruptcy and private tech school can easily run over $100k. The interest rates can go up crazy high and the nightmare stories about these loans are really horrible.
This is so true about the high cost of education. They have pall grants and all that other stuff for economically disadvantaged so maybe he will qualify? Just has to fill out a fafsa. If you don't want to borrow just be sure to say you are not interested in loans just grants and work study

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
When I was in high school I spent a lot of my free time learning how to work on computers and write software... I took some classes in high school but for the most part I taught myself... By the time I graduated I already had solid programming skills, so instead of going away to college I looked for internships and found one... I started working as a software developer at 17 and had no problems finding jobs in MD or here in JAX...

The key to finding a job in this economy is having a marketable skill... You have to have some skills that distinguish you from the average joe... Nobody is entitled to a job, you have to be worth something to whomever is hiring you...

To the OP I suggest spending your free time learning a skill... If you are into computers there are plenty of books that you can pick up and learn on your own... I bricked plenty of computers while I was learning... If thats not your thing pick up some accounting books and learn how to use quickbooks so you can get a job as a bookkeeper for a small business or something...

There are a number of these skills that you can learn on your own for very little money... You don't have to have a degree to list your skills on your resume... If you make yourself marketable you WILL get hired... There are lots of people getting hired in the IT and medical fields right now...

Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 AM

305 posts, read 805,297 times
I have a 2 year degree in Networking from Keiser College back in 98 but I only have 1 year of work experience, also I have a A+ cert with a N+.

I mostly do Security Guard jobs since I don't have to speak as often, I have a slight speech impedement.

I did sign back up for college at bcc, I signed up for Biomedical Engineering Technology. Starts in August...

I do have about 28 thousand in loans from Keiser that hasn't done anything for me at all.

As for skills, honestly I think I.T is dead and I'm trying to do anything that I can handle until I graduate with a degree in a more hotter field that has actual jobs.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
I have a 2 year degree in Networking from Keiser College back in 98 but I only have 1 year of work experience, also I have a A+ cert with a N+.

I mostly do Security Guard jobs since I don't have to speak as often, I have a slight speech impedement.

I did sign back up for college at bcc, I signed up for Biomedical Engineering Technology. Starts in August...

I do have about 28 thousand in loans from Keiser that hasn't done anything for me at all.

As for skills, honestly I think I.T is dead and I'm trying to do anything that I can handle until I graduate with a degree in a more hotter field that has actual jobs.
You just got into the wrong specialty in IT... A large company really only needs a few sys admins per building... Sys admins don't make as much and they aren't really in demand... There are tons of developer jobs out there if that is something you think you could learn... Being a software developer was rated as being the #1 job in the washington post because you can make the most money with the least amount of education... I only have an A.A.S. in computer programming and I got that while I was working full time... Most of my degree was paid for by the company I was working for at the time... The DOD will always need people to write software for them... Anywhere there is a base there are jobs in IT...

I was just trying to reccomend something as a more permanent solution to your problem... In the accounting or IT field you can start at the bottom and establish a serious career... I don't know where being a security guard will take you in the long run...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
I don't know where being a security guard will take you in the long run...
Did you miss the part where he said he signed up at Broward College to study Biomedical Engineering Technology?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
When I was in high school I spent a lot of my free time learning how to work on computers and write software... I took some classes in high school but for the most part I taught myself... By the time I graduated I already had solid programming skills, so instead of going away to college I looked for internships and found one... I started working as a software developer at 17 and had no problems finding jobs in MD or here in JAX...

The key to finding a job in this economy is having a marketable skill... You have to have some skills that distinguish you from the average joe... Nobody is entitled to a job, you have to be worth something to whomever is hiring you...

To the OP I suggest spending your free time learning a skill... If you are into computers there are plenty of books that you can pick up and learn on your own... I bricked plenty of computers while I was learning... If thats not your thing pick up some accounting books and learn how to use quickbooks so you can get a job as a bookkeeper for a small business or something...

There are a number of these skills that you can learn on your own for very little money... You don't have to have a degree to list your skills on your resume... If you make yourself marketable you WILL get hired... There are lots of people getting hired in the IT and medical fields right now...
I am in the IT field for the last 10 plus years. Most of my friends are programmers and network admins. While non of use have lost jobs we all have been looking for jobs else where. I assure you, finding a IT job right now is not the easiest thing in the world to do. One search on monster for jobs in dade and broward will prove that. Most are temp jobs and pay crap. New York City has a ton on monster but again a lot are temp jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area